The X-Files

Sanguinarium

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 10, 1996 on FOX

7.4
  • Mulder and Scully look after a guy who's using witchcraft to kill plastic surgery patients.

While this doesn't quite reach the ridiculous depths of the previous episode, it comes close. It just doesn't make any sense to me how they get from the beginning to end. I suppose you could figure it out with time and maybe by reading the plot on the Wikipedia page, but without it, it's ridiculous.

The plot itself is eerie enough and worthy of some promise.. people going into surgery for plastic surgery are being killed by the doctors, who seem to be under some sort of trance as they kill the patients. Mulder believes right away that it's possession and even Scully seems to be willing to put aside her skepticism.

But from here, we get some really confusing and insanely complicated scenes involving witchcraft and the Sabbath and all sorts of weird things. It's so hard to explain it, and I really wish I could. There's references to medicine being a common factor among the killers, but it's never re-referenced.. and one nurse is shown to dabble in witchcraft... but she's NOT the killer?! So that means there's two practicing witchcraft people in the hospital? Like I said: confusing and insane.

The plot itself had some promise but the writing just completely ruined it.