The X-Files

Sleepless

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 07, 1994 on FOX

• Good acting

This episode has some interesting aspects. It introduces Kryceck, and marks the first on-screen appearence of X.

I like Nicholas Lea's performance in this episode. He plays Kryceck as a rookie who is eager to prove himself, and almost overplays that aspect of the character. Which works well, since Kryceck really isn't who Mulder thinks he is. So what you end up with is Lea doing an excellent job of portraying Kryceck, doing a good but not excellent job of pretending to be green.

I also really like the scene with X in this episode. I like that right from the start he is portrayed differently from Deep Throat. Deep Throat was always calm and fatherly towards Mulder, and had a lot of information which he had held for years and years. X is a lot younger for one thing, which means it would have been odd to see him act fatherly, and it's evident that he hasn't had all the information that he has for as long as Deep Throat had. And I like that he isn't as calm as his predecessor; he is slightly irritated and clearly a bit scared. It makes him a very human character. He is afraid of ending up like Deep Throat and is clearly helping Mulder for some other reason than to be helpful to Mulder in particular. The character is well written, a great replacement for Deep Throat, and Steven Williams is brilliant in his scene.

As for the rest of the episode, the plotline is interesting enough. I like the plotlines that deal with things that aren't necessarily paranormal, and this episode had a touch of that as well as of paranormal things. Tony Todd was interesting to see in his role. But it felt a bit like the case storyline didn't get as much time as it needed. Though since the episode also included the things with Kryceck and X that is understandable.