The X-Files

Squeeze

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 24, 1993 on FOX

• Eugene victor Tooms the name says it all

- Together with "Ice" , "Beyond the sea" and "Tooms" this is the best episode of the first half of Season 1: damn scary, with an original, fascinating / disgusting mixture of human and monster. A very high benchmark for all other MOTW episodes to come.
    - It's also a hint towards how diverse the X-Files universe will be, and that the series will be able to surprise us with "fresh" stories again and again.
    - A lot depends on Doug Hutchinson as the guest star. His stare, yellow eyes and facial expression are extremely irritating. His role as Tooms is an unforgettable TV classic IMO.
    - Tooms is also one of the very few characters the agents sometimes refer to in later episodes. An extremely rare case of continuity.
    - Again we have a shift in the POV, Scully was central in the Pilot, then Mulder in "Deep Throat", now it's Scully again, mainly because of her connection to a**hole Colton. The negative tension between them adds even more "drama" to the story. Strange to see Scully's connections to the world outside in the early episodes (like in "Jersey Devil", too). Later on she doesn't seem to have such acquaintances anymore. But it's also nice that she again confirms her loyalty to Mulder at such an early stage.
    - There's this special type of music in the score here for the first time, I don't know how to describe it. It is typical for creepy or weird moments on the show, and sounds like a lot of pizzicato strings getting faster and higher. I think it's in the scene where Tooms disappears in the air shaft and turns the screw from inside. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? Anyway, it's great. :)
  • Is this what it takes to climb the ladder, Colton? Then I can't wait till you fall off and land on your ass.

One of Scully's friends from the Academy asks for her help on a series of murders that involve no clear point of entry and Scully and Mulder discover similar cases in the X-Files since 1903. Eventually, Scully's profile leads the FBI to a suspect named Eugene Victor Tooms. Eugene Tooms is a liver-eating mutant with the ability to squeeze himself into the smallest places and now is after Scully. Squeeze is a fascinating episode that blends horror with the procedural police drama and Doug Hutchison creates one of the most recognisable and scary villains of the series. It was the episode that hooked me to the show and remains one of my favorites.
  • The X-Files second pilot . . .

The X-Files had the mytharc and the monsters of the week, two distinct episode types, and so it's almost like it had two pilots. This is the first MOTW, and it's amazing; I was actually afraid of the dark the night after I watched this, and that didn't happen with very many episodes. Chris Carter always says that the X-Files is as scary as it is real, and this episode is a perfect example because, while mutants may or may not exist, we all have ventilation shafts, and what may be coming through them in the dark is all left to the imagination . . . Also, Scully may get saved in this episode, but she puts up not only a good fight but a nearly successful fight before she does so. Hear that sound behind you? Its the sound of the screw turning on your vent. Better get out.
  • The only episode of "The X-Files" to make Channel 4's "100 Scariest Film and TV moments" countdown.... (it came 13th, between "Se7en" and "The Evil Dead")!

Probably the most important of all the early episodes of the X-Files. Yes, even more than "Ice" (although thats a slightly better show, for me personally). Firsty, it establishes that the show is not just going to be about aliens and conspiracys. And what a way to show it!!! I read that they had a really hard time making this episode because of problems with the director, but it really doesnt show at all. "Tooms" is a scary character, mainly because of the way in which he gets to his victims. No one is safe, no matter how secure you are locked away. Its certainly not perfect. Scullys Mulder hating former colleagues are very annoying, although they are really only potrayed this way to make Scully's decision to side with Mulder easier to believe. But everything else is just great. The lie detector scene, the ending with Tooms in his cell.... scary.
    The best thing is that he's brought back later in the season. Probably the best compliment you could pay this episode is by finding a random casual viewer and asking them to name an Xfiles villian.. and the chances are Tooms's name is the one that will come up
  • Squeeze

Squeeze was another perfect and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome, well written and the actors were phenomenal, the directing and editing were awesome and the over all production was superb. I like the dynamic developing between Mulder and Scully. I liked the paranormal aspect explored in the story which was very well portrayed. I like how the episode played out and ended. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • The first MOTW

