The X-Files

Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 17, 1996 on FOX

• On my free time I like to smoke..... and write.

Some characters don't need explanations, many people like them for all that they're lacking, the less we know the better. So giving some information about the guy that everybody loves to wonder about is very risky. I think they were wise in not giving us a long history of the man, we didn't need to see him from birth to the present. With what we did get about his life I feel it was handled well, it was all interesting, revealing but there's still so much to unpack. The only thing that bug me a little bit was how he was recruited for the JFK plot. He seemed like a normal guy during his army service and I thought it would have taken something great to turn him over but he has one sit down with some top brass and thats it, that's what sets him off on the life he ends up living.

Plot aside it was also a fascinating episode to watch. Some portions were in black and white, it's divided into chapters which goes hand in hand with the book he's writing, its structure is unique and keeps you wondering about where in the timeline were experiencing.

Its a hard episode to score, I somehow feel like I could have done without the back story but what we got was well made and fascinating. He's just a lonely man, with all his might he still isn't much bigger or better than you or me. Like it was shown in the magazine he picked up, he's not the only one who can change the outcome.
  • Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man

Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man was a perfect episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was well written and it was awesome to learn more about the Cigarette Smoking Man. There was definitely a lot of character development along with action, drama and intrigue. The Cigarette Smoking Man has a crazy past and he along with a few others shaped the destiny of The United States. I liked how he tried to publish his story as to live on in some way. Every thing played out perfectly. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • "I'm the liar; you're the killer." --Deep Throat to the Smoking Man

It was only a matter of time until a series based on government conspiracies and cover-ups eventually got around to the Grandest Conspiracy of Them All, the JFK assassination. "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man", by Glen Morgan, finally addresses this mother of all intrigues by showing us the life of Mulder's nemesis, the title character played by William B. Davis.

The series has dropped hints about his character over the years--his lack of wife or family, his addiction to Morley's cigarettes. We now learn something--a very little something--of the man behind the steel blue eyes. From a case file narrated by Frohike of the Lone Gunmen to an unseen Mulder and Scully, we learn that the unnamed Smoking Man "appeared" in Louisiana in 1940 and progressed through a series of orphanages to Army service, ending up as bunkmate to Bill Mulder when Fox Mulder was one year old. The man we later call the Smoking Man is at this point the Non-Smoking Man, and is recruited to assassinate Kennedy in the wake of the Bay of Pigs fiasco. He does so, and takes his first puff on a cigarette given him by the doomed Lee Harvey Oswald. The Smoking Man goes on to become the Machiavelli of this century, involved in every plot from murder of public figures to alien coverups to rigging the Olympics. In a lovely bit of irony, he hides his clandestine organization in the heart of the FBI. More to the point, in a flashback to the pilot episode we see that the Smoking Man has been involved in The X-Files since day one; the Cancerman puffs away in the office corner where Scully is being assigned to work with Fox Mulder.

The Cigarette-Smoking Man is not who he thinks he is. He is addressed by his stooge Lee Oswald as "Mr. Hunt", and like the E. Howard Hunt of Watergate notoriety, we learn that the Smoking Man's secret desire is to become a published writer of spy thrillers a la John Le Carre. But although he would rather read a bad novel than watch a good movie, he finds himself watching World War II movies in reruns. He can quote Aeschylus from memory, yet his ambition is to write like Tom Clancy. His own life--in which he assassinates even men he admires, like Martin Luther King, Jr.--turns him into the anti-Forrest Gump, a man present at most of the turning points of recent history, the moving force behind the scenes who never steps out of the shadows to be acknowledged. As befits a rational man in these post-Freudian days, he is ironically aware that his life resembles the melodramatic contrivances of spy fiction. Yet the Smoking Man's real life falls short of both James Bond and Ian Fleming, and he discovers too late that the life he has created has betrayed him. After a lifetime of rewriting history with a bullet, he learns what it is like to have his own ending rewritten, "to be eviscerated by the actions of another".

