The X-Files

Redrum

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 10, 2000 on FOX

• Redrum

Redrum was a superb episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of significant character and plot development. I liked the action, drama and intrigue as the story unfolded. The guest cast was amazing and it was great to see how agent Doggett's past could come into play with The X-Files. I liked how every thing played out. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Utterly boring

3.1
    Have you seen the movie Premonition with Sandra Bullock and Julian McMahon? Same theme, far more interesting, better actors, better script.

In fact I was so bored by this episode I turned it off after 20min or so. You already know by then that the man is living his life backwards and that he will eventually be able to save his wife.

Little do we see of Scully or Doggett for that matter, the acting is quite poor and this sort of storyline couldn't come at a worse time. There is no real suspense or character development. Avoid this if possible. Or see the Movie which is excellent and very thrilling!
  • A fascinating case of a man who lives the days after his wife's murder in reverse.

The title obviously brings to mind Stephen King's 'The Shining', murder spelled backwards. However, the title seem to refer to the backwards nature of the story and not as a nod toward 'The Shining', unless it perhaps obscurely reference's Martin's ability to go back in time. This is never explained, not even a vague reference to psychic ability or whatever.

A very interesting episode, as Martin gathers the information about the details of his wife's murder, he is able to anticipate and prevent her death. The only flaw is no explanation is even attempted which leaves the whole thing feeling somewhat random.
  • An uncompromising and moral ending.

So far, this is the best episode of season 8, of which I have unfortunately been unable to score a single episode higher than 7.5. However, this episode has the easy tension and mastery of the Mulder-Scully days. Ironically, this power is created largely as a result of the protagonist Wells taking the center stage from the chemistry lacking Doggett and Scully. Still, this episode provides some hope of a few other hidden gems to be found in season 8/9.

To defend the plot a bit: it makes sense that Doggett and Scully are on the case, since Doggett and Wells have a past relationship. No biggie here.

The episode is a slow burn as the plot reveals that our moral character may be our ultimate undoing, and that understanding our errors may not be enough to save us from them.
  • I miss Mulder, but...

Damn, I miss Mulder a lot and I miss his relationship with Scully. Besides I wanna know how it's possible that he is the father of her child... but the last episodes since Mulder last appearance in episode two have been great, better than some episodes when Mulder was on the show. This is the first time I watch the whole series and I thought I wasn't gonna like it that much when Mulder goes missing, but I gotta say, I like it as much as I did before. If the episodes with Mulder in the early seasons were as dark as these ones I would like it even more! Don't get me wrong, there were great episodes in the early seasons, especially the ones about the series mythology (the best ones, definitely!), but if the cases were this dark and so well written, it would have been better.
  • another great episode.

i like this story. a prisoner waking up everyday backwards in time. he hasn't any recollection of what he did & each time he only begins to learn in parts of what transpired the last day. i think this is a classic paranormal worthy of an x files investigation. the prisoner is a prosecutor, this time he found himself on that other side & a friend of agent doggett. the theme of this episode is second chances. a chance to make right something he did wrong in the past that he's making amends to right now. the title is a reference to that stephen king novel the shining spelled backwards & that's the story. the ending as always is just great very thought provoking w/ the narration about time in prison & given a chance to go back to change your past but it doesn't free you from your own character. how sad!
  • MurderRedrum

Not on a par with "Monday", but still an excellent time continuum episode in which a Prosecutor, charged with his wife's murder, realizes the days are regressing to the moment the "killing" occurred.

His past relationship with Agent Doggett, while not fully explored, is important in the context of the bitter-sweet ending, which identifies the killer while revealing a twist which lays the burden of guilt on to the prosecutor.

The revelation scene is unusually played out: the prosecutor's crime, rather than the exposure of the alleged killer, becomes the prime focus. This serves to highlight the profound importance of correctly following and applying legal procedure in law enforcement.

Overall, one of season 8's best episodes, and a worthy addition to the X-Files canon.
  • Well written but suffers a little from bad timing in the progression of Season 8.

Early in the run of the x-files, the show began to produce the occasional episode that was focused more on a minor character and even one that was told from another character's point of view. This is what "Redrum" sets out to accomplish. What it does accomplish is present a very coherent twilight zone-type narrative with Agents Scully and Doggett as background characters. However, at this point in Season 8, we have just begun to get to know Doggett and we are witnessing one of the few cases that Scully undertakes with her new partner while Mulder is missing. But this doesn't necessarily hurt the season as a whole. The episode is still solid. The writers even try to introduce very minor character development by making the protagonist a close friend from Doggett's past. This attempt at character development fails since we don't really learn anything new about Doggett nor does the D.A. ever return on the show. But you can't blame the Steven Maeda for trying to push his episode over the top. This is an excellent second effort from him and overall an entertaining hour. It just comes at a point when this type of episode is the last thing the audience really wants. If you can get past that, it is intelligent, creative, and a bit scary.
  • Skcus

6.6
    An interesting twist on the overdone "Groundhog Day" scenario. Instead of reliving the same day over and over, our hero begins living his life in reverse, with Thursday followed by Wednesday followed by Tuesday etc.

In the hands of a more skilled writer, perhaps it could have worked. As it stands, however, this episode plods along with all the drama of watching grass grow. There are precious few surprises or clever revelations from day to day. Instead, we get gratuitous recurring images of a spider in its web, a nanny-cam that teases but reveals nothing, an utterly ineffective defense attorney and a shanking in the prison yard that immediately telegraphs the identity of the real killer.

The actor who plays the accused prosecutor is decent enough but a little of his anguished "but I'm an innocent man" facial expression goes a long way and he eventually becomes tiresome. You actually begin to hope that the father-in-law comes back to finish the job he started.

A huge plot hole that destroys the integrity of the story occurs just after Doggett captures the real killer. Even though the killer is identified by the nanny (who was, um, Being Held Hostage by him at the time of his capture), incredibly it is the prosecutor who is immediately arrested and charged with the crime, with the killer also going to prison with him for some unknown reason. Utterly, stupidly incongruous.

Doggett is in full bulldog mode, practically spitting into the accused prosector's face every chance he gets. Scully is wheeled in to listen sympathetically to the accused prosecutor's story for a few brief moments at the beginning, only to return at the very end to witness Doggett plug the real killer. Oh, and by the way, why the heck are Doggett and Scully even involved in the first place?

All in all, a missed opportunity that would have benefitted from better writing and a more dynamic actor in the lead role.
  • A man's life runs backwards towards the decisive moment when he can amend his wrong-doing and save his murdered wife.

Fantastic stuff. Doggett and Scully are bit players here, and they are surprisingly not missed. It's not often enough that we get to see the X-Files from the affected victims point of view, and from concept to execution to performance to payoff, this episode hits every note perfectly. Highlight of the season.