The X-Files

Hollywood A.D.

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 30, 2000 on FOX

• An episode filled with zombie snipers, bubble baths and Garry Shandling.

5.5
    God, this might be one of my least favorite episodes the show has produced to date. Chris Carter and his writers have been known to experiment and tinker with the show at times, but this just felt like one step too far in the opposite direction.

We get a weird opening sequence with Garry Shandling playing Fox Mulder and Tea Leoni (Duchovney's real life wife) playing Scully. The opening sequence is some sort of movie scene, and we learn that a movie has been made about Mulder and Scully's life and one of their cases. The rest of the episode jumps back in time as we view bits and pieces of the case the movie is based on and how the writer came up with the idea. The episode plot itself has something to do with religious forgery, something called the Lazarus Bowl that apparently can raise the dead and a priest who bought forged letters from a guy named Micah Hoffman.

It's a pretty weak story, and it's even weaker when the show runners tried to adapt it to a movie. Whoever wrote the episode (I missed it on the credits) did a poor job of mixing the humor and the horror that the show is usually good at doing. Instead, everyone was joking around and Skinner was acting like a goof the whole time. It frustrated me to see the writers lose focus here on what made The X-Files such a good show. How can we go back to the insanity and the eeriness of the myth-arc after seeing such weird stuff? It feels weird to me.

I don't know, perhaps I'm being too harsh. But I'm not one to give a show a low grade without due process and analyzing it for a bit, but a day after seeing this, I have to admit, I was really disappointed and frustrated.