The X-Files Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

XF3 Campaign

ChipsTheButler

[61]Aug 17, 2011
    • level: 9
    kurgan1O1 wrote:

Multiple sources over the last year have stated they are writing it including Fox All Access. As for the time-line, keep in mind that the IWTB greenlight was announced in late October 2007 and filming began on December 10th 2007. Filming wrapped on March 15th 2008 and it was released on July 25th 2008. So it's not impossible and it's happened for "The X-Files" before.

All that to say, there is still time

There has been a credit crisis since then, and movie funding has been hard to come by. Look to more recent films and you'll see a much longer lead-in time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[62]Aug 18, 2011
    • level: 15
    I dont really listen to nay sayers. I remember being on here before IWTB was even close to a reality and everyone was like "its not gonna happen" Fox isnt into it, wah wah wah. Well, I always hoped and actually put in an honest effort along with thousands of other fans, and it got made, so people are are sitting there saying "money this and no one cares that" I just dont listen. Ill wait to hear from CC and FOX.

Frankburnsflagg

[63]Aug 18, 2011
    • level: 13
    Same here. I don't let that kind of energy get in my way there. If it happens, it happens; if it doesn't, it doesn't. In the end, what matters is that we're trying are best in terms of having a 3rd one happen. And whether FOX likes it or not, fans are still here. And if they say no to it, it's their loss (Fox's that is).

ChipsTheButler

[64]Aug 18, 2011
    As opposed to the loss they made on IWTB.

kurgan1O1

[65]Aug 19, 2011
    • level: 3

we the x-files fans came to an agreement… film X-Files 3 must happen

This of course reminded us that X-Files is still very much alive. Darin Morgan discussed how shows like Fringe try to attempt X-Files authenticity, but they were missing a key element: Chemistry. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson's partnership carried the series in a way that cannot be recreated. Then he said that on Fringe, the question was always asked, "What would X-Files do?"

kurgan1O1

[66]Aug 19, 2011

we need a good conclusion for the mythology so Fox Gives us the Green Light for x-files 3

kurgan1O1

[67]Aug 19, 2011

what is the fox email address ?

ChipsTheButler

[68]Aug 28, 2011
    Chris Carter can't get anyone to put money into distributing a finished movie. Lol.

keepgoinFBIWmn

[69]Sep 1, 2011
    OMG chips you are really annoying. Ive been trying to comment on this thread for a while but couldnt get access to it...
    First of all at Chips...
    Like, what is ur deal on here? Are you a troll just to make fans feel like crap? You are negative about everything....BTW How exactly did IWTB LOSE money? It cost $30 mill to make and they grossed almost 39$ mill. How is making 39$ mill LOSING money? Id love for YOU to open a movie on the same SUMMER weekend as DARK KNIGHT and see how well YOURS does. If you think the show is over or whatever, thats fine, but leave those of us who have SEEN good things happening and have hope alone.

Also, I have created a letter writting camppign on facebook called WRITE THE FUTURE: X-Files 3 Campaign. Check out and join. We can make this happpen! Frank Spotniz said "Dont give up" and I wont!

keepgoinFBIWmn

[70]Sep 1, 2011
    and yes, I realize there are spelling errors, blah blah blah

ChipsTheButler

[71]Sep 5, 2011
    keepgoinFBIWmn wrote:
    OMG chips you are really annoying. Ive been trying to comment on this thread for a while but couldnt get access to it...
    First of all at Chips...
    Like, what is ur deal on here? Are you a troll just to make fans feel like crap? You are negative about everything....BTW How exactly did IWTB LOSE money? It cost $30 mill to make and they grossed almost 39$ mill. How is making 39$ mill LOSING money? Id love for YOU to open a movie on the same SUMMER weekend as DARK KNIGHT and see how well YOURS does. If you think the show is over or whatever, thats fine, but leave those of us who have SEEN good things happening and have hope alone.

Also, I have created a letter writting camppign on facebook called WRITE THE FUTURE: X-Files 3 Campaign. Check out and join. We can make this happpen! Frank Spotniz said "Dont give up" and I wont!