I must applaud William B. Davis for a fine piece of work. He was able to go from utter frigidity, as in the scenes of the EBE execution, to bubbling naivete in a phone call to an editor. It's hard to out-deadpan David Duchovny, but what other actor could have delivered the "box of chocolates" speech straight-faced? He handled both of the tools of his trade--the scope mounted rifle of the assassin and the typewriter of the novelist--with practiced ease and skill. And his look of weariness and despair at the end, as he decides not to kill Frohike, revealed the Smoking Man's hopelessness and disappointment in life without adding a word to the script. Although there can be no "second chances" for him, he grants one, albeit unknown, to someone else.

It was wonderful to see Deep Throat again, and the scenes with him and the Cigarette-Smoking Man together were pure gold. Comrades in conspiracy, their conversation was marked by bitter undercurrents of distrust and pessimism appropriate for two men who have manipulated and lied until it is second nature. I was frankly surprised that Deep Throat trusted the Cigarette-Smoking Man enough to let him toss his own coin for the task of executing the E.B.E.--I'd have checked to make sure it wasn't a double headed coin. Jerry Hardin gave Deep Throat just the right look of revulsion as he entered the chamber to kill the alien. Morgan Weisser is as outstanding as I expected him to be, as the edgy, wary Oswald who realizes, too late, his role in this carefully scripted assassination. This is a difficult role to play, as so many movies and TV shows have shown us so many different versions of Oswald. Achieving a new or original interpretation is tough, but Weisser nailed it from the nervous tics and jaw clenches right down to the slight Texas accent.

Frohike will never know how close he came to annihilation, and the Smoking Man cannot tell him. I must applaud Morgan for an excellent character study, which shows us the Smoking Man's inward journey from a frustrated outsider to a cynical insider, a man who, morally ambiguous but potentially redeemable at the outset, became by one decision after another the monster we see sighting down a gun barrel in the first act. No one is born evil, but becomes so by his own decisions. Morgan avoids preachiness by lightening the mood; he spoofs his own script when we go from a smoke-filled meeting where the Cigarette-Smoking Man plots the death of Martin Luther King to a smoke-filled meeting where he decrees that the Bills will never win a Super Bowl "while he lives".

However, by now, we should know the Smoking Man's name. How could Frohike get all this information about the Smoking Man and not have his name? Of course he knows it, and that means Mulder and Scully know it. Byers knows it. Langly knows it. Probably Skinner knows it. Why can't we know it?

Much has been made of the chronological difficulties set up in this episode, and they were both important and disturbing. Having established in "Apocrypha" that the Smoking Man in 1953 was in his twenties or early thirties, and already working with Bill Mulder in the State Department, it is hard to reconcile Frohike's statement in "Musings" that the Smoking Man was born around 1940. It is even more difficult to reconcile Mulder's statements in "The Field Where I Died" that the Smoking Man was a Gestapo officer in Poland during the war. This is not the first time irreconcilable details have messed up the story. One can dismiss this sort of thing as "nit-picking", but this series heavily depends on realistic details to make Mulder and Scully credible against the background of the fantastic and bizarre that they must work with.

The mood was uneven and the chronology confusing, but the character study and the acting were excellent. Of course we don't really learn much about the Smoking Man, but at this late date who thought we would?

• CSM's background

So the CSM's greatest desire in life besides being a terrible man is to be a recognized author?

I have to say that the whole idea of having the CSM being involved in some of the most disturbing moments in the history of the United Stated was very original. His background, sad, lonely and tortured, made him the person that he is, however, there was a little pride, a little desire deep inside his heart that made him want to succeed and be acknowledged. But the result wasn't the one he expected.

In the end, he goes back to be the person that he can be. Someone who wants to be powerful by inspiring fear and terror.
  • We see the past of the Cancer Man

For four seasons, we've been lead through an elaborate plot that has had this mysterious "cancer man," or Cigarette Smoking Man, at the center of every plan to discredit or destroy Mulder's investigations into alien life. However, for the first time here, his past becomes a bit less hazy and instead of seeing some supervillain who wants Mulder destroyed, we see a sad and lonely man who joined the military at a young age and has been forced to do all sorts of dirty deeds as a result. It's strange to see a man who was behind the JFK and Martin Luther King Jr. assassinations really just be a guy who wants to write serial novels, but it really helps us to understand him a bit better and see him as less of a bad guy and more of a good guy being forced to do bad things.

