The X-Files

Scary Monsters

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 14, 2002 on FOX

• And Super Creeps....

This one is a rehash of the old Twilight Zone series' "It's A Good Life," which itself was rehashed for the more recent Twilight Zone feature film.

There isn't anything particularly special about this episode. The plot is fairly contrived and manipulative. I mean, why would three FBI agents go schlepping out into the night to essentially perform a wellness check on little Tommy, in another state no less? It's plain stupid, even for our insipid little Agent Harrison.

Doggett is remolded into the "skeptic" version of his character for this episode, which is an essential element of the plot. But remember when he was a "believer" in Season Eight's "Via Negativa?" You know, the one where he couldn't tell whether or not he was living in a dream created by the three-eyed guy floating in the lotus position? If Doggett's sense of reality could be altered so easily in "Via Negativa," why then is he immune in this episode? Answer: Because it suits the writers and, after all, his character has never been much more than a plot device to be recast according to the needs of each story.

I liked the closing scene in which Agent Harrison remarks on the superiority of the Mulder and Scully characters while capping on Doggett and Reyes. It's a sly acknowledgement of the prevailing fan hatred for Doggett and Reyes and I was surprised to see it included since it cuts straight to the heart of the general suckiness of the series in its final two seasons.