The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Will I eventually start liking the show?

Jaevko

[1]Dec 8, 2012
    • level: 1
    First off, if I seem like I'm trolling I am sorry, that is not my intention. I'm not trying to insult fans of the show, I'm just trying to get information.

I love well-done sci-fi shows. BSG (the first few seasons anyway), firefly, dollhouse, etc... were all fantastic shows imho. I got into the X-Files thinking that I would immediately love it, however, about a dozen episodes into Season 1, I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

There is a certain lack of consistency in the "rules" of the universe of the show that really bugs me. It almost feels like the show is suffering from mild "Lost" syndrome, where the writers are just making stuff up as they go along, without an explanation even in their own minds. That's okay for some viewers, but for me (if that's what is really going on) that is a show-stopper. Scully is also really silly: she claims to be rational and scientific, but a truly rational and scientific mind that has seen the things that she has seen would start "believing" in a hurry. To me it seems that she is not a "skeptic", but simply a willful idiot.

Also, most of the episodes in general so far seem to just be a little silly in general, from the acting to the plots (although there have been a few really great ones, like the one in the Arctic with the sort-of-zombie alien parasite).

I know that the Scully thing won't go away, and that she'll continue acting and thinking that way throughout season after season of contrary evidence. My question, however, is if my other gripes with the show get better as the show progresses? Or will I never enjoy it? I want to like it but am considering moving on to a different show if the show stays like this much longer :/
    Edited on 12/08/2012 3:04pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hexsins

[2]Dec 20, 2012
    • level: 6

Yes. After Season One, which has some weak points, the show gets better and better, until S8 and S9, when it pretty much goes off the rails.

The order of seasons from best to worst are something like this:

3, 4, 5, 2, 6, 7, 1

Jaevko

[3]Dec 27, 2012
    • level: 1

Thanks for the response; a couple of weeks ago I completely stopped watching, but I'll start up again based on what you said. I appreciate it!

tv_Rescue911

[4]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 50
    I agree with Hexsins. I watched the entire series on Netflix last year. Season 1 was a bit of a chore to get through, but it picks up after that. The high point of the series is Seasons 3-6. Season 3 was when I really got into it.
    Edited on 01/07/2013 12:32am
    Edited 2 total times.

ArtCorvelay

[5]Jan 10, 2013
    • level: 8

I felt the exact same way in season one and two. I found them to be immensely disappointing for the same reasons. That being said though, you HAVE to watch at least through season 3. That's when things start to click (4 is better still). And the things that stay the same, such as the occasional corniness, actually begin to work in the show's benefit. I felt like quitting in season one as well but I'm glad I didn't because seasons 3-7 are excellent and now the X-Files is one of my all-time favorite series.

wildhoney66

[6]Jan 12, 2013
    • level: 13

i have the entire series on dvd. yet i haven't watched the whole show on dvd yet. he he. but i've seen nearly the whole show. and it's been awhile since i last watched the show. season 1 i think is a great season but it's a weak one it's got some damn fine episodes but some weak one as well and ICE is one that i think is subpar cause it's just a remake of "The Thing' some of the ideas that are used in some of the episodes are nothing new and some of them are great. like "Squeeze' a really creepy episode that is a great one as well. season 3 sounds about right where it's really good. but that doesn't mean season 2 isn't enjoyable it is.

as for the last 2 seasons those also have both weak and strong episodes. the entire show is like that. there's some bad episodes no matter the era it's in and there's some damn good ones as well . i actually enjoy the last 2 seasons. they are what they are. i like the chracters John Dogget and his partner are a good match and i really care about them when i am at that era. but Mulder is missed. as for Scully it takes a long time for her to believe what's actually happening. i always believed that she at some point does become a believer but has trouble accepting it. and that i believe is addressed in the show. and the reason she has trouble more so is cause she knows her stuff when it comes to science, and she belives when she sees and with all the stuff she does in fact see she has a hard time accepting the fact that this or that is real. and once she and mulder do believe this is real cause they are shown proof.

there are many times throughout the series where they are proven wrong in what is real and what is fake. so both have them have a hard time

believing what is real and what is fake cause they are told many truths and than lies and than truths and so forth. wouldn't you be confused as well? by the last 2 seasons she is a believer. and i'm not going to say how she is a believer but her proof is that it's hard to by than disproove what's she was actually shown and found herself. it's confusing i know. but it's worth a watch my friend. sorry if i put in any spoilers i tried NOT to. but this is my view on the show.

Hutchy_TVSeries

[7]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 10
    Hexsins wrote:

Yes. After Season One, which has some weak points, the show gets better and better, until S8 and S9, when it pretty much goes off the rails.

The order of seasons from best to worst are something like this:

3, 4, 5, 2, 6, 7, 1

Thanks for this.