The X-Files

Max (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 23, 1997 on FOX

• Max was an entertaining episode!

Max was a superbly entertaining episode of The X-Files and I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of action, suspense, mystery and intrigue. It was fun watching Mulder figure out what was happening, but he didn't quite find out the entire truth. I liked watching Max's tape. There were some awesome scenes and it was cool to see an alien body briefly. I liked how the story played out and the ending was touching. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!
  • "When every day's just another day when you're gonna get kidnapped by little gray dudes from outer space, what's a few CIA spooks?" -- Max Fenig

Too much of this story took place offscreen. The death of Agent Pendrell, Max's death, the discovery of his knapsack, the incarceration of Sharon Graffia in an asylum, all took place out of sight. What we got on camera was sometimes magnificent but leaving out these important incidents strips the story of its emotional context. I feel that this distillation of the story left out some of the warmth that it needed: we got a lot of fear but little grief. There were moments of real awe and wonder in "Tempus Fugit" and "Max", some of the best moments in the series' history, but they were diluted by the emotional distance imposed on us by the glossing over of Max's death, of Sharon's terror, of Pendrell's death. If we must lose our lovable lab rat, we should at least have learned his name. It is not enough to devote a few seconds of screen time to Scully's attempt to save his life. We must also have a moment where we see what this character's impact on Scully's life was--not a maudlin and teary scene, but also not the coldly intellectual dissection of their non-relationship represented by her offhand, "I never knew his name."

It's not Mudlers fault he's in a script that begs the question of why Mulder is on this plane at all. Of all men, Mulder knows best what happened to Max when he got on a plane carrying a similar bag. By reproducing the circumstances of Flight 549's disaster, is he not endangering not just himself but everyone else aboard? I admired Mulder's smooth response to the threat posed by the Mustache Man; I only wish he'd thought a little harder about what he was doing.

Mike Millar anchors the storyline in the methodical, step-by-step reality of engineering studies and failure analysis. Half-convinced not only by Mulder's tale of alien abduction but by his own sighting of a UFO hovering over the wreckage of Flight 549, Millar vacillates between his duty to seek out and expose the truth, and his reluctance to expose himself to ridicule. This is one of the few characters I have seen on the series who hid the truth and didn't lose his integrity. Like so many engineers and scientists, he has been trained both to distrust his own convictions and to trust in "observation"--and thus finds himself deeply conflicted when his observation of the floating UFO stands all his scientific conviction on its head. In this very human portrait we have yet another character who sucks us into the "reality" of the X-Files

I'm only sorry that we had Max back for so brief a time. Max could have been a wonderful recurring character. The unofficial 4th member of the lone gunmen.

• Part 2 (Mulder finds Max's evidence)

There may not have been any Cigarette Smoking Man plot here, like most of the myth-arc episodes do, but this two part episode concluded on a great note, completing the story that the first part introduced and leaving us wondering (once again) whether or not Mulder will actually find the truth.

The episode truly hit its stride after Mulder learned that Max had left something he stole in an airport security place. It's unknown what the item actually is; all Mulder and Scully learn is that it's some sort of extra-terrestrial technology that the government wants. Mulder tries to hide the item on a plane but a government agent sneaks on the plane and Mulder is once again left with nothing.
  • Max's "untimely" end.. ohhh I'm punny :D

I liked it, thats not much of a review... but I did. Almost cried when Pendrell died though.. poor Pendrell he always had a crush on Scully, then died on her birthday..

Anyway! Sooo yea.. Max died, Pendrell died, Mulder liked a key chain, and we discovered the truth about aliens... almost. As usual the dream team of Mulder and Scully almost figured out what the government is hiding ! Wow.. Chris Carter is pretty amazing at how many times this happens. Haha. No, In no way am I saying the X-Files are repetitive, I'm merely saying that mytharc episodes always leave you saying the same thing.. "Damn Government and their cover-ups" The only thing this action-packed episode was missing was CSM, I sat there and watched an entire mytharc wondering where the hell that A hole was.. But whatever, all in all it was a good episode, it kept me entertained, and (as said before) I liked it.
  • Junk Food

More of what we saw in "Tempus Fugit," although this episode is perhaps a bit more exciting, which may be attributable to the superior skills of Kim Manners, who directed this episode. Mulder really gets around in this episode. First, he is captured while scuba-diving for aliens, then later he is chased on to a plane where, in a clever twist, he relives exactly what Max went through in the previous episode. The whole sequence from Mulder being chased to the alien encounter with his plane was well done, with lots of tension and action. It was a bit incongruous for the aliens not to return the bad guy after taking him from the plane (as was done with the previous abductees) but I suppose it was necessary because we want the bad guy to get his just desserts.

I'm not sure why it was necessary to show Mike Millar winessing the return of Max's girlfriend by the aliens. That whole thread seems to go nowhere, as Mike does nothing after seeing the alien ship, although he does seem a bit more ambivalent during his final conversation with Mulder and Scully.

All in all, a pretty, well-constructed episode that contains some fine action sequences but not a whole lot of substance. It's a fun ride, as far as it goes, but ultimately leaves us with no great insights or revelations. It's the X-Files equivalent of junk food.
  • the grand conclusion

Max is the second and concluding part of the story that started in Tempus fugit. Mulder is arrested for investigating the plane crash and interfering with a military operation, Scully bails Mulder out of prison and they go to Max Fenig's trailer to find out why he was on the plane. Mulder finds evidence of alien technology and boards a plane with it but the plane is intercepted mid-flight and it disappears. This is a great conclusion to the story that started last episode, but it leaves the viewer slightly frustrated as not much is answered- but there are some nice flash backs. 8 out of 10
  • Fantastic installment for an already highly entertaining season of the X files mythology.

Fantastic installment for an already highly entertaining season of the X files mythology. Extremely well written story aiding to tie up the loose ends of the previous episode, one of my personal favorites due to the marvelously crafted scenes and tense action sequences.
    I am highly suprised it isnt generally considered a series classic among fellow x-filephiliacs'. Just shows that myrthology episodes dont need to necesarily rely on the underlying factors of the conspiracy to compell the audience. In this instance the 2 parter had an almost cinematic feel to it as the story was so cleverly explored and resolved.
  • The one with the last of Max

‘Max’ was a better part of ‘Tempus Fugit’ and was able to continue the storyline successfully and bring it’s own twists and great special effects to it.

The episode continues with Mulder in the water and being caught by some military soldiers, he know that he saw aliens in the ocean.

Meanwhile Pendrell is having some difficulties after the shot, Scully promises him that he’s going to survive but he dies in the hospital. She also gets a nosebleed which Skinner noticed.

Mulder is also certain that something went wrong in the airplane, the UFO was indeed there and to Max into it, they returned him but what went wrong was because of another airplane. Those 9 minutes were going to disappear out of their minds without a problem but because of that other airplane they all died.

Mulder also believes that there were three bags, two are gone but he is able to get his hands on the third. When he tries to escape in an airplane he gets caught and almost shot but then the UFO takes care of it and takes away the third bag and the guy who wanted to shoot Mulder.
    The bag contained something highly radioactive but is now gone with the UFO.

Mulder doesn’t remember what happened those 9 minutes of the abduction so he doesn’t know he was close to something he always wanted to see but forgot. Anyway, the friend of Max wasn’t his sister but someone who knew him and about UFO’s, she stars with Max’ stuff.
    Mulder doesn’t want Max and Pendrell to be other two people who die, but he says that they died for the truth and not for the lies.