The X-Files

Redux (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 02, 1997 on FOX

• Redux

Redux was a perfect season five premiere episode of The X-Files and I really enjoyed watching because we were shown more of why the characters chose the path they did. I liked the story and character development along with the action, drama and intrigue. It was awesome watching Scully tell her story and seeing Mulder continue his investigation though he was being watched by the Cigarette Smoking Man. I look forward to watching what happens next because the ending was awesome!!!!!!!!!
  • Season 5 premiere

After Season 4 ended on such a strong string of episodes, I was hoping that Season 5 would kick off with a bang.. however, part 2 of this trilogy seems to be a filler episode, a section of the trilogy that simply exists to lead us from the excellent Part 1, which could arguably be seen as one of the better episodes of the show, to Part 3, which I hear is just as good, if not better. There was a lot of revelations and new information here, but sometimes, a show can rise or fall depending on how well they reveal the information. Unfortunately, the way they revealed all of this new stuff was a bit flat, albeit interesting.

We pick up right where we left off, with us learning that Mulder actually isn't dead but is faking his own death so he can learn more about this Michael guy from the D.o.D. The way the show is leading us, it appears that Chris Carter wants us to believe that all of the alien plots have been a hoax, which I absolutely refuse to believe, just like Mulder, regardless of the proof we're given. There were massive use of horrible voice-overs, something that works well in Dexter and Burn Notice but horribly on this show (at least in my opinion). Either way, by the end of the episode, we're left not knowing who in the world to trust. To be honest, the Cigarette Smoking Man in this episode seemed to actually harbor some guilt towards Mulder's "death." He appeared to be upset a bit and feel responsible for him. I hope we get some insight into that.

The episode ends also with us not knowing if Skinner can be trusted, something I also refuse to believe. We were lead for four seasons to believe Skinner is a good guy that will do anything he can for the X-Files. Let's hope these hints that he's a bad guy are false.

I'm sure that this little trilogy of episodes as a whole will be great, but as with every trilogy, there's always a weaker link, and I'd say that this one is the weak link.
  • Redux excitingly folds the conspiracy players into the inner quests of Gethsemane, gives us equally compelling perspectives on the alien invasion debate, uses a more cinematic palette, and triples the typical number of mythology-episode voiceovers!

Redux so strongly benefits from its source material-JFK-that I don't mind that it completely rips it off. Sure, the walk 'n' talk intercut with stock footage adds up to a whole lot of hokum, but it's a fun, fast-paced ride that helps, along with the new widescreen aspect ratio, lend this episode a more cinematic quality than previous X-Files episodes have. Similarly, although the voice-overs are among the purplelest pieces of prose I've heard, the underlying montages of the leads doing their jobs – particularly Scully, with her mysterious scientific tools – are mesmerizing; how many other shows are fetishist about centrifuge analyzers?!

The best trick of this episode is how its turns the individual-quest issues of Gethsemane into a unified, if still separate, search for the cure to Scully's cancer. Yes, Mulder is still coming to terms with his new skepticism of extraterrestrial life, but over and over we hear that both characters are working against time to save Scully. In addition, Redux seamlessly brings the conspiracy players into the fold, and sets up each of their motivations for they ways in which they will manipulate Mulder and Scully in Redux II. Thus, when Redux II picks up Gethsemane's quest themes, I don't feel like Redux had shafted me, but rather that the dominoes-internal journeys, external machinations-are ready to fall.

A final achievement Redux should be lauded is for allowing us to equally believe contradictory bits of information. Obviously the Kritschgau stuff is quite convicing, but we still see the conspiracy players meeting up, and they obviously believe that they're facilitating an alien invasion. So, who's right? How do these pieces mesh?
  • Walkie, Talkie

The switch to a widescreen format is a fantastic and much overdue development and it serves the cinematic feel of the series well. The framing in this first episode seemed a bit "off" to me, as though it was simply matted to letterbox from a full screen source but I can't be sure.

Anyway, count me as one of those fans who do not like the use of voiceovers in this episode. They are, on the whole, rather badly written and more than a little pretentious sounding. They are also way, way overused in this episode, to the point that they kill the action onscreen. At one point, we have Mulder striding down a hallway in the secret DARPA complex while he gives us a voiceover explaining that he is, indeed, walking down the corridor. A deadly boring use of voiceover. Previous episodes in Season Four were able to use voiceover to great effect and so it's a mystery why Chris Carter stumbles so badly here.

One other criticism is that I found the acting a bit "wooden" in this episode, as though the actors had yet to shake away the cobwebs from their summer break. There's just the slightest loss of chemistry here that I hope is regained as the season progresses.
  • The one with a bunch of lies

‘Redux’ is the opening of season 5 which continues the lies of ‘Gethsemane’

The episode shows what really happened to Mulder, he actually saw someone filming him and shot him in the face. I wished it would have taken a bit longer because in that way it would have been more painful for the viewers.

Anyway, with this, Mulder goes to Scully and makes her tell the lie about his suicide. Then he uses the guy’s pass to go to something secretive and there he sees the guy who told him all the ‘lies’ in the first place/ But Scully had already identified the guy so when Mulder leaves to find the truth the guy gets taken away by the military.

When Mulder enters a top secret room he finds a whole bunch of aliens lying on tables, when he enters another room he finds a lot of women impregnated with something. When he looks deeper he finds something that may be the cure but the lone gunmen tell him that it’s only water.

Cancer Man keeps being an extremely interesting character, somehow he just sensed that Mulder was alive and when he could have stopped him he didn’t.

Also Scully believes that Skinner might be working for the bad guys from the beginning,. She finds some calls of his and when she speaks with a jury she wants to tell them about Skinner who might have given her cancer but then she suddenly has a nose bleed and passes out.

The episode is a brilliant way to continue the first part and might as well be even better. The voice-overs were great and the scenes of history that were used fitted perfectly. A great way to end the second part.
  • X-files at it brilliant best.

This for me along with it's other 2 parts is X-Files at it finest. It has a brilliantly written plot and really somes up what both the series and the characters with in it are all about. It highlights the sacrificies made by mulder and scully in there pursuit of the truth and weaves yet another layer into the conspiracy in a very plausible way.
    There are alot of voiceovers which are unpopular with some fans but I think they are well used in this case and add to the intensity of the episode.
    Another fine example of Gillian Anderson's wonderful acting skills and DD and MP do a great job as well.
  • Voice-over orgy

How exciting was "Gethsemane"? How moving and spectacular is "Redux II"? Very. On both counts. So how come "Redux", as the middle part in this trilogy is such a mess? I have no answer.

the fact is, sadly, that pretty much nothing happens in this show except for long-winded scenes that neither show nor tell anything except to provide a background for some of Chris Carter's most embarrassingly prosaic monologues, voiced by both Mulder and Scully, telling the viewer again and again and again about the labyrinthine plot he cooked up about all the alien stuff on the show only being an elaborate hoax. In "Gethsemane", this was an interesting mind game, but at this point, it's become pretty clear that it's just another diversion. Clearly, The X Files would not turn out to be NOT about aliens, so why do the characters (including CSM) act like that were the case? It's as if, for now, Carter wants to convince the audience to "believe the lie", only to take it all back a few episodes later. On paper: good idea, in execution: not so good. It only confuses things unnecessarily. That story should've ended while it was still fun - in "Gethsemane". "Redux" is tired, too full of itself, faking complexity where in fact there is only one giant plot hole. And now, looking back on it, it's difficult to reconcile some aspects of it with the rest of the show. Is CSM hiding the alien conspiracy by showing it to Mulder, then arranging to have it disproven to him? I get it, yes. It's another diversion of Mulder's quest for the truth, but isn't this becoming a bit too convoluted here, especially considering the erratic nature of CSM's behavior? Does he want Mulder dead? Alieve? And why?

If this review is now becoming incoherent and confusing, pardon me. Because the episode confuses me. And irritates me. Because again, not that the plot points weren't bad enough, they had to be delivered in this uninspired fashion that doesn't explain anything, but just provides the segue from the first to the third part. That's just not enough. On any level.