Probably one of the best episodes of this season, this is the first one about a mutant, the famous monster of the week. It's good to see Scully outside her work with Mulder. It's also good to see how she has to stand all her friends and her comments about her "Spooky" partner. What I like is that even when she's just getting to know Mulder, she seems to be upset and angry about it. But she's a professional and accepts to work with them, only to realize that Mulder may be right about his theories than her own friends.
    Eugene Tooms is creepy. His quiet and innocent personality makes you think he wouldn't hurt a fly, but it takes a profiler to uncover what lies beneath that look. The whole case is interesting. Can you imagine a serial killer that can hibernate for 30 years only to wake up, kill and hibernate again? I like how Mulder is very territorial this time and he focus all his energy in finding something to put Tooms in jail. We see for the first time a Mulder trying to save Scully from being killed and at some point this brings them a little bit more close.
    In the end, Tooms is caught and they find all his abnormalities. But who knows if the case is really closed.
    LG
  • A Personal Favourite.

Squeeze is the first episode of the X-Files that isn’t about Aliens and is more about the supernatural. A series of mysterious murders take place, with no clues of how they happened, apart form the fact that the kidneys had been removed. Mulder and Skully investigate. A man is apprehended- but there is no way to prove that he did it. He is Eugene Victor Tooms, and the way the actor plays this guy, you will hate him. He plays him really good, and Tooms comes across as a slimy no good so and so. He is set free due to lack of evidence and he goes on a killing spree again, but this time after Skully. Oh I forgot to mention that he is like Mr Fantastic of the Fantastic Four and can stretch any part of his body to fit any shape. This is a great episode, and Tooms is a great Baddie. Great acting, Great Story, Great Everything really. A Personal Favourite.

• Right on the mark

The first real stand alone episode, or Monster of the Week depending on what you care to call it, sees Mulder and Scully dealing with a hibernatory mutant killer who feeds on human livers every 30 years. Oh, and he can squeeze through the tiniest of apertures. How ridiculous a premise does that sound on paper? No matter, this is handled in a tight and streamlined manner so we instantly bypass all our prejudices about a premise like that and tap into the underlying context of the piece. Namely that’s it’s very scary, and that we’re not safe in our own homes.

The interesting thing about this X File is that it is treated as a proper police procedural. The teaser shows us Tooms at work (although we never see him properly). The second killing is the first time we physically see for ourselves what a monster Tooms actually is, and ironically it’s a much less violent murder than the first. But in the meantime we have Mulder and Scully doing some solid detective work, particularly Mulder with his knowledge of 90 year old murder cases. The Tom Colton character is there to show us the conventional side of police investigating, the addition of the X Files team to show us that on a case like this, when all the proper angles have been exhausted, it’s time to look to the paranormal. Mulder’s belief system being borne out there to the letter.

Here we see a much more confident Scully, both as an agent (not bothered in the slightest about stepping on Colton’s toes) and as an actress (Anderson’s whole vocal pitch and body language shows that’s she’s relaxing into her role). The climax of the piece sees her in the midst of some action too, and although Mulder has to break the door down to rescue the damsel in distress, she at least has the presence of mind to cuff the murderer. And Duchovny too is already in the place where we want him to be. His initial encounter with Colton in which he basically takes the piss out of this straight-back agent is done with just the right amount of casualness. His comeback to Scully (“Do you think I’m spooky?”) also lets us see the first real glimpses of Duchovny’s greatest acting ability – his ease with humour.

“Squeeze” also gives us the chance to appreciate the capabilities of composer Mark Snow, largely for the first time. In “Pilot” and “Deep Throat” the underlying score was just that – underlying – but here it is more prominent and highly effective. Whether it’s the slither effect that Snow uses when Tooms is squeezing himself into some aperture, or the chilling repeated one note he employs at the end of the episode as the incarcerated killer starts building another nest in his cell, both of these show us that Snow too has found his feet with regards to the show in a relatively short period of time.

