The X-Files

Memento Mori

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 09, 1997 on FOX

• Scully faces her cancer

Scully's cancer is something that's been hovering around for the past couple episodes, influencing her actions and her reactions towards Mulder. Finally, the show finds her acknowledging it and as a result, we find her illness becoming the next X-File, and that Mulder ends up learning that her illness is a result of her abduction. Scully's abduction was obviously a plot point born out of the fact that Gillian Anderson was pregnant, but for a plot that was created out of necessity, it's carried on remarkably well into other seasons. It's nice to see the show returning to this idea, and it has some very interesting points, although we still are given extremely weak explanations as to why things are the way they are.

What worked for me was when Mulder and the Lone Gunmen went on their little adventure into the doctor's office. They find a large number of clones that are attempting to save the women who were abducted from people like the Cigarette Man, who are seemingly trying to use them in order to create a colony of aliens. Once again, this plot point has always been a bit murky to me, but I'm hoping that over time, it'll be explained a little better. It's disappointing when a show that usually did conspiracies so well in its first and second seasons has failed to capture that excitement in the last two seasons.

But here, we really see the friendship between Mulder and Scully growing, and for the most part, we had some great touching moments bookended with great action scenes. Definitely one of the better episodes of this season.