The X-Files

Redux (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 02, 1997 on FOX

• Redux excitingly folds the conspiracy players into the inner quests of Gethsemane, gives us equally compelling perspectives on the alien invasion debate, uses a more cinematic palette, and triples the typical number of mythology-episode voiceovers!

Redux so strongly benefits from its source material-JFK-that I don't mind that it completely rips it off. Sure, the walk 'n' talk intercut with stock footage adds up to a whole lot of hokum, but it's a fun, fast-paced ride that helps, along with the new widescreen aspect ratio, lend this episode a more cinematic quality than previous X-Files episodes have. Similarly, although the voice-overs are among the purplelest pieces of prose I've heard, the underlying montages of the leads doing their jobs – particularly Scully, with her mysterious scientific tools – are mesmerizing; how many other shows are fetishist about centrifuge analyzers?!

The best trick of this episode is how its turns the individual-quest issues of Gethsemane into a unified, if still separate, search for the cure to Scully's cancer. Yes, Mulder is still coming to terms with his new skepticism of extraterrestrial life, but over and over we hear that both characters are working against time to save Scully. In addition, Redux seamlessly brings the conspiracy players into the fold, and sets up each of their motivations for they ways in which they will manipulate Mulder and Scully in Redux II. Thus, when Redux II picks up Gethsemane's quest themes, I don't feel like Redux had shafted me, but rather that the dominoes-internal journeys, external machinations-are ready to fall.

A final achievement Redux should be lauded is for allowing us to equally believe contradictory bits of information. Obviously the Kritschgau stuff is quite convicing, but we still see the conspiracy players meeting up, and they obviously believe that they're facilitating an alien invasion. So, who's right? How do these pieces mesh?