The X-Files

Hollywood A.D.

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 30, 2000 on FOX

• Duchnovy returns to the writer/director chair with a hilarious look at the mess that Hollywood would make of an X-Files movie.

While not flawless the way that "Bad Blood" was, this episode stands up with the other comedy episodes and holds its head high. Duchovny's wit and comedic timing shine through in a script chock full of "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" in-jokes and references. And they mostly work. His real-life wife Tea Leoni guest-stars as herself as the movie Scully and Gary Shandling gives a great performance as the movie version of Mulder. The overarching X-File concerning the Lazurus Bowl isn't spectacular, but David clearly did some research, and it's mostly just a plot device to set up the inept Hollywood interpretation anyway, so...
    We even get funny Skinner here, and that's a beautiful rarity that must be savored. The only real faults in the show are a dancing pile of bones and a large dance number featuring zombies at the end. The latter at least ties into some previous dialogue, but it's still quite a bit too much and crosses from funny into silly.
    But all in all, another great humor episode that puts Duchovny at 2-for-2.
  • Hollywood A.D.

Hollywood A.D. was a perfect and extremely awesome episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because this episode was different and the story was a great stand alone poke fun at itself pleasure. I loved the sense of humor and I was laughing quite a few times. It was kind of awesome to see Skinner put the agents on probation so quickly and I loved how Mulder wanted to spend the time off. Seeing the characters meeting the actors playing them was engaging and it was great how Tea asked Dana how she ran in those shoes! It was hilarious when Scully, Mulder and Skinner were all on the phone in their bubble baths and Mulder accidentally spoke to Skinner about him thinking it was Scully. I loved how every thing played out and Mulder reacting the way he did in the theater was interesting. Skinner was very nice in letting the agents have an F.Bl.I. credit card to use for the night, I see where our tax dollars are going, just kidding the deserve it!!!!!!!!!
  • even though it's rated 8/10, it's underrated

ok i love this episode. apparently people think it\\\'s only an 8 but i LOVE it. david duchovny is hilarious, in his acting and his writing and always intelligent. the plot is secondary to the hilarity here, although i like the plot too. even the annoying agent guy is more funny than annoying. and usually when a character is supposed to be annoyingly funny he just turns out to be annoying. also the scenes where mulder and scully are uncomfortably watching garry shandling and tea leoni in the movie are so great! they just keep wincing and who knows what exactly they\\\'re thinking when they make out on screen. ok the very last scene with the skeletons dancing wasn\\\'t my favorite, but the scene before it with mulder and scully walking off holding hands to go on a free date (i\\\'m going to call it a date anyway, even if they are in denial about what it is they\\\'re doing) is so cute.
  • Scully, Mulder, and Skinner have gone Hollywood!!!

i think that this episode was one of the funniest of the x-files series. Seeing Tea Leoni act like Scully and hit on Mulder (David Duchovny) was pretty priceless. Skinner, Mulder, and Scully all calling each other from their bath tubs. I love episodes that aren't as serious and that keeps you laughing the whole hour (give or take a couple of minutes) I think that end was pretty cute with the zombies dancing in the moonlight. Scully and Mulder looked cute together when they were leaving the set. If I'm not mistaking, I think a little hand holding was going on as well.Great episode!
  • Duchovny's take on Hollywood - a very funny, very knowing episode that will please fans and newcomers alike.

Once again, the X Files takes an unexpected turn down the comedic avenue it's so good at travelling.

I agree with the person who wrote that the timeline is off somewhat, but I guess they couldn't pretend the film could be made in a couple of months. There is a lot to like here, though. The story is funny (sometimes a bit on the silly side), and the casting of Tea Leoni as Film Scully is wonderful. The scene where she asks Scully to teach her how to run in heels, whilst Gary Shandling tries to ascertain Mulder's boxer shorts arrangement is hilarious.

The scene in the bathtubs (very Doris Day & Rock Hudson, which I guess makes the Skin Man Tony Randall) is also funny.

The quest for the Lazarus Bowl is less successful, though rather interesting. I think the trouble is that as a viewer I was much more interested in the filmmaking part than the mystery itself.

