The X-Files

Herrenvolk (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 04, 1996 on FOX

• Mulder and Scully attempt to hide Jeremiah Smith from the assassin and Mulder learns some new information

The season 3 finale left a bitter taste in my mouth; not that it wasn't as exciting as previous episodes or finales, but it left us on such a cliffhanger that it felt as if it was lazily done. The second part does nothing to make me necessarily feel like this is a great installment of X-Files, but it definitely opens the doors to many different ideas.. but still, I feel just as in the dark as I ever was.

Most of the episode is dedicated to the alien shapeshifter from Season 2 chasing after Mulder and Smith while Scully attempts to stop Mulder from a distance. Meanwhile, we also see the passing of "X," the man who has been helping Mulder since the beginning of Season 2. It's a shame to see him go, as he had most of the answers that Mulder needed, but at least he left behind a message for Mulder to follow.

The thing that frustrated me the most about this little plot was that we were given only the bare necessities to understand what was going on. We really weren't given anything close to an answer or even a hint of an answer. Sure, it was nice to see Mulder reunite with his sister, but Jeremiah Smith tells us it's not his sister, simply a clone, which makes us wonder what in the world these clones are being invented for. Mulder keeps saying "colonization," but what does the Cigarette Smoking Man have to do with that, let alone Mulder's mother? It just doesn't make sense, and it would help if we were given some background information or something.

Some friends of mine told me Seasons four, five and six were his favorites, so it should be interesting to see what we get out of them.
LOGO