The X-Files

Hollywood A.D.

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 30, 2000 on FOX

• Duchovny's take on Hollywood - a very funny, very knowing episode that will please fans and newcomers alike.

Once again, the X Files takes an unexpected turn down the comedic avenue it's so good at travelling.

I agree with the person who wrote that the timeline is off somewhat, but I guess they couldn't pretend the film could be made in a couple of months. There is a lot to like here, though. The story is funny (sometimes a bit on the silly side), and the casting of Tea Leoni as Film Scully is wonderful. The scene where she asks Scully to teach her how to run in heels, whilst Gary Shandling tries to ascertain Mulder's boxer shorts arrangement is hilarious.

The scene in the bathtubs (very Doris Day & Rock Hudson, which I guess makes the Skin Man Tony Randall) is also funny.

The quest for the Lazarus Bowl is less successful, though rather interesting. I think the trouble is that as a viewer I was much more interested in the filmmaking part than the mystery itself.

I also liked Wayne following Mulder and Scully around, though I think the one scene that didn't work at all for me was the dancing bones. I liked the comment later that it must have been CGI, but it didn't really add anything to the episode and frankly just looked daft.

I dont' agree about the dance sequence at the end being wrong - I think it was a nice way to finish, to bring Mulder's idea that zombies don't just eat - that they dance and make love too. OK, it's a little wacky as an ending, but it fits somehow.