The X-Files

Kaddish

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 16, 1997 on FOX

7.7
  • Kaddish

Kaddish was a superb and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was great and I found it interesting to explore some Jewish Folklore. There was some good character development and partner bonding for Mulder and Scully. It was fun watching then investigate. I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • I Nearly Married A Jewish Golem

After three brilliant episodes, we get this, an episode where a Jewish monster made out of, um, mud goes on a killing rampage against three punks and their anti-Semitic mentor, then marries his intended before dissolving into dust. Oy vay!

This one is slow, plodding and predictable. It seems to be a victim of writer's exhaustion after the string of so many brillient episodes preceding it. The anti-Semitic copy guy overacts terribly, so much so that he seems comical rather than menacing. It makes no sense that mudboy tries to kill his father-in-law but he does, I think. Actually, I'm not sure, as I kept nodding off as I tried to get through this episode.
  • Mulder and Scully chase after a golem

7.6
    Another episode of the X-Files that I felt is relatively disappointing. Unlike the truly terrible episodes, there was an intriguing story that had plenty of twists, but I realized about halfway through the episode, after we sort of learn everything we need to know, that the episode just wasn't doing anything for me. It was sub-par at best, and there seemed to be none of the usual humor that Mulder and Scully usually share. It's one thing to be to-the-point, but it's a completely different thing to do so and come across as lazy.

In trying to come up with upsides and downsides to the episode, I can only come up with a few things. For one, I'm glad that for once, we found Mulder and Scully being able to agree that there was something fishy going on and that the X-File being investigated was more than just a scientific anomaly. Also, the idea of the episode itself (a hate crime begets a wife's rage) was interesting and usually makes for good television. However, there just wasn't enough substantial moments to hold it all together.

The last few episodes of the show have actually been very good, but this episode was a huge step down. I suppose every show is allowed a few clunkers here and there.
  • On par with the rest of the show. Not great, but not bad.

7.7
    This was interesting. It was right in line with all the other episodes that we have come to expect from the X-files. This episode was interesting insofar as it pertained to a Jewish community which was interesting.

Unfortunately, there was very little mystery behind this one as the truth was presented to us directly at the beginning. There was no great reveal, there was no great mystery, and as can be expected, the usual happens at the end, Scully and Mulder get split up, Mulder sees the undeniable truth in front of him while Scully arrives just a moment too late to witness what was actually happening.
  • Muddy Jews?

Kaddish is an episode that actually surprised me. Im not a big fan of religion, if you know what I mean. The thought of an episode about a dead Jew did not really appeal to me that much, but actually after watching it my opinion was different. The episode is basically about a murderer made from mud. He was made to avenge the death of himself and goes on a Nazi killing spree, and even manages to get married as well. Overall this is a good episode with some great acting and special effects, and it was also quite creepy in places
  • The one with the dead Jew.

‘Kaddish’ is another good X-files episode even though it doesn’t stand a chance against the past season 4 episodes which were all fantastic.

This episode begins with a funeral, a man has just died and his lover seems very sad and she has a flashback of the way he got killed and she puts some mud on his grave wishing for something.

That night something comes out of mud and kills one of the three guys who murdered the dead Jew.
    Mulder and Scully are send to investigate and meat his wife, they were going to marry and her father is very upset and couldn’t care less if those boys would die.

Meanwhile the two others who killed the Jew hang out with a creepy Nazi guy, to make sure they go to his grave and find the body but while one digs the other gets killed. The third is eventually hanged on and dies. The Nazi also gets a visit from angry Jew who kills him.

The thing about this episode is that it looses interest somewhere in between, but it ends powerfully. I didn’t understand why the guy tried to kill the old man who had just protected him and everything. But the best scene was with the woman making her dead lover disappear into mud again.

’Kaddish’ isn’t exactly a very memorable episode, specially considering all the other season 4 episodes have been very strong. But the episode has it’s own qualities and is able to stand on it’s own feet. I
  • A bride-to-be tries to come to terms with the loss of her fiance, leading to disastrous results.

This episode looks at how a Jewish woman tries to come to terms with the loss of her fiance. And how does she try to do that? By resurrecting her was-future husband into the form of a golem, of course.

But, of course, she didn't stop to think of the consequences of this action would be. So, Mulder and Scully end up investigating the peculiar circumstances surrounding the death of a bunch of racists - who happened to be, of course, the people that killed the Jewish man. Have you guessed the rest yet?

This episode was OK, but it could have been so much better on so many levels. It's predictable and quite transparent, although it was redeemed slightly in the final scenes where the bride and groom were sort-of reunited. Good, but definetely nothing special.