The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Which Season.....?

Which Season was the best on DVD

Telekinesis429

[1]Aug 15, 2008
    • level: 8
    I'm think about buying one of the seasons on DVD, which is the best one for the money. I haven't really payed clost attention to the story. I know the main plots, Scully's Baby, Mulder leaves, ect, ect. But I don't know episodes by episodes. I obviuosly thought Season One, but is that a waste of money, or do you need to watch the seasons in order. Cuz i understood most of the show without watching the first few years, granted a referance here or there. I haven't seen the finale though...Okay that's long and boring, and if you understood it then i thank you. If you didn't, long story short, what season should i buy first?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

diZZyWiNk56tml

[2]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 4

i think that the best way to see all of the episodes and to truely enjoy and appreciate the series is if you were to buy the seasons in order and watch the show in the order and way that it aired. there will always be a handful of episodes from each season that will most likely be confusing to you if you havent seen the series from the beginning, but thats just my opinion. but anyway to answer your question, pretty much every season is absolutley amazing and well worth the money. and if i were to rank each season it would be like this:

6, 5, 7, 1, 3, 2, 4, 8, 9

but like i said ALL of them are amazing. and this is just my person opinion. but anyway i hope i helped and have fun with your new dvds !!

torn_and_frayed

[3]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 5

totally agree with your ranking. (but i might have put S9 b4 S8.)

mimoji

[4]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 14
    torn_and_frayed wrote:

totally agree with your ranking. (but i might have put S9 b4 S8.)

nah, season 9 only has one mulder episode - it can't be before season 8

Stitchme2gether

[5]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 3

I agree with the others here that ideally, none of the seasons should be skipped in order to get the full X-Files experience. Because I've seen all the seasons in order, and know the history of what came before each one, I don't know which one would be better on its own. I would definetly start with season 1, though. If for no other reason than to see M&S go from perfect strangers to having total trust in each other. If you were to skip season 2, you'd miss the whole Scully abduction arc. Season 3 could probably be skipped without missing too much, other than a few very funny episodes and the introduction of the black oil. Seasons 4 and 5, IMO, are must-sees, mainly because of Scully's cancer arc. GA's performance, while always exceptional, was absolutely terrific during these 2 seasons. For me, season 6, from top to bottom, is the best season of the series. Season 7 is terrific as well, mainly because M&S's personal relationship moves forward in leaps and bounds. And season 8 & 9 are standouts for me, like 4 & 5, because of GA's performance. She does the whole sadness thing better than anyone around, and 8 & 9 have plenty of Scully being sad.

Regardless of which season(s) you choose to buy, you really can't go wrong.

Audrey_Allen

[6]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 10
    4-5 are probably my favorites, but I thought 6 had the best MOTW episodes. 7-8 is good if you're a hardcore shipper (and if you can ignore Scully's year long pregnancy in . 1-3 I haven't really watched much. And season nine makes my eyes bleed. Except for Audrey Pauley and The Truth.

CaptainHarkness

[7]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 23
    If I were you I would start from the beginning. That's what I did.

Pennfana

[8]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 6

I didn't start from the beginning—I watched seasons 6 and 7 first and then worked my way back to season 1, eventually watching seasons 8 and 9. That's not an approach that I would recommend, though; there are parts of the series' overall plot that can be a bit difficult to understand if you get plopped down in the middle of it like I did. Starting from season 1 and then working your way through the rest would probably be your best bet.

That said, I'm especially fond of seasons 4-6, so if you don't want to start from the beginning, I recommend one of these.

Telekinesis429

[9]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    Thanks everyone for the help. I picked Season 1, not only for the obvious reason, but because the store only had Seasons 1,7,8, & 9. Season 1 was also the cheapest. I just got it yesteryday so I've only watched like three episodes....

Piper_freeze

[10]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 19
    You start at the beginning!! YAY! It was fate! Now have fun!

LadyInque

[11]Dec 12, 2008
    • level: 24
    Im gonna say "best" seasons in general of the X-Files Best Season:
    S1
    S4
    S2
    S3
    S7
    S5
    S6
    S8
    S9

Now On DVD:
    S4
    S1
    S5
    S6
    S7
    S2
    S3
    S8
    S9