The X-Files

Nothing Important Happened Today II (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 18, 2001 on FOX

• Nothing much happened here either

Apart from a lesbian friend of mine who was in seventh heaven to have Gillian Anderson, Annabeth Gish AND Lucy Lawless in the same episode, I don't think most people will rate this one that highly.

It's not awful and it does start off the season with the obvious lesson for us that it's no longer the David & Gillian show - and it continues the slightly darker edge that season eight had. Somehow, though, it's not the thrilling opening we might have hoped for.

And of course it's missing one very important element - Mulder himself. Despite appearing in a frosted shower door at the beginning (which presumably was not DD himself) his disappearance isn't that well explained. The show itself is still watchable and pretty good, but now that there doesn't appear to be any real sceptic, it's lost a little of its edge. Annoying as it was to always have Scully come up with a scientific explanation, especially when the viewer had seen the 'truth', it really did keep the series going.

I do like the fact, though, that they've changed the titles - it's about time (I know they put new images of DD & GA in before, but this looks much more like it.)

So all in all, an okay but not groundbreaking episode.