The episode could've done without the whole "is the CSG guy going to kill one of Mulder's friends or not?" It really ruined the episode to lead us to believe something like that will happen and then just pull the rug out from under us. It's a cheap trick, but luckily, the rest of the episode was good.

I wasn't at all bothered either by the lack of Mulder or Scully. The power of William B. Davis and the actors who played his younger self made the episode interesting enough without actually needing the main cast. And it also leads us into what is sure to be a mythology based set of episodes (yes, I looked a bit forward in the episode guide..) Definitely a great insight into a mysterious character.
  • Autobiography of Cigarette-Smoking Man

A highly enjoyable episode. William B Davis is such a great actor, and an enjoyable screen presence, he usually lights-up every second of every episode he's in. So here, having a whole episode to himself, is a real treat. And this is *his* episode. The first flashbacks, with Chris Owens as his younger self, are a bit ridiculous. Having him CSM killing both JFK and MLK is little far fetched - but we are dealing in X-Files universe so the alternate reality fits in very well - but the rest of the episode is fantastic. This is the best episode of The X-Files that doesn't focus on Mulder and Scully. This is what Travelers could have been. The classic anti-life-is-a-box-of-chocolate speech is definitely a highlight. And I love the idea of the CSM has a failed novelist. You really sympathise with CSM in this episode, and it shows a whole new side of his character. The re-appearance of Deep Throat is also a great moment, and their exchange is another highlight.

An enjoyable lighthearted episode that diverts from the usual format with great effect. If you love the CSM as much as I do, then this episode ranks as one of the best.

10/10
  • Biographical details of the mysterious Cigarette Smoking Man (CSM) are revealed, placing him at the center of Cold War era murders as well as the plot to hide the existence of space aliens.

The Lone Gunmen piece together key events in the life of the Cigarette Smoking Man, including his Cold War inspired murders of President Kennedy and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The series FBI agents and the Lone Gunmen themselves are never seen in this episode. This is because the episode's entire camera angle (or viewpoint) is done from the perspective of the Cigarette Smoking Man himself, who is planning to kill the Lone Gunmen as they exit their not-so-secret hideout. He fills in some of the biographical details with flashbacks, including his desire to become a successful author, his cigarette habit, watchful eye on the X-Files project since the pilot episode and even some feelings of remorse. It is am amazingly engaging episode, given the fact that the series stars are heard, but not seen. A great episode for fans because it provides important details about the Cigarette Smoking Man past.
  • A look deep into the heart of the man we love to hate.

So far in the series, the Cigarette Smoking Man has been depicted as evil personified - a powerful, dangerous man who would go to any lengths to hide the truth from the American people, and especially our beloved heroes, Mulder and Scully.

In this episode, we see that CSM is once again up to no good, setting up a sniper rifle and audio surveillance equipment in a derelict office building. We soon realize that he is spying on Mulder, Scully, and the Lone Gunmen at the Lone Gunmen's headquarters. As the conversation begins rolling, the purpose of this stakeout becomes obvious - the Lone Gunmen have uncovered CSM's entire life story and are ready to reveal everything to Mulder and Scully. As CSM settles in to listen, so do we... and CSM's memories take us down a lonely road, littered with tragedy and regrets.

By the episode's end, even if we still believe that CSM is a bad man, we cannot deny that he wasn't always this way. Call me a softy, but this story broke my heart a little. After all this man has accomplished, all the power he holds in his hands, we learn that he dreams of simple contentment just like the rest of us. He desperately longs for a chance to start over and leave this life behind. When his big chance appears to have finally arrived, CSM is beyond elated - but alas, it turns out to be a dead end. CSM is devastated, and you long to put your arm around him and say, "Hey, it's okay... you can try again. Don't give up on happiness." But he has no one to tell him this truth. His heart hardens and he slips ever further into darkness. Perhaps the most poignant message illustrated by CSM's life is this: You may be free to make choices in life, but sooner or later the effects of these choices will reshape the person that you are - and you may come to find that you detest the person that you have become. At the end of the episode, CSM is faced with such a choice. How does he decide? Watch and see!
  • Everything you wanted to know about CSM, but were afraid to ask...

