The X-Files

Never Again

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 02, 1997 on FOX

• Scully meets a guy with an interesting tattoo...

7.9
    Okay, maybe my summary isn't the best description of what this episode is, but I was surprised at how much I ended up liking the episode by its end. It begins with Mulder and Scully once again splitting up onto two different paths and converging by the end. In a way, the episode reminded me of the Season 2 episode "3," which is easily my least favorite episode of the entire series. However, this episode succeeds where that one fails by having both Mulder and Scully in it and giving us a legitimate reason as to why Scully seems to be going off the rails.

The "X-File" of the episode is a bit weak; a man gets a tattoo impulsively after he gets a divorce and he's surprised to find the tattoo talking to him, forcing him to do things he doesn't want to do. Apparently, it's a tattoo that hates women and tries to protect him from being hurt again.

The best parts of the episode come in the second half.. the build-up to the conclusion isn't nearly as fun and exciting as the actual conclusion. The show has moments where it does action sequences very well, and this was one of those episodes.. I'm not sure I really care about the way it ended, but the episode itself was very strong. And Mulder and Scully, in the final moments, share a scene that is sad and mysterious at the same time.. and it helps to remember that Scully has some form of cancer from last episode, which likely explains her behavior. Overall, a pretty good episode.
EBE