The X-Files

Jump the Shark

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 21, 2002 on FOX

• Blood In The Water

Uh oh, another Lone Gunmen-centric episode. You would think that with the "The Lone Gunmen" spin-off series being cancelled after only 13 episodes, the writers would have had a clue as to the viability (or lack thereof) of our three nerdly heroes as leading actors. Ah well, perspective can be a difficult thing to maintain....

The writers apparently intend this episode to be the finale for "The Lone Gunmen," which they never had the opportunity to make due to the abrupt cancellation of that series. As such, there are an awful lot of new characters and subplots from the "Lone Gunmen" series that will be new to the X-Files fan who has never seen the spin-off (which is probably most of them.)

I've never seen any of the "Lone Gunmen" series and therefore much of this episode comes across as muddled and confusing to me. Who is this Yves woman? Who is the Gunmen's new sidekick, Jimmy? Why is Morris Fletcher back? What the heck is up with the imbedded virus and how does it tie in with the Super Soldiers storyline? (I'm guessing it doesn't, really.) There is simply too much in this episode to absorb without some knowledge of the "Lone Gunmen" series.

The episode just doesn't work as an X-Files and it's a bit unfair to dump it into the tail end of the series just to placate the wounded feelings of the writers who had their series yanked before it completed even a single season. I love the Gunmen characters, but they are supporting players and not suited to carry entire episodes. A little goes a long way. It's unfortunate that the writers choose to kill them off and I sense some bitterness mixed with petulance behind this rather "final" decision. What happens if the fabled second feature film manages to get made? Are we then to endure the ghosts of the Gunmen, as we must in the series' final episode?