I must say this episode is a must see for anyone who wants to know about the CSM or if he is your favorite character. The Lone Gunmen call up Mulder and Scully and tell them what they think is the life story of the CSM. It is very interesting because CSM is listening the whole time and we never actually see Mulder or Scully in this episode we just hear them talking. As I said before we learn CSM's history and how he became an assassin to the man he is today. He also has a pretty good sense of humor, like giving the four men who work with him identical ties for christmas. That had me laughing out loud. In the end I'm glad CSM decided not to shoot Frohike. This episode is one of the best of season 4.
  • My personal favorite of all the episodes

Some people say the show jumped the shark aftr this episode but I strongly disagree with that. after all this episode has the best qoute of all time, "Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for."

This episode rocked, we got to learn all about the smoking man(the greatest villian of all time). What was cool was the way they made the smoking man the root of all evil. Plus they tied in all the little details conspirisy buffs love. We got to learn the hobbies and dreams of a evil mastermind. What else can you ask for?

My favorite episode and you never saw Mulder or Scully
  • we learn about CSM

Surprisingly, i actually really enjoyed this episode. I thought it would just be a filler because at the time i think DD and GA were filming the movie, but it was a well-thought about, clever episode. It goes into the CSMs past and we discover a little more about him, via a tapped conversation between TLG and Mulder and Scully. It's interesting that the CSM lets frohike live, being that he has the gun trained on him and is quite able to shoot him down, showing a side to the CSM that perhaps not many people seem to realise. This is again re-iterated in the writing thing he seems to have going on. Anyway, quite an enjoyable episode considering it didn't have Mulder or Scully in it. You should watch it if you haven't already.
  • You learn the past of the Smoking man.

This was a good episode. I have always found the Smoking Man to be a particularly interesting character. Here, we get to know why he is the way he is. I was particularly fond of the way that they integrated him into various historical events.

The episode is centered around him doing a surveillance of the men from the Smoking Gunman. He is listening to his own back story as told by these men. They apparently found something about his past and are telling our heroes about the situation. I found this to be an entertaining way present his back story.
  • The mysteries of CSM revealed

This episode explains a lot. All the things that the CSM has done make him a very dark character, but this episode also makes me feel bad for him. No family, no friends, even his writing career hits the rocks. Everybody treats him so badly, well, seemingly not his co-workers, since they ask him to join their families for Christmas. This maybe explains why CSM does the things he does. He doesn't have anything else than his power. The storytelling uses the old trick of someone else telling the story, rather than the character himself. This also leaves a lot to be questioned, maybe the Lone Gunmen didn't get all the facts right and the story of CSM is a lot different. The countermeasures filter thing in the beginning is hilarious, by the way.
  • Goofy Is As Goofy Does

Given its title, I was really looking forward to this episode, since at this point we still don't know much about the CSM. However, I was somewhat disappointed that the writers treat this episode as somewhat of a goof, depicting CSM as a sort of an inverted Forrest Gump. Instead of shaking JFK's hand as Gump does, CSM shoots him in the head from a hidden position underneath a gutter. The "box of chocolates" spiel is rewritten from a decidely more cynical perspective (brilliantly so BTW).

There's a lot to like in this episode. The writing is pretty solid and I loved the period costumes and set decor. CSM's abortive attempt to become a published writer is funny, almost touching, and it serves to humanize him. Problem is, I'm not so sure I want a humanized CSM at this point in the series.
  • What is real? What isn't? My head hurts.

This episode is brilliant for sooo many reasons. You could spend weeks trying to dissect the finer points of the story only to walk away knowing even less than what you came into it knowing.

