The X-Files

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 28, 1999 on FOX

• X-Files does Groundhog Day.. sort of.

I'm a big fan of any homage to Groundhog Day, one of my favorite comedies. I've seen the show Supernatural do it, and I'm sure there's countless other attempts to copy it, and this episode is no different. Sure, it may be simple and may not explain everything, but it's such a fun premise that I have to ask myself, "Who cares?"

The basic idea is that the girlfriend of a bank robber keeps reliving the same Monday over and over again, and in this day, her boyfriend straps himself with dynamite, tries to rob a bank and ends up blowing up everybody inside, including Mulder and Scully. She tries over and over again to stop it and save Mulder and Scully, but she can't. Sure, it's sort of like Groundhog Day-lite, but it's much darker. In the movie, Phil Connors' personality was what was wrong with the picture.. until he could change, he'd keep living the same day. However, this girl did nothing wrong and sees the same day as the lowest level of Hell, and it certainly seems that way.

Another interesting aspect of the episode is that Mulder slowly starts to remember things about the day. Although he shouldn't be remembering things that happened the day before (since it's the girl reliving the day), he forces himself to remember key details, which helps him do things differently from day to day. It's a great episode that is better than half of the episodes this season.

There's also a huge amount of humor with Mulder, but this time, it doesn't feel like it interferes at all with the tone of the episode. It simply adds to the strangeness and mysteriousness of the situation (I like the callback to the Dreamland episode, where Morris Fletcher gets Mulder a waterbed.. it seems like a weird thing to bring up, but it was fun).