I also liked Wayne following Mulder and Scully around, though I think the one scene that didn't work at all for me was the dancing bones. I liked the comment later that it must have been CGI, but it didn't really add anything to the episode and frankly just looked daft.

I dont' agree about the dance sequence at the end being wrong - I think it was a nice way to finish, to bring Mulder's idea that zombies don't just eat - that they dance and make love too. OK, it's a little wacky as an ending, but it fits somehow.
  • Mulder and Scully are asked by Skinner to escort a movie writer which leads them to forgeries of Church documents that eventually leads to two murders and lots of laughs. The ending is truly what I want to believe. Zombies really know how to have fun...

I thought this one was one of the best...including the reference to Richard Gere, who I think looks like he could be Mulder's cuter brother... and Lieber, the not so cute brother...This episode had the three stars I always thought resembled each other. They are practically all in this movie even though it was only a mention of Gere. I wish I knew which audience member was Chris.
  • One reason why the show was so good for so many years was because of the off beats stories that were told. This is just one more and told with such a very light hearted and comical feel. I can watch this episode over and over and it never loses its charm.

Although the story line is a bit different and living close to DC, none of the sights even resembled any Church in the DC area, the writing of the story was great. The movie producer was I thought one of the best side characters the show had ever produced. The scene at the end with the zombies all coming up and dancing, I thought was a very good touch. It capped a very good episode. In being a fan of the show, I have recommended this episode to my friends and even though I have the DVD of this season, I will watch this episode when it airs on regular TV.
  • A Top Ten Classic

I love this episode! The story concept is pure genius and I enjoy the fact how this episode accommodates both a serious and silly side and connects them together. The actors that are chosen to play Mulder and Scully are an excellent choice- however, I don't think Tea Leoni had to audition for the part.
  • Can we ask for more?? Comedy, a good story and Scully/Mulder moments!Great work David Duchovny!

David Duchovny is great! I loved his writting and direction! He has a big humor quality!! Congradilations!!

This episode is so funny! We have great moments of Scully and Mulder: the scene of the bouble bath, the uncomfortable scenes whatching the movie on the cinema; in Mulder's apartment where he knows every single line of the ed wood's movie; I loved (of course) the last scene where they talk on the set of 20th century fox and they leave holding their HANDS!!!! I mean they could really have hooked up in all things because they are so "loose" together! I loved seeing Scully smilling so much! I adore the scene where Garry Shandling asks mulder what side does he dresses- hilarious! And Scully showing Tea Leoni how to run in heals! Perfect! I also loved wayne!! I liked the skeleton scene and the zombies scenes where they dance! It's like Tim Burton's movies! ; )
  • I loved this episode.

I've watched the seventh season the last days and I think this is my favourite episode. Even though the mystery isn't quite solved and the attention isn't focussed on the actual X-file, I loved the idea that they were shooting an X-file movie. I liked all the allusions in the episode and the way Wayne looked at Mulder and Scully. Also, I think Scully is more fun the last episodes of this season, she seems to laugh omre as usual and make more jokes. Off course I haven't seen most of season one, two or three so I can't say this is the first time she's been like this, but I like it. The two actors who played them in the movie were fun too and I loved part where Scully is in love with AD/AP Skinner, both times.
  • A daring episode that doesn't run on all cylinders but the ones that do fire are not to be missed.

Duchovny spent great detail crafting this episode as an allegory to his own experience with Hollywood. Hoffman is Jesus to O'Fallon's Judas, Mulder's Duchovny to Scully's Leoni, etc. This gets very complicated and I am not going into all of that. What I would like to comment on is his lack of concern for continuity. First, the episode jumps 18 months backward to Skinner assigning them to the O'Fallon case. The glaring inconsistency here is that approximately 18 months ago, Mulder and Scully were under the supervision of A.D. Kersh and sneaking around in haunted houses, Area 51 and the Bermuda Triangle. Second, Duchovny plays up the sexual tension between Mulder and Scully for most of the episode. The problem with this is it's too obvious. Their relationship has only recently developed in ways demonstrated here, in what is supposed to be a year and a half ago. Second, for all the use of religion in season 7 episodes, this has to be the worst. It almost seems trivialized especially in comparison to the character work done. That character work was the main strength of this episode. The guest characters were each wonderfully developed. The producer guy in the first scene in Skinner's office, O'Fallon when Mulder takes to him one-on-one in the church, Hoffman when Mulder and Scully visit him at home after his "resurrection." Mulder later describes them as "complicated, flawed, beautiful people." Thanks to Duchovny's characterizations, I think this rings true. The problem is, it makes some of the plot contrivances seem even more obvious. For example, Scully signing herself before she goes to arrest O'Fallon was purely a means to a heavy handed religions metaphor. Another example, the body waking up in the morgue was a pointless gag with only minor relevant foreshadowing use.

