The X-Files

Quagmire

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 03, 1996 on FOX

• "All this moving around from crime scene to crime scene is giving me highway hypnosis."

"Quagmire" features Queequeg, Scully's dog, and the title can't be a coincidence. (How many words can you think of with both a "Q" and a "G"?) There is much to love about the episode. Start with the stunning BC scenery. Add the legend of Big Blue, a Nessie wannabe complete with cute likenesses on billboards and atop tourist shops. Plus we get to see Clyde Bruckman's dog again, adopted by Scully and seen also in "War of the Coprophages." Then there is the rapid fire body count... never a dull moment as bodies float ashore and turn up in the woods. And we get plenty of character development as Scully gets exasperated with Mulder and likens him to Captain Ahab (although I could have done without her calling him "megalomaniacal." Mulder? I think not.). The final scene is a great one, tying together both episode themes and the series' themes in one big blue bow.

This is "X-Files" at its second tier best... "Quagmire" doesn't rate as high as the classics but features all the broad stokes that make this show what it is.