The X-Files

Redux (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 02, 1997 on FOX

• Season 5 premiere

After Season 4 ended on such a strong string of episodes, I was hoping that Season 5 would kick off with a bang.. however, part 2 of this trilogy seems to be a filler episode, a section of the trilogy that simply exists to lead us from the excellent Part 1, which could arguably be seen as one of the better episodes of the show, to Part 3, which I hear is just as good, if not better. There was a lot of revelations and new information here, but sometimes, a show can rise or fall depending on how well they reveal the information. Unfortunately, the way they revealed all of this new stuff was a bit flat, albeit interesting.

We pick up right where we left off, with us learning that Mulder actually isn't dead but is faking his own death so he can learn more about this Michael guy from the D.o.D. The way the show is leading us, it appears that Chris Carter wants us to believe that all of the alien plots have been a hoax, which I absolutely refuse to believe, just like Mulder, regardless of the proof we're given. There were massive use of horrible voice-overs, something that works well in Dexter and Burn Notice but horribly on this show (at least in my opinion). Either way, by the end of the episode, we're left not knowing who in the world to trust. To be honest, the Cigarette Smoking Man in this episode seemed to actually harbor some guilt towards Mulder's "death." He appeared to be upset a bit and feel responsible for him. I hope we get some insight into that.

The episode ends also with us not knowing if Skinner can be trusted, something I also refuse to believe. We were lead for four seasons to believe Skinner is a good guy that will do anything he can for the X-Files. Let's hope these hints that he's a bad guy are false.

I'm sure that this little trilogy of episodes as a whole will be great, but as with every trilogy, there's always a weaker link, and I'd say that this one is the weak link.