-- Is the episode told from Frohike's Point of view? Or is it CSM reflecting on his past? Or is it both?
    -- Frohike's version of events is obviously wrong (or are they), but which particular stories are his and which ones are from CSM, which are what actually happened (or did they).
    -- The interaction with CSM and Deepthroat seems to be genuine, but one thing I've learned on the X-Files is that they NEVER go right out and actually show an alien like they do here, so that asks the question of... Was Frohike telling that story? Or was CSM AND Frohike telling that story? And if Frohike is telling that story, how the hell did he find out about that?
    -- CSM says he has never killed anyone, but he is clearly shown assassinating both JFK and Martin Luther King Jr. So is Frohike telling those two accounts? Or is CSM lying when he says hes never killed anyone?
    -- If he is lying, then why did he spare Frohike's life at the end of the episode? If he wasn't, then why does he have a gun on Frohike in the first place?

See what I mean? This episode is THAT complex and more, but you'll love every second of it. Of course, I might just be over analyzing but I think that's what the original intention with this episode was, they wanted you to think about it, even knowing they didn't really give you anything to think about at all. You just gotta love the X-Files.

And after this episode, you just might love CSM too.
  • Really pulls at the heartstrings. Who knew that they could turn CSM into a sympathetic character? Genius.

To add further depth to the X-Files universe, the writers of the show decided to do an episode devoted entirely to a side character. We only hear Mulder and Scully in a few lines of dialogue in the very beginning of the episode, and the rest is a smoky flashback into the various earthshaking deeds of the CSM. This episode is pure genius. I marvel at the superpowers of Glen Morgan and James Wong. Not only did they manage to turn a flat small, cold-hearted enemy character into a fully realized round character, complete with past, motives, and feelings... but they managed to dangle tantalizing hints for events to come and revelations to be revealed. The CSM's quest for publication and his child-like eagerness on the phone with the editor, his premature resignation letter, and the small smile on his face as he listens to Mulder quip with Scully on their first meeting - all these things add up to create a completely new feeling toward the CSM. Much as I resisted, this episode forces me to feel for the man and root for the good in him. He's Darth Vadar, and maybe our Luke Skywalker can turn him to good...
  • smoking man comes to life!

well well well.i've not wrote one of these in a while. anyhow- on with it!
    this episode is all about everyones favourite cancer man! mulder and skully dnt even appear in this one(apart from mulders voice- i think). so yeah, basically this re writes history and has cancer man snuff off famous people. i mean what other show could you do that in apart from the x files. anyhow, basicaly smoking guys past and thats about it. we see a more human side of his character and actually feel sorry for him by the end of the episode. over all a good episode
  • Makes the CSM seem human

My favorite part about this episode was watching CSM's reaction when he gets the letter that his story will be published - he is almost giddy with excitement. His conversation with the editor on the phone and CSM giving concessions was so out of character and refreshing - normally CSM would never concede anything. It really showed that he is human and wanted out of his secret life. It also strengthened the story of the bond with Mulder's dad and the picture he has of Mrs Mulder and Fox as a baby. That made me realize he feels he must protect Mulder. I think the story that CSM shot Kennedy and King were a bit over the top - maybe it would have been better to depict an involvement he had with the shootings, not being the killer himself. I did miss Mulder and Scully in the episode, but it was very good episode for the character development of CSM. I love the box of chocolates speech at the end - awesome. The Bills superbowl joke was hilarious too. All around a must see.
  • Showing the deeper side of CSM's character, you can't help but sympathise with him in this brilliant episode.

Up til this episode, everyone is used to seeing the Cigarette Smoking Man as an evil and sly character, who you just long to see come to a sticky end. But in this extraordinary episode, as you learn about his mysterious past, you begin to realise that he isn't as bad as he first seems.

I for one detested CSM right up until this point, yelling at the screen every time he came on and just wishing Mulder would pull the trigger on him. But now I actually quite like him, as this episode was written in such a way as to make it virtually impossible not to. William B Davis and Chris Owens both do a great portrayal of CSM as both a young and old man, and even without Mulder and Scully this episode is still brilliant.

Seeing what the Cigarette Smoking Man has been through and has done in his life actually makes you sympathise with him, in spite of various assassinations he has taken part in. At the end of this episode you realise that, whatever he has done in past episodes, he does have feelings, and this episode will probably change your opinion of him forever.
  • The one with the Cigarette smoking man

Wow, what an amazing episode.