Then when we are finally brought forward in time, Mulder seems extremely uncomfortable in the cinema during the coffin sex scene. After "all things" it is more likely he would just shrug this off and think to himself (as he later said to Scully) "they got it so wrong." Instead, he makes a scene. Writing an episode that flashes back a year and a half is no doubt difficult. His 18 months ago characterizations are moved too far forward in time and his "present" characterizations are not forward enough. He was probably just trying to straddle the line. In the meantime, however, he put some wonderful moments on screen, the most poignant of which is the final scene. Mulder and Scully's conversation there perfectly exemplifies their relationship. Mulder, at times, takes everything very seriously and personally. Scully is willing to keep him grounded and rational and not let his arrogance get the best of him. She's also able to make him smile despite his very bitter mood at the time, and they walk off, holding hands, to enjoy the night. The zombie dance, albeit over the top, was very "x-files" and creepy and wonderful. Overall, the episode is as Duchovny described his characters: at times complicated, at times flawed and at times beautiful.
  • An episode filled with zombie snipers, bubble baths and Garry Shandling.

5.5
    God, this might be one of my least favorite episodes the show has produced to date. Chris Carter and his writers have been known to experiment and tinker with the show at times, but this just felt like one step too far in the opposite direction.

We get a weird opening sequence with Garry Shandling playing Fox Mulder and Tea Leoni (Duchovney's real life wife) playing Scully. The opening sequence is some sort of movie scene, and we learn that a movie has been made about Mulder and Scully's life and one of their cases. The rest of the episode jumps back in time as we view bits and pieces of the case the movie is based on and how the writer came up with the idea. The episode plot itself has something to do with religious forgery, something called the Lazarus Bowl that apparently can raise the dead and a priest who bought forged letters from a guy named Micah Hoffman.

It's a pretty weak story, and it's even weaker when the show runners tried to adapt it to a movie. Whoever wrote the episode (I missed it on the credits) did a poor job of mixing the humor and the horror that the show is usually good at doing. Instead, everyone was joking around and Skinner was acting like a goof the whole time. It frustrated me to see the writers lose focus here on what made The X-Files such a good show. How can we go back to the insanity and the eeriness of the myth-arc after seeing such weird stuff? It feels weird to me.

I don't know, perhaps I'm being too harsh. But I'm not one to give a show a low grade without due process and analyzing it for a bit, but a day after seeing this, I have to admit, I was really disappointed and frustrated.
  • Hollywood Squares

One of the funnier episodes of the entire series, for good or for bad. The episode would have worked better as a straight-up comedy focusing solely on the film production since the X-File about the Cardinal seems rather half-baked. The time saved by losing the Cardinal story could have been more entertainingly spent showing Leoni and Shandling being taken out into the field by Mulder and Scully, perhaps.

The episode has a nice "Get Shorty" type of vibe that works well with Duchovny's laconic sense of humor. The bathtub scene is WAY over-the-top and out of character for all involved (check out Spender's lisping delivery!) but it is hilarious and we all want to be entertained, don't we?
  • Painful to watch. Hated it. I give this episode the finger.

1.7
    Painful to watch. Hated it. I give this episode the finger. I'm sure all of the "insiders" to the series got a chuckle or two out of Hollywood A.D., but as an avid fan, I see this episode as one that should never have been made, more suitable to the pages of Mad Magazine. As if the entire series broke character for one episode. Detritus of The X-Files canon. This episode marks the decline of the series. Every quality series has it's low point, and Hollywood A.D. is the low water mark of The X-files. On a positive note, the bit with A.D. Skinner in the bubble bath was funny, though painfully inappropriate.