The X-Files

Kitsunegari

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 04, 1998 on FOX

• Pusher returns

I remember "Pusher" being a great season 3 episode, one where Mulder and Scully's life were truly put in danger and it seemed as if Modell, the Pusher, could actually take one of their lives. Of course, it'd be absurd for that to happen, but it still did it's job at creating a tense and exciting hour of television. This sequel has some moments that are great like the previous episode, but nothing that truly makes you feel anxious (except for maybe the final scene).

It does start off with some promise though. Pusher escapes and Mulder and Scully are back on the case, attempting to find him. We get more of those darkly entertaining scenes where Modell convinces people to do things just by mentioning them. However, half of the episode goes by and it doesn't feel as if it's going anywhere new or addressing any new ideas. It's just Mulder/Scully chasing Modell, which was nice the first time around but a little anti-climatic the second time around. Fortunately, something new happens about halfway through the episode, but unfortunately, it's a bit lame.

It turns out there's a second Pusher, which puts Mulder in a sticky situation: how do you outrun two pushers who want to destroy you? Or does Modell even want to destroy Mulder anymore? The resolution to the episode brings the "Pusher" storyline to an end once and for all, but one has to wonder: was it even necessary to include this episode? I liked it a lot, and it continued the streak of great X-Files episodes this season, but I had to wonder why the show would decide to bring him back just to appear in this episode, which was somewhat lackluster. Either way, it was good enough to keep me thinking that this season just might be its best yet.