The flashbacks, the directing and acting is superb. I didn’t like the CSM that much before this episode but this episode makes me love him. So much depth, it’s exactly why X-files is one of the best and most fascinating shows of all time.

The episode begins with CSM listening to Frohike talk to Mulder, during the entire episode we don’t see Mulder but we do hear his voice. CSM is outside waiting for him with a gun.

We see flashbacks of CSM, he didn’t always smoke and he loved to read. He was a good man until he was asked to murder John F. Kennedy, I thought the show went far with that storyline. Also apparently CSM murdered Martin Luther King.

The flashbacks were so well done, from black and white to normal. In all that time the CSM kept writing a book.

The biggest highlight was with Deep Throat, they were nearby an Alien but they knew they had to kill him to protect man kind. This time CSM made Deep Throat kill it.

The sadness of the episode was when CSM wanted to publish his story but instead nobody wanted to read it, CSM got depressed and fell back to what he used to be. A quit bad-guy who nobody understood.

I loved the way this episode made CSM look very different, it’s even hard for me to hate him.
    When he had the chance to kill Frohike he didn’t, he let him go.

What a wonderful episode, I’ve been inlove with season 4 so far but this one has been the greatest so far.
    ‘MOACSM’ is one of the show’s biggest classics.
  • THe scene in the alley where CSM definds his philosiphy of life to a deranged homeless lady is one of the pinnicles of television drama.

CSM's speech simply eviscerates the 'Life is Like a Bowl of Chocolates' slobber from the film 'Forest Gump' by telling us the plain truth about life as it really is.

For those of you looking for it, read the last parargraph. Print it, frame it, and put it on your wall.

"Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers."
  • One of my favourites

This is just an awesome episode. I remember watching The X-files when I was at the age of 9 and I remember that here in Bulgaria they aired only seasons 1 to 5 and I recently bought the DVDs with all the seasons and started from the very beginning. Well, it appears that "once upon a time" I missed this episode on tv and now when I watched it it was tremendously perfect. For the first time we are shown that CSM (Cigarette-Smoking Man) has its bright part in his soul. This is marked by the phrase that I can't get out of my head - "I can kill you whenever I want... but not today". We see how he has developed through the years and how he became the villain he is now. And despite all the things he has done in the episodes so far I sort of felt sorry for him because his only fault at one point was that he has been unlucky through the bigger part of his life. I shall say no more spoilers. Just this one again: PERFECT EPISODE. Watch it!
  • My favorite thing about this ep is that the CSM is revealed to be the reason the Bills never win a super bowl!

My favorite thing about this ep is that the CSM is revealed to be the reason the Bills never win a super bowl! It also explains the CSM's role in many historical events. ALthough there are discrepancies with other eps, one must remember that it is merely Frohike's account and that there may be errors.
  • The CSMs story, finally

Although we didn’t see Mulder or Scully, which are the main reasons I watch the X-files, that didn’t stop this episode from being an excellent episode. We finally see the cigarette smoking mans story. How he came to be. Murdered two of the nations most recognized men and got away with it, didn’t smoke until, I would guess, his mid twenties, discovered the existence of extraterrestrial live, a loner, although this we could assume, a story writer and much more. This was actually the first time I saw him smile. I didn’t expect much from this episode, but after watching it, I realized you can’t miss watching it.
  • Mulder and Scully recieve some information that could possibly tell them about the past of the Cigarette Smoking Man.

This episode was great for a lot of reasons. Mainly it was both a shock and somewhat of a guilty pleasure to see that the CSM was pulling the trigger on the JFK assassination as well as Martin Luther King's. Knowing that this already hated villian was behind such horrific moments in history (at least in the series...) just adds to his character, making you hate him that much more. However some of the episode also makes you stop and think differently, even if just for a moment. Some of the things that the CSM has seen would be more than enough to warp any mind, and it seems like this may be the case with the cold and stone-like smoker.
  • Adds depth and mystique to a fascinating character.

This episode shows the X-Files' main villain, the cigarette smoking son of a gun, through the beginning of his career as an upcoming FBI agent and his rises and falls all the way to his current position at the FBI. It is a wonderful episode that is frightening and historic, and is always worth watching.