And of course we love the line about the bile, don’t we? Is there any other show other than “The X Files” which would incorporate bile as a prop? Probably not, and that’s why we love it.
  • Squeeze

A very interesting serial killer who can squeeze through any gap which proves nobody is safe even Scully who is attacked in her own home but Mulder came to her rescue There was a nice cliffhanger at the end but the question is will Tooms just escape and continue killing.
  • Mulder and Scully investigate a serial killer who has been killing since 1903

This episode Squeeze is a phenomenal episode with a serial killer called Tooms who can fit through just about anything and used it to his advantage to kill.Mulder and Scully try to stop the serial killer but the more they investigate the more their lives are in danger when Scully is attacked at her own home but Mulder rescues her but that might not be it even with Tooms in jail he gets brought food through a food slot and he looks at it knowing he could maybe fit through it.I think Tooms will be back.
  • One of the best

This is the first episode I ever saw, and also one of the best. I really enjoyed it and it made me want to immediately add X-files to my Netflix queue in the morning, because it is entertaining, comprehensive, and exciting even to someone who has never seen the show. Scully is absolutely gorgeous in this episode for some reason. She's always gorgeous, but in this episode, she was abnormally stunning. But this is besides the point, because this is just another atribute in a nearly flawless episode. There is not a dull moment, and the story line flows smoothly. Plus, it makes sure to creep you out and look at vents every once in a while.
  • Scully investigates a case with her friend who wants to work his case up the ladder. She slowly begins to despise him the more he puts Mulder down. In the end, it is, of course, Mulder to the rescue.

A really good episode. I liked some of the humor and some of the pain. I also liked the loyalty Scully showed to Mulder after only 3 episodes. It showed real potential for the wonderful relationship they have in the end. I love how Scully is willing to give up her relationship with an old friend to support Mulder.
  • Ooh, that Eugene Tooms! He'll come to no good!

First, let's get the nit-picky annoyance out of the way. I was always happy to take Eugene Tooms as a monster. He needs livers to survive, and morality doesn't come into it. That's a description that works for me. So why does he take trophies? He lives in a cocoon so why does he need pretty things? This may fit with the serial killer profile, but Mulder acknowledges this doesn't work as it's not about the thrill of breaking security? I felt this was the weak link of the plot, especially as it was necessary to draw attention to Scully's temporary necklace. But moving on...

Squeeze is a great episode. This is where the music and sound effects really come into gear. The sound of his joints lengthening is really sickening. And Toom's theme? Brilliant!

There's some wonderful moments of suspense. Like when we know Tooms is coming down the chimney but - phew - the fire is lit. Too late, he's behind you. Eek! On the other hand, it's quite clear Scully will be the next victim. This is a woman who should NEVER run a bath as it always leads to trouble. It's almost a shame Tooms didn't make more effort to escape from the handcuffs, which logically would only slow him down for a moment.

Tooms is so scary because he's generally under played. He seems to mild mannered and unassuming. But there's always an air of menace. X Files has taught me that if anyone gives you the creeps, you should run away very quickly. I lose a lot of friends that way, but I keep my liver intact.
  • A very scary episode!

I remember this episode well, the first time I ever watched The X-Files I snuck downstairs when it was past my bedtime and watched this episode. It gave me nightmares for weeks! Even watching it now it sends a chill down my spine, I think it's those eyes that creeps me out the most. The episode as a whole was very captivating and that scene at the end in Scully's apartment had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Overall I think that this was a very strong episode with a bad guy that could frighten even the hardest of people.
  • This episode is truly scary...

Just had a chance to watch this, and it was frightening to say the least. Mulder and Scully were brought in to help the Baltimore P.D. solve an a murder and they end up finding out that there's more to the case than meets the eye.

The acting in this episode was pretty good for the most part, with Doug Hutchinson doing a great jobs as Eugene Tooms. He's one of the more frightening monsters from the first season. Hiding out in the darkness... sometimes it pays to have a baddie do that... instead of being right out in the open.