If you take out the cost of the movie, plus the cost of promotion, plus the cut the cinema takes... really, would there be any money left? Gross is income before expenses.

kurgan1O1

[72]Sep 7, 2011

Gillian Anderson talks about X-Files 3

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/xfiles-3-rumored-2012-release/

God I really hope this comes off, it should be a fitting end to The X Files franchise. Please Chris, get your finger out and get this film made. Thanks for the info by the way

Gillian Anderson talks about X-Files 3

C_J_B_Spender

[73]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 7

keepgoinFBIWmn wrote:
    OMG chips you are really annoying. Ive been trying to comment on this thread for a while but couldnt get access to it... First of all at Chips... Like, what is ur deal on here? Are you a troll just to make fans feel like crap? You are negative about everything....BTW How exactly did IWTB LOSE money? It cost $30 mill to make and they grossed almost 39$ mill. How is making 39$ mill LOSING money? Id love for YOU to open a movie on the same SUMMER weekend as DARK KNIGHT and see how well YOURS does. If you think the show is over or whatever, thats fine, but leave those of us who have SEEN good things happening and have hope alone. Also, I have created a letter writting camppign on facebook called WRITE THE FUTURE: X-Files 3 Campaign. Check out and join. We can make this happpen! Frank Spotniz said "Dont give up" and I wont!

Chips is annoying. Sadly, he's about the only person in these forums who is regularly active. See: my having last logged in over a month ago, and the dozen or two posts since.

ChipsTheButler

[74]Oct 11, 2011

OK, I'll set out my reasons as to why I don't think there will be a third film.

1- It's a TV show movie. It's difficult to make a TV show movie because it involves the film arm of a company using the property of its TV arm. This may sound trivial, but it isn't, as the people who make the decisions see it as something that's difficult to take the credit for (assuming a success), since the people on the TV arm would take the credit for creating and promoting the franchise in the first place. Look at TV show movies and you'll see that there was some sort of push from the higher ups- The Simpsons Movie, Sex and the City, and so on.

2- It's a show that's been dead for a long time. It's incredibly difficult to bring people's consciousness back to something that's been asleep for this long- and most people moved on several years before the show ended, and weren't aware of IWTB

3- It doesn't have the right sort of nostalgic factor. Fans decry that people will flock to another movie because of the nostalgic value. However, if you look at the sort of movies that are being made that cash in on nostalgia, it's all movies that lean on childhood nostalgia. Tintin, Transformers, Smurfs- all these cash in on the late 80s-early 90s memories the childhood of cashed up twenty-somethings. Pitch a show that reminds people of their teen years? It's difficult to pitch "remember those awkward years where you struggled with your identity? That's a part of people's lives that everyone needs to be nostalgic about."

4- The last movie flopped. Even if it made a profit, it was incredibly scant. The US audience was a small (relatively) percentage of the overall audience, and studios (stupidly) weight the importance of the US audience over international audiences, so that is a problem for them. Yes, it premiered at the same time as TDK, but that's Fox;s stupidity there. It's not like TDK's release date was a secret, it was released long before IWTB's release date was made known to audiences. My theory is that the promotion people betted on IWTB attracting a different sort of audience that TDK would; effectively taking what's left over after the juggernaut. Sadly a lack of a promotion budget (IWTB was seriously promoted on the cheap... teaser websites are cheap but sadly only appeal to people who would go to the movie anyway) meant that it was swamped and pushed aside. Who knows, maybe Fox did it on purpose, to try to stop Chris Carter from talking to them about making a third movie that requires a budget.

5- And lastly, if you were to make some sort of a movie, based on a successful TV franchise that's about supernatural elements and people who investigate it... why wouldn't you put the money into Supernatural instead? It's popular, it's profitable now, and it's ripe for all sorts of exploitation. I'm surprised one hasn't been made already.*

* I'm not a fan of Supernatural, but I'm realistic regarding its huge fanbase.

C_J_B_Spender

[75]Oct 12, 2011

I personally have little to no childhood-related nostalgia. All my favorite music is the stuff I heard as a teenager. The X-Files is my favorite show. Stuff from my childhood I couldn't care less about because I largely don't even remember it, and didn't enjoy it at the time.

But I suppose that could be down to my weird personality and various head injuries, thus not applying to normal people.

C_J_B_Spender

[76]Oct 12, 2011

Anyway, regardless of that, a 2012/Alien Invasion X-Files movie would be a whole different box-office animal than IWTB was. IWTB had almost no target audience outside of starved, nostalgic X-Philes. An action packed 2012 movie would appeal to your general action/sci-fi/suspense audience as well, giving it serious box-office potential that IWTB never had.

The movie's gross doubled its budget. FOX is a profit-seeking entity. I don't think they really care that much where the money comes from as long as they make it. The newpapers and radio hosts might only look at US grosses, but FOX is looking at red ink and black ink. IWTB created a lot of black ink for them relative to its budget.

tvtome_xena321

[77]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 27
    Does the movie have to go to the theaters, it could be a direct to dvd movie or tv movie?

kurgan1O1

[78]Nov 17, 2011

for me everything is okay I wantthe storyline the aliens invasion, for 2012 then we have finally a proper ending for The mythology of The X-Files