The X-Files

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 28, 1999 on FOX

• Monday

Monday was a perfect and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was fun and similar to the concept from the movie Groundhog Day. It was interesting to see the minor changes each relived day. The story was pretty good and the acting was great. It was a nice change of pace to have a story like this. The fate of Pam was sad though every thing was set right through her bravery. I liked the ending and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Omega

After watching the next episode, I wonder if Omega paid for a product placement, and they wrote this whole episode just to get closeups of the watch
  • X-Files does Groundhog Day.. sort of.

I'm a big fan of any homage to Groundhog Day, one of my favorite comedies. I've seen the show Supernatural do it, and I'm sure there's countless other attempts to copy it, and this episode is no different. Sure, it may be simple and may not explain everything, but it's such a fun premise that I have to ask myself, "Who cares?"

The basic idea is that the girlfriend of a bank robber keeps reliving the same Monday over and over again, and in this day, her boyfriend straps himself with dynamite, tries to rob a bank and ends up blowing up everybody inside, including Mulder and Scully. She tries over and over again to stop it and save Mulder and Scully, but she can't. Sure, it's sort of like Groundhog Day-lite, but it's much darker. In the movie, Phil Connors' personality was what was wrong with the picture.. until he could change, he'd keep living the same day. However, this girl did nothing wrong and sees the same day as the lowest level of Hell, and it certainly seems that way.

Another interesting aspect of the episode is that Mulder slowly starts to remember things about the day. Although he shouldn't be remembering things that happened the day before (since it's the girl reliving the day), he forces himself to remember key details, which helps him do things differently from day to day. It's a great episode that is better than half of the episodes this season.

There's also a huge amount of humor with Mulder, but this time, it doesn't feel like it interferes at all with the tone of the episode. It simply adds to the strangeness and mysteriousness of the situation (I like the callback to the Dreamland episode, where Morris Fletcher gets Mulder a waterbed.. it seems like a weird thing to bring up, but it was fun).
  • It's like Groundhog day meets the XFiles, a bank, and some explosives.

This is one of the better episodes of the season in my opinion, and is a nice break from all the drama that the mythology can bring. In this episode, a woman is forced to live the same day on repeat, and watch her boyfriend rob and subsequently blow up a bank full of people. This centers around Mulder more than Scully and how his day repeats. (There is also a cool parallel with Dreamland because the water bed and mirror above the bed, put there by Morris Fletcher is still there) This episode is also unique because, although Mulder forces himself to remember that he does have a bomb, it isn't until the woman herself dies that the pattern is broken and the day ceases to be repeated.
  • It's like Groundhog Day...

I don't know what it is about this season but they just keep me glued with all the classic Sci-Fi stories. First we had a time warp then we had body switching, now we have time loops. Time lopp episodes are great in that if the person realises that they are in a time loop then they can get away with alot without having to suffer any of the consequences. That is not the case with this particular episode. It is a girl who knows she is doing it but she doesn't want to have fun she just wants it to stop. Mulder even starts to realize that it is a time loop but he is not to sure. This episode had a sad ending and nobody even knows all the crap she went through. Well maybe Mulder to some extent.
  • Deja vu all over again

What a hilarious episode!

After the opener I was like: yeah right! blow up the building! I wonder how they are going to get around that one. In short I expected a tidious and rather dull episode with lots of story loops. What a wonderful surprise!

Mulder and Scully relieve the same day over and over again. Personaly I really enjoy such episodes. I love looking for the little things that change and how Scully reacts differently whatever Mulder says. However after the show I started to wonder how Mulder remembered the woman trying to warn him. Why would he be the only one to notice anything?

On the other hand the fact that (what's her name again) had to relieve it over and over because she was the one who messed up on the first monday was clever and very well put.
  • Mulder has a case of deja-vu...or does he?

I LOVE this episode. Everytime I watch this episode, it takes me like 2 hours to get all the way through it because I'm constantly rewinding it and going back to my favorite parts. Actually, in this episode, there are no really bad parts. The whole episode oozes excitement!

I love MSR scenes...when Mulder is lying on the floor in the bank, covered in blood and Scully is holding his head in her lap; her hand covering his wound. Love it! They sure did tease us a lot in this episode! this went on several times with different variabilities but they all were equally exciting!

Gosh, when he was in his bedroom and tripped over his shoe and onto the ground. And his water bed sprang a leak flooding the apartment below his...LMAO. How funny! Also, the scenes with him and Scully in the basement in his office. Ahh, great scenes there as well. I like when Scully was like, "Mulder, since when did you have a water bed?" Superb episode!