The atmosphere in this episode was just chilling and dark, and it worked with feeling of the episode as well. You truly felt as if the said monster was going to go after you too.

As for moose and squirrel themselves, they ended up doing a FAR better job in terms of finding out the truth than the cops themselves did. All the cops did was be inept, and make fun of Mulder. On a side note, wanted to knock them upside the head for that XD. Scully's friend Tom Colton (who's an FBI agent himself), did the same in terms of not taking Mulder seriously. Pretty much they all treated him like he was some kind of nut case.

Overall though, this is one episode that is worth the watch and the special effects hold up pretty well after all these years.
  • Squeeze

'Squeeze''' is a great episode with Thriller, Action, Horror, Black Comedy, where we have The First Episode style, Monster of the Week X-Files style and Term Monster of the Week, which was virtually created by the X-Files and used by several other series such as Supernatural, Buffy - The Vampire Slayer and Smallville, beyond this episode out of the main subject or mythological space invader 'X-Files and American government conspiracies and other countries showed that X-Files are not going to talk about his Mythological subjects and that along the X-Files they had isolated cases, besides presenting the Mutant Killer Immortal Eugene Tooms who is considered the best Monster of the Week X-Files, Eugene Tooms must kill people to feed on the livers of them to live well Always, so he can be to get through the entire stretch smaller holes and thus able to attack their victims, Mulder and Scully still face Eugene Tooms once again in great episode titled'''Tooms''' that same season .
  • X-Files proves, they are more then UFO's and aliens. If them ETs knew what lives on earth... they wouldnt want to colonize us!

This is an absolute classic... it has a lot of memorable dialogs and a unique, x-files-exclusive monster! Tooms... the name alone gives me the creeps... but this episode wasnt really about the paranormal... it was about Mulder and Scully, their relationchip, their loyality for each other, it was about Mulder being the geeky freek at the FBI. It was those elements that, combined, made the first season of the X-files that great!
    I think it was a great decision to make the first "monster of the week" a exclusive monster, espesially if it was that great like Tooms, and not a vampire, ghost or werewolf! This is not only a X-Files classic... but a classic in the whole horror-genre!
  • An absolute classic! Squeeze is one of the best loved and most watched episodes and all fans must love this one! Cleverly written and excellently cast.

Who will ever forget Eugene Victor Tooms?
    Noone that loves the X Files, that's for sure.
    Theis episode gave us a lot of great scenes, a ton of wonderful lines and some visual effects that left us wondering how in the world they pulled that off?!
    I know this wasn't one of my favorites at first, but the more I watched it, the more I loved it.
    Then of course when they made another episode with tooms in it, everyone was dumbfound and excited all at once because who ever heard of coming back to an X Files? Unheard of even in the first season! :)
  • A new definition of 'creepy'

Coloquially speaking, Squeeze was one hell of an episode. Its structure acutely depicted the invincible terrors lurking inside that janitor called Tooms, with his animal instincts cleverly shown in a slow-motioned sequences of him staring at his potential victims. And though his very true animalistic nature were to be shown later in 'Tooms', I still thought this was worth it, particularly promising since this was the first 'Monster of the Week' episode in the series' history. What a superb premise it was!
  • Very well done.

This episode seemed very well written and put together. The clues were presented in a well organazied fashion. This particular episode also had a plethera of people, other than Mulder and Scully so the viewer got to see other people's views on Mulder. This episode also featured an old detective that was pretty much on the same page as Mulder; I thought this was brillant as well because it helps to substatiate Mulders theory with something other than the fact that it can not be proven by science. Seeing how Scully works with other people other than Mulder, such as old Accademy acquatiences, was also a key componet in this episode. It was wonderful to see the diffrence between her and Mulder and her and others. In short, this was a well written episode, that contained character development, a good plot line, and exciting events. It was well worth watching.
  • Please explain!

Am I the only one who realizes that this thing can squeeze through an air-vent but cant get its hands out of a pair of measly handcuffs? (that's how Mulder stops him) A major inconsistency like this really ruins the episode, which makes me sