The X-Files

FOX (ended 2002)

farscapefanuk

The X-Files Fan Reviews (411)

• One of the very best

Simply put, one of the best TV series of all time, Only LOST betters it in the Sci-fi/fantasy genre.
  • FIGHT THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!

I AM THE RAINMAN!
  • Best Season of all Time

Scully please come. People want you!
  • A Dysfunctional Family, and Proud Of It

The Simpsons is a show about a nuclear family residing in Springfield. Homer the father works at a nuclear power plant, Marge the mother is a housewife, Bart and Lisa go to Springfield Elementary and Maggie doesn't do anything. She's dead weight, like all babies. The show is really long, episode count speaking. I guess that's OK.
  • wrote the previous harsh review, revisited/changed opinion.

i initially wrote the critical review of the series "one of the most overrated series of all time", i admit i was unfairly harsh toward the x-files with my first experience, a little voice inside of me kept whispering for me to go back and give it another chance, and so i eventually went back and watched the entire thing and both movies.

while i still do agree with my point about it being overrated in the context of people ranking it with perfect scores and saying it's the best ever, in that context i do think it's very overrated (because of the hype, etc) but upon my revisiting experience i did have a much more enjoyable experience and appreciated it alot more on my second attempt.. i just wanted to come on here and admit i was wrong in alot of what i said.. i still had to skip some episodes because alot of the "monsters of the week" i wasn't feeling but overall i did greatly enjoy my experience and have a new found respect/appreciation for the series. anyway, glad i didn't give up on it and gave it another chance.

(it is the same person btw.. i forgot my password and using facebook login)

anyway, that happens sometimes when you first experience something and it doesn't go well but then you revisit it later with a different mindset and different perspective and things change. so, my apologies to all x-file fans and everyone who worked on the x-files. -humble, new fan. :D
  • The X files, no show ever excited me as much as the X Files. Great stories, great acting and great special effects make this show a personal favorite.

I am not gonna say that i like this show because of Moulder or Scully, I am not going to say I like this show because of the creepiest, weirdest, strangest stories ever, I am not going to say I like this show thanks to the fact that I have always believed in aliens, no, not any of those reasons. The main reason would have to be that this show is a work of art, every single detail is well crafted and something supernatural comes out of all this, something that captures you and wont let you go, something that kept me for many seasons begging for more.
  • A Must

The X-Files is quintessential viewing for any Sci-Fi and mystery geek. It started off slow with mild conspiracy theory. Later as the show progressed past the mobster of the week stories the conspiracy grew and at tines dragged the show down. Fortunately this was corrected, albeit slowly and the continued on a steady pace that can't be ignored.
  • Was good in its day....

I loved the x-files first time around and found it thoroughly engrossing. Unfortunately, I rewatched it recently and found it to be incredibly cliched and wished I hadn't.
  • Good Scripts

The family loved the show and no one came out of the closet, the whole family hated when Mulder left the show. Great writing and very very good acting made for great entertainment
  • LOVE THIS SHOW

This show gave me nightmares as a kid, but now that i have re-watched the entire series I had come to the conclusion that it is incredible, while still giving me nightmares. Gotta love the tension between out 2 favorite FBI agents. Sadly, i dont care much for duchovney's replacement...
  • Fair to good.

I think this is an interesting show but it is also a bland show in many ways. A vast conspiracy is featured involving a deal some wealthy men made with some aliens (??!!) which somehow makes sense in the context of the show...in the meantime Mulder & Scully encounter all manner of unexplained phenomina-all tied to crime in some way. Different. There was never any theories aired about what could be a reason for all the unexplained phenominons except the alien conspiracy-which is not connected to all the unexplained things...Cool. Real Junior G-men stuff. I'm so cold. I did enjoy the chemistry that existed between M & S...but I often found S's skepticism in view of what she was experiencing to be strange. Well, 'tis gone now...right out into the sunset. I didn't like the sequel to the X-Files movie...really dull stuff in X-Files terms. The Lone Gunman was a good spin off but it didn't last for very long, unfortunately.
  • Will it go on?

Will we find ourselves watching any more of Mulder and Scully? I certainly hope so...
  • Still my all time favourite show

What can i say about The X-Files, other than it is the best experience i have ever had watching tv, and to this day,i still watch the whole show once a year,and i always seem to find new things in it. I was 23 when it began,so it took me on a journey i will never forget.

The production value of this show still holds up today,even though some of the effects might look dated compared to new shows,but the writing more than makes up for that.

I dont care about the nitpickers out there that say this show is merely mediocre, it wasnt,and isnt.

If you want a good time watching aliens,monsters and all manner of other "out-there" stuuff,x-files is the way to go
  • A show that sears year after year

The X-Files to me is not merely the greatest sci-fi series or horror series. It's basically the top creme de la creme of television itself. Why I make that exclamation is simply because it fuses various genres - horror, conspiracy, the supernatural, and of course comedy - into one source of perpetual entertainment that seems to intrigue the viewer throughout its nine-seasoned history. But the show never let plots get above characters: indeed, the most beautiful thing about The X-Files lies in its ability to contort perception and character in a remarkable manner. To say in the least, it maintained a clever balance of reason (represented mainly by Scully) and openness (by Mulder) throughout its mainstream seasons (upto 7) that never did remain resolved, even after Scully herself encounters paranormal activities on various occassions.

Add to that the 'hidden pasts' of the various characters involved - including the ominous relationship between the Cigarette Smoking Man and Fox Mulder - and you have one wonderfully constructed mytharc that sears time and age. While other sci-fi series (such as Stargate) rely more on effect and expression for viewership, The X-Files always relied on impression and subtle hints to gain its critical popularity. It is a testament to its ovation that it remains, in every fan's view, the greatest series in television history, and not just limited to science fiction. And no amount of spin-off movies or comics or video games can erase that.
  • My favorite show !!!!

I'm still waiting the third movie. One of the best shows ever !

I hope that the series "unique" being prepared by Carter has at least as secondary characters Mulder and Scully !!!
  • one of the most overrated series of all time. most people give this a perfect 10 scoring? come on.. if this is what you consider a perfect series without flaw then i just don't even know what to say to you.

i grew up in the 90's so i am definitely familiar with the x-files, although i never really followed it, just caught a few episodes here and there (i wasn't that into television back then). so, finally i decide to sit down and go on the long journey of 9 seasons and 2 movies that is the x-files.... i know alot of things i am interested in has influences from the series and it has so much praise... based on this i was going to just buy the whole series blindly.. thankfully i didn't and just tested out 3 seasons.

i could only make it through 3 seasons of the long journey, it was like a punishment trying to get through it and so finally after 3 seasons i just said "forget this there is way better shows out there i still have to catch up on".

basically you have the voice of science (dana scully) and of faith (fox mulder). they boringly sludge and stumble their way to find all the unusual, out of the ordinary things out in the world and it's just so badly done... most of the "x-files" are these ridiculous stories which mulder looks and feels like he's going to fall asleep while investigating.. there is no emotional connection or bond to be found anywhere in the seasons i watched, someone will die and it's just like nothing happened.. the way it's done and the way the actor's handle it is just so bad haha it's comical in a way.

i feel nothing between scully and mulder.. there is supposed to be some connection or bond between them but you could find better chemistry just putting 2 puppets up there without a soull or heart or feelings and it might have more of a relationship... and this is usually the reason i follow a series is for the bonds and relationships that are formed but there is nothing in this series.. it's sparkless... it's one big giant void... empty of anything that resembles a true bond.

there were a few interesting episodes here and there and i enjoyed seeing some of the early work of actors i really like.. for instance mark a. shepphard (from battlestar galactica/dollhouse/leverage,etc) playing a twisted guy who can control fire.

i know some people will try and come to the defense of the series and say something like "you only watched 3 seasons it get so good later on".. and that is fine.. but i am 100% sure that even if i watched 100 seasons it would still be one of the most boring and overhyped experiences i've had in a series.

it would of been good if it was cut down to about 6-8 episodes a season like they do in the uk and cut out most of the nonsense and just focused mainly on the conspiracy and alien story arch.

i really wanted to like this series... i tried, to the point of almost forcing myself to like it and after not liking it i felt bad... like "is there something wrong with me?" because everyone seems to love it and rave about it.. but what can you do.

i mainly write this to say to anyone thinking about getting into the series... that to not just go buy the whole thing blindly but to try and preview a season or two.. it might end up saving you alot of money which can be put to something that is great.
  • fbi agents mulder(david duchovny)and agent scully(gillian anderson) are investigators of x-files,which is unsolved cases involving the paranormal.

i was born in 1990 so when i was young i used to hate this show but now that i am older i gave this show a shot b/c im a big fan of scifi tv.i was pretty shock how good the show is.

the acting is great considering david and gillian have great chemistry.and i love how mulder(david character)believes in the paranormal world and scully(gillian character)doesnt.scully believes in science.

the show mixes those little action scenes with alot of horror and mystery which makes the show even more better.(i love when they have those ugly looking monsters on the show)

over the show 9 seasons run the writers were able to keep the show good,fresh and kept the plotlines and stories different and fun.

the only problem i had was i hate how the writers would tell u 1 thing and then later u find out that was a lie:)but i guess its okay b/c it keep u wanting to know what the truth is.but one thing that bother me was the show started out very good but in the last 3 seasons the show wasnt bad but i just thought the seasons could have been alittle better.then on top of that the main 2 characters almost disappear during season 8 and 9 but the writers make it work.

with all that being said.

the show is really good.the acting great,the horror and action keep u on your toes,the plots are really fun to watch and the show is just great.

the rating would have been higher but i didnt like how they would change things,the last 3 seasons werent all that and the main characters seems to disappear but the writers make it work.

watch the show.:)every scifi fan should watch this show.

• X Files - Quite possibly the most addicting show I have ever watched!

Some of my earliest memories are that of me sitting in my bed listening to the X Files' historic theme tune floating through the house from the downstairs living room. Unfortunately being born in 1992, and therefore only being 1 when it was originally released, it has taken me up until now to discover The X Files. But wow, what a discovery to make! I am constantly in awe at the sheer brilliance of each episode, be it serious, disturbing or on some occasions down-right hysterical, I am always left wanting more. Moreover, I have begun to find myself really caring for the well-being of the characters. For example, I no longer watch the show merely in search of a thrill, but more in order to watch the development of each character and their relationships with one another. Therefore, I think it is pretty easy for me to say that I would highly recommend any and everyone to watch this show. And who knows, you may become as hooked as I have! :D
  • X Marks the Spot on my Mind!

In 1993 Chris Carter Created a little show called the X files. Fox was sure it would be cancled after the first season, but by season 2, it had become a world wide pheomenom. The earliest memory I have of this Is a trailer for the Movie on my Home Alone 3 VHS, it looked really intersting. In 2008 when the second movie came out my teacher told me it was a great show, and he lent me the second season on dvd... the rest is history. I now own all 9 X files seasons, 3 Milleniums, Lone Gunmen, and both movies. I Love the X files.
  • The X-Files: The Best of the World Series and forever my favorite!

A unique series that helped in the creation of several other series (not only science fiction series) and never merely the only science fiction, horror has, Thriller, Action, Adventure, Black Comedy, paranormal and governmental cover-ups of high grades, Misterios , Artificial intelligence and many more things beyond imagination and that defy science, X-Files besides being my favorite series was the first series I watched,''Surely 'X-Files''' and an unprecedented series, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in addition to having a great chemistry together as actors act very much like the Main characters: Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, Mulder and Scully in addition to being the best pair already created, and The Adventures of Mulder and Scully are surely the best, when I watched the fox was much younger then and I was quite afraid to watch X-Files but still I watched, and to be honest until today I'm afraid, I've watch all the seasons and two movies for the record, X-Files was the best and is still the best series that came and FOX of any channel broadcast TV and cable channel and any channel in the world, thank God my parents and I have all The X-Files Collection on DVD My Collection relied on the Nine Season Two Films and X-Files, I hope you have a third and final so finishing the Serie X-Files movie with a very good X-Files has a faithful audience Known as The Excers, and I am one who Excer'll always find X-Files: The First and Best of all series and for Always My Favorite, the number 1.

ps: sorry to note that only goes to 10 because X-Files deserve much more than 10, all X-Files is just perfect!
  • Okay show.

I only watched this show a few times, but I left unimpressed. For many years I have been hearing what a classic show this was, but I fail to see what those people to see. I will say that the acting was good as was the suspense. I often found myself entertained in some episodes. The big issue I have was the fact that it got old real quick and I soon tired of seeing aliens and such. Overall, this is just an okay show to me and I will say that it has its moments at certain times. Thank you.
  • The best scifi show ever

This show lasted 9 seasons before it was cancelled in 2002 this show will be greatly missed by every 1 who watched it the great actors storyline and everything in this show was great i was actually crying during the last episode i really was i loved this show ill miss it always
  • The X-Files gave us two FBI agents, by the names of Fox Mulder, the "believer" and Dana Scully, the "skeptic" to solve the unexplained, the weird, the "out there" and government conspiracies in this great series. The X-Files is just one outstanding show.

Okay, I do have to say how much I loved the eerie music in the opening credits. Mark Snow is one hell of a genius. We meet a young pathologist who became a FBI agent to distinguish herself and gain respect. Her name is Dana Katherine Scully. She's given the task of working with my "out-there hero" Fox William Mulder. Together they solve cases that are left unsolved and ignored. The so-called X-Files. Unknown to them at the time, they become pawns in a much bigger game. This series is my very first television show that premiered when I was five, even though I probably started watching when I was six or seven. There has never been a series that I loved more than this show and probably never will again (except for Supernatural, but it might be ending, too). This series reminded me of Kolchak:The Night Stalker. I have to say how brave and grateful I am for Chris Carter and the team. I'll take this time to thank and say how much I miss Kim Manners. That man was legendary. Mulder and Scully gave me nine wonderful years and two movies, so actually XF is 16 years old? Wow. Just a Awesome And the Best show about Aliens Ever. Little Fringe will never compare. I know the truth is out there, you just have to know where to look.
  • The X-Files brought a new concept to the television screens and audiences throughout the world. Although not being based on the full truth it brings a clever look to situations commonly reported from tribes, religious minds and day-to-day people.

I've started buying the X-Files DVD boxsets via Amazon on 2nd hand for bargains. I was too young to view when it first got aired in my country (I was at the mere age of 5 in 1994). The show itself brings a fantastic atmosphere of what was around at the time, while not completely losing its modern value. This series, without the sometimes dodgy music, technology and fashion can still be well adapted in today's perspective. I've only just finished on season 1 (except for the season finale) and the time image is so fascinating to me, and so is the plot. Scully & Mulder are like the perfect couple and a well balance between the positive and negative, you'd die for some on-screen romance after 23 whole episodes, you can feel the chemistry between them. Some of the subjects are very farfetched like the werewolf theme and the alien killing sprees. With a bit of an eyebrow raised, and an open mind the fiction and non-fiction will be separated in a phenomenal television experience.
  • Agent Fox Mulder ventures on a quest to investigate cases deemed "unsolvable" by the FBI, often dealing with the paranormal. Assigned to evaluate the validity of his work is medical doctor and fellow agent Dana Scully, a scientist and skeptic at heart.

The X-Files follows the story of Agent Fox Mulder who ventures on a quest to investigate cases deemed "unsolvable" by the FBI, often dealing with alleged paranormal activity. Assigned to evaluate the validity of his work on the so called "X-Files" is medical doctor and fellow FBI agent Dana Scully, a strongly skeptical scientist at heart.

From the start of the show you get the understanding that Agent Mulder is a sort of outcast in the FBI. He is ridiculed for his investigations and beliefs in supernatural phenomenon. Dana Scully, on the otherhand is well respected, she had given up a promising career in the medical field in order to join the FBI and better serve her country. As opposite the two seem, it doesn't take long for the chemistry of a perfect team to form between them.

The X-Files is an excellent sci-fi show and easily one of the best in television history if not the best itself. The show follows a main storyline, but also includes several episodes that stand alone, and do not require prior knowledge of the series. These "monster-of-the-week" episodes follow Mulder and Scully as they investigate an X-File, which can relate to aliens, a telekinetic murderer, mutant insects, or a hoax.

The show gets you invested in both main characters as well as several supporting ones. While not every episode is a classic, very few disappoint. You will laugh, you will cry, you might even get a bit freaked out by this show. But you won't be disappointed

...that is, until the last two seasons of the show. For reasons that you can't be too upset about, Mulder stops being a regular on the show in the 8th season, while still an essential character, David Duchovny doesn't appear in many episodes of the 8th season and hardly any at all in the 9th. Scully also slowly starts to lose her regularity on the show in the 9th season.

Don't worry, the actors and writers involved in the show were cool enough to make their lack of appearance work with the storyline, and so nothing gets ruined from the show's "mythology"...but the quality of the episodes does diminish when the coolest characters aren't there...duh.

All in all, it's a great show. I give it a 9.0 (would've been higher, but you can't ignore the last two seasons)
  • The X-Files - The best sci-fi series on televison!

At first glance,The X-Files never caught my eye, I used to watch a show before it was on and caught the start. But then I started to watch it more and loved Mulder's dry humour and the partnership between Mulder and Scully. I was absolutley drawn in by the chilling storylines that kept me on the edge of my seat everytime! The plots where the government tries to cover up the conspiracies and Mulder and Scully finding the truth were my favourite because the themes are so deep and it made you question everything and made you think differently. The relationship between Mulder and Scully can't be compared to any other partnership and you couldn't have picked better actors than David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson to play the part. Their on-screen chemistry, in my opinion, makes the show what it is. The dangers they face and their trust in one another kept me hooked and David and Gillians portrayl of Mulder and Scully just blew me away! The special effects and music used on the show were brilliant. The effects used to make people look the part - whether it was looking dead, alien-like or just plain scary sent shivers down by spine everytime! The music that goes along with a scene is simply amazing and sends emotions sky high!

The X-Files is an amazing show that covers all aspects of drama and sci-fi and the right amount of comedy to make one hell of a series! I am currently in the process of collecting all the seasons - And i'll never ever get tired of watching them :)
  • Only Seen The first 3 episodes...

...And I love it! We watched this in my Television and Social Culture class and it was interesting! Scully and Mulder are a very interesting pair and the concept of this show is interesting. Granted, I can't do a full review on the series as a whole, but the first 3 episodes were all amazing in their own ways. Definitely think I am going to watch more and soon become a fan. My overall grade, and this is just based off the first three episodes, is an A+, and just by that you know it is a good show. Perfect
  • One of TV history's best shows ever

It was a quite Friday night when I happened upon a freaky show playing on the Fox network. This was something I had never before experienced. I watched with eyes glued to the TV. I was mesmerized, completely humbled. After the very first episode, I made all my friends and family aware of this great show. And quickly, the X-Files became a staple in not just my household, but all my friends and acquaintances homes as well. I'd rush home and dad would be "the X-Files is coming on, hurry up!" and we'd all crowd around the TV to be spooked and moved by this show. This was the last TV show that I actually revolved my schedule around (pre-Tivo!). But unlike most fans, it was the so-called Monster-of the Week shows I loved most. Yes the on-going alien conspiracy intrigued me as well, but I love the mystery and surprise of the separate cases that Mulder and Scully would tackle. "All Souls" and "The Post-Modern Prometheus" are my favorites and amongst the best that TV has to offer, IMHO. Yes, the chemistry between them was the heart of the series, in my opinion, which is why I tried watching the last couple of seasons, but could not get involved with Gish and the T-1000. Still, the sad departure of Mulder can't soil the first several seasons of the X-Files-the best sci-fi, mystery, drama EVER.
  • It's almost hard to fathom how amazing this show is. Never have I been so taken aback by the pure genius of a televion show. If I could only watch one television show for the rest of my life, hands down, I would choose to watch The X-Files.

Honestly, it's stunning how Chris Carter was able to create such a piece of art. Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny couldn't have been better picks for Mulder and Scully. They work together beautifully, I find myself feeling as though their problems were my own. Never before have I been so touched by a show. It's an understatement to say that Anderson and Duchovny have an amazing talent for acting. Every episode is brilliant. The plot is beyond engrossing. Even if you know how the episode ends, you still find yourself on the edge of your seat worrying that Mulder and Scully won't escape. The endings are never what you think. There is nothing predictable about the storyline. When you think you've figured it all out, you had better be ready to be wrong. Episodes can be sad, hilarious, scary, serious, and even disturbing. And no matter the mood of the episode, I can guarantee you that it will be a fantastic episode.

It saddens me to know that I was too young to enjoy The X-Files when it was first on TV. But with all 9 seasons on DVD, I've found myself watching them all day. To be honest, I couldn't think of a day better spent. No, that's a lie, a better spent day would be one in which I was hanging out with Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, watching The X-Files.

Even if you aren't a fan of the genre, you will find yourself in love with The X-Files, that's a promise.
  • It wasn't given the best ending, but a great show nevertheless.

Okay, I was only six when this show first began in 1993, but to me, The X-Files was a great show. David Duchovny (Fox Mulder) and Gillian Anderson (Dana Scully) made the show what it was, and it was a credit to not only them but the writers and producers as well.

The X-Files was a science-fiction show, based around FBI Agents Fox Mulder and his partner Dana Scully. Mulder believed in aliens and unexplained phenomenon – Scully was a sceptic. Together, they tackled the weird and bizarre cases of the X-Files. Through the many years that Mulder and Scully were partners, we saw them go through many different experiences together. Scully was abducted by Duane Barry; Mulder went through the impossible task of finding his sister, Samantha; Scully battled cancer for a while; and Mulder, well he continued his search for the “truth”.

The X-Files was a series which was lucky enough to have been made into a movie. “Fight The Future” was released in 1998 and it was great to see both Duchovny and Anderson on the big screen together.

By the end of the series, The X-Files had lost a lot of its momentum, with David Duchovny in a few select episodes, Robert Patrick (as John Doggett) and Annabeth Gish (as Monica Reyes) joined the cast. The loss of David Duchovny was perhaps The X-Files downfall. I don’t believe that it should’ve continued after he left, as fans of the show (from an Australia point of view) stopped watching and the timeslot for the last series in particular, was pushed later and later into the night.

All this said, The X-Files was a great science-fiction show with numerous devoted fans, and will continue to be a great show for many years to come.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10