~Snyder~
  • a good episode.

the x files is really good when it comes to the paranormal. i find most of the episodes in season 6 mostly great and this is one of them. this is dealing with time episode, like a dejavu. it's like repeating the same day over and over until you make it right, being given a second chance or something. the scenes always goes back when agent mulder start his day on the bank and it always end up with tragic consequences. until the girl who warned him of what's happening finally dies in the end and it changed everything with either mulder and scully not dying.
  • Whilst this is a good episode, there is no direction to the series.

There can be no skirting around the fact this episode has allusions to the film "Groundhog day" it is still good.

We have a girl who relives the same day, over and over again.

Mulder tries to pay in his cheque so that he will have enough money to cover the landlords bill to cover the damage that his burst water bed has caused.

Unknown to him (at this time but it becomes more evident) as he stands in the queue at the bank, he sees the robber trying to hold up the bank.

Each "day" he passes the girl whose having the re-living of the same day. She tries to reach out to him, but he looks at her like they've never met.
  • "Monday" stands out as a memorable addition that manages to fit in the recent continuity only by a clever but entertaining plot. Yet the episode could easily be viewed by a casual fan or a seasoned viewer at any time.

The ordering of the 4 episodes after the "Two Fathers"/"One Son" arc seemed to be confused from the beginning. Technically, "Arcadia" was filmed first, which makes sense because it is Mulder and Scully's first official x-file since "The End." But on air and on the DVD sets it is ordered third, behind "Agua Mala" and "Monday." I prefer to think of "Agua Mala" as a side trip while offscreen reassignments were taking place (Diana Fowley, Mulder & Scully) and the x-files office was being prepared for Mulder's return. "Arcadia" then makes sense to be the next episode and then "Monday" representing the agents' official return to the office sans "I Want to Believe" poster, which had burned to a crisp with most of Mulder's other personal items. This episode fits nicely here because careful viewing illustrates the growth in Mulder and Scully. Since "One Son," Scully is more in a position to buy into Mulder's theories and leave an administrative meeting without a second thought. More dramatically, in Act 4, she follows his directions to bring a stranger off the street under a belief that she is the key to stopping a bank robbery (not intuitive outside the context of the first 3 acts of which only Mulder has a hazy memory). The final scene in "Agua Mala" not only contained the only notable dialogue from that episode, but also gave Scully a foundation for her belief in her partner that she demonstrates here. Yet these minor character developments are lost to the grander device at work in the episode. This is the reason casual fans appreciate this episode so much. It has no elements of the mythology and the character development from the 5th and first half of the 6th season is eclipsed by the plot. The plot does have holes and the ending, Mulder "remembering" does seem like a cop-out. But it also seems like writers Vince Gilligan and John Shiban were not lazy. They likely had alternative endings in mind, some of which were attempted and ultimately proven to be failures in the episode itself (e.g., Scully entering the bank first). In addition, the reason the "loop" began is never fully explained. The implication is that the woman was fated to die and the day must repeat until she did. Other interpretations: The "Dreamland" theory - Mulder's waterbed set in motion the series of events that led to his confrontation with Bernard and the subsequent explosion. Since this waterbed was left behind by the time loop in "Dreamland" its presence interfered with the natural course of events. Scully theory - As per "Clyde Bruckman" and "Tithonus" Scully is fated to live and the woman's death is a casualty that could have been assumed by anyone to prevent Scully's death. In the end, this is more of an episode of the Twilight Zone, only with major recurring characters as the leads. However, it proves to be highly entertaining and fairly intellectual in the philosophical subtexts.
    Entertainment 2/2 Writing 1/2 Directing 2/2 Acting 2/2 Character 2/2: 9/10
  • a woman has to relive the same day over and over again, watching her boyfriend rob a bank with explosives strapped to his chest. Every day something a bit different happens.

This was one of my favorite episodes. I love the thought of it. The fact that one hour can have one day put into a lot of different perspectives. I also love how everyday you can see the little things that change. The basic premise to this episode was amazing. I loved the way all the characters related to what was happening. It was a good overall episode, especially if you don't know much about the mythology of the show, you know like the Super Soldiers and the Black Oil, the alien stuff. Anyway you should look it up and watch it sometime. It is timeless.
  • I Don't Like Mondays

7.9
    Maybe it's because there have been so many similar storylines in TV and in film, but this episode seems a bit boring to me and seriously overrated by reviewers here. There is no grand theory or explanation as to why Mulder and Scully get sucked into a Groundhog Day loop - it just happens and we the viewers are simply asked to come along for the ride. There is no character development, minimal plot development, no furtherance of the series or Myth arc and no real underlying message. The episode simply happens in a vaccum and ultimately it all seems empty and pointless, throwaway even.

The episode is well done in a technical sense but there is no spark in either Anderson's or Duchovny's performances. I started to get bored when Mulder stepped on to his soggy carpet for the third time. And let's face it, watching Mulder stand in line at the bank over and over again is not all that exciting. I kept waiting for the episode to take an interesting turn, to surprise me, but sadly it just plods along to a thoroughly predictable ending of no lasting significance.
  • Monday is a bad day for Mulder and keeps repeating itself. Until the one thing happens that changes the course of the day and lets everybody go on to Tuesday

One of my most favourite episodes yet Scully should have known where the waterbed was from... she was in his bedroom when in Dreamland 2 the fake Mulder tried to seduce her on it. The plot may have loopholes but it's exciting, keeps you on the edge of the seat. You never know what is going to change when Mulder wakes up in the morning on a Monday yet again. But there's certain catchers that keep happening to let you know it really is the same day. Just glad in the end it wasn't one of the FBI people who had to die to get out of this circle.
  • Like Groundhog Day but better.

This episode gets a really high rating from me for several reasons. First, they get points for continuity regarding the water bed. Second, I enjoyed the small differences each day and how that illustrates that even if we are fated to do one thing or another, we can choose the way we get there. I like that concept a lot. The "moral" of the story being something about the difference between fate and free will, I thought it was really interesting the way they decided to depict a repetition of a day. Not exact, minute detail like that in Groundhog Day, but a loosely sewn together sequence of events that happen to travel along the same path. This seems much more realistic and believable. Especially tying in the sense of deja vu - Who hasn't been stopped in their tracks by a particularly strong feeling of deja vu, and wondered where it could possibly have come from? I have often wondered if it's a latent psychic ability even though I am familiar with the scientific explanation for the sensation. Third, the episode was directed really well. A fast-paced story, interesting and hard to stop watching. You'd think that the repetition would get to you, but no - it was actually fun, especially with the physical comedy by David Duchovny. But all that together isn't enough to score a 9.4 in my book. No, it was the total combination of all these factors that I loved. The only time I can ever really think to give above a 9.0 rating is when I think the episode really embodies the classic X-File, an episode I'd show to my friends who'd never seen the X-Files before, with an assurance that they'll love it and ask to see another. This episode meets that standard - it has elements of comedy that I think are essential to Mulder's character and the tone of the X-Files in general; as well as an element of the supernatural, without resorting to gross gory tactics or unbelievable monsters or genetic mutants; an inkling of the relationship between Mulder and Scully, including their easy conversation and their concern for saving the others' life; good guest casting; and is generally well-written and beautifully directed.
  • Overall, this episode is often considered one of the more popular episodes of the season, despite some of the obvious plot holes and contrivances.

For many fans, this is a highlight of the sixth season. Despite the obvious comparisons to “Groundhog Day”, the concept is an old one. As with many tried-and-true plot devices, the question is how well the idea is used within the existing context of the series. In this case, the end result is an episode that somehow manages to exceed the limitations of its parts.

One might have expected this episode to expose something about Mulder’s character. After all, one of the head writers on the episode was Vince Gilligan, best known for focusing on consistent character development over the course of the series. This is the first of many unusual surprises for the episode: there is precious little development.

Who wouldn’t expect Mulder, at this point, to be a proponent of free will, after all? He may understand that his life has been manipulated by others, but he also has reason to believe that his decisions changed the course of the future. One of the deep ironies of “X-Files” is how little freedom Mulder has in his existence, since even his apparent free agency is taken into account by higher authorities.

Similarly, Scully treads the kind of fine line between God’s plan for the world and individual free will that many religious followers recognize. As a scientist, especially one with a strong background in relativity and quantum theory, Scully would be familiar with the idea of chance at the heart of deterministic order. So her philosophy is hardly a surprise.

What is surprising is the lack of any explanation for the events of the episode. No attempt is made to explain why this loop in time is taking place. It is as inexplicable as the continued existence of the waterbed in Mulder’s apartment. Some have theorized that this suggests a connection between “Dreamland” and “Monday”, explaining the temporal loop as a lingering effect of the situation around Area 51. But this does nothing to explain why the loop was established and how it was ultimately broken.

Unfortunately, this means that a large chunk of the X-Files premise is missing. Beyond a short affirmation of their opinions on fate and free will, Mulder and Scully have no theories to offer. There are a couple lines here and there, hinting at dueling interpretations, but Mulder is still only flying by the seat of his apparent intuition when he tries to change events. Scully never tries to understand what might be happening.

In a sense, not even Mulder takes specific and directed action to resolve the crisis. While he does ultimately interfere in the flow of events, changing things enough to result in an outcome that breaks the temporal loop, this is as much a matter of luck as it is a matter of observation. This lack of definitive action takes something away from the episode as a whole.

The story itself depends on a specific sequence of events, leading to the moment when the bomb explodes and time recurs. The eventual solution is, as mentioned, more a question of luck. Surprisingly, there was a quick and simple solution that could have been legally implemented on several occasions: shooting Bernard in the head as soon as it’s clear that the bomb needs to be triggered with a switch to explode. Mulder and Scully both end up watching Bernard slowly slip his hand down and flick the switch, and it happens enough to highlight the fact that it’s a massive plot hole.

Many also point out that this episode is the first return to the basement office, and while things are still in flux since Spender’s shooting and Diana Fowley’s off-screen reassignment, Scully still doesn’t have a desk of her own or her name on the door. Previously, this was somewhat easier to overlook, but if Spender and Fowley could share billing, why not Mulder and Scully? It sounds like a silly thing to hold against the episode, but it actually serves as an obvious example of how the writers never addressed the post-“One Son” situation.

If the episode does succeed, it does so with relatively subtle comedy. The humor in this episode is kept within realistic boundaries, grounded within the mundane reality that the audience can appreciate. Duchovny manages to play Mulder’s recurring ordeal with the waterbed with deft timing. Skinner’s meeting is another example of how something so mundane can be deeply amusing without taking over the episode.

Despite all of the weaknesses, the episode succeeds because the audience can watch the episode and get into the concept without needing any of the elements that are missing. It simply doesn’t stand up to close inspection. While that can be a problem for episodes that require the audience to overlook the problems to buy into the premise, in this case, the episode is essentially the equivalent of an “X-Files” popcorn movie.
  • A fine episode with a strange plot and ending with a twist.

This is the first episode of Xfiles I saw and it immediately got me hooked. Monday begins in an unusual way, where the main characters die just before the title theme is played. To me, this episode was all about action and reaction, which becomes quite important as one wrong action an result in disasterous outcomes. It was rather interesting to see the same scene acted over and over again, but each time something was different from the previous one. I can't say much more without spoiling the episode, but in general, it is a well written and performed episode that will keep you suspended until the end.
  • It's a good story, well written!

I loved it! It's a simple story but so, so interesting! Everybody would like to change something that they did in the past, but and if they could just change the details and not the end? That's what this episode is about! We've funny moments of Mulder which are repeated a few times... The explosion scene is amazing, very well done! And we see Mulder and Scully die few times... It's really interesting!
  • Another great X-Files episode! One of my favorites - Season 6 when the X-Files was on-fire!

This episode reminded me of Ground Hog Day, but I enjoyed this X-Files episode much more than that film. I like how they kept the story rather simple and changed only a few details. But no matter the change in details, the outcome was the same. Until the end, of course!
  • First, the X-Files version of "Speed", and now "Groundhog Day".

Take something we've already seen, unleash the X-Files writers, directors, and actors on it, and this is what can happen: A brilliant episode. Pam's desperation, the minute changes in each incarnation of the same day. It's suspenseful and tackles the deep idea of whether fate guides us unfailingly or if each and every tiny decision that we make in our day-to-day lives can have a huge impact. In a season full of top-notch installments, "Monday" comes close to trumping them all.
  • I thought this was going to be better than it was. They could have done a lot more with this episode!

An X-file that turns up, not because of an investigation or a crime, but an ordinary "day in the life". This started out interesting, but as Mulder kept getting out of bed--more boring. The facts of the day we knew--how to stop them from repeating themselves, we didn't. The time travel aspect could have been made more interesting by having changes occur, and having a different outcome more deadlier (AD Skinner getting killed too)! Interesting, but a cop-out ending.
  • Monday is going on, over and over again....for how long?

This is a good episode, when finally I can see, I thinki.... what could happen if this story would be true? What if we are living one day a lot of times, and we never can change the end?

I like the way the day was different every time, the scenes whit Scully in the ofice, or when Mulder wake up and we saw everything another time.

I liked the storyline....and Mulder and Scully were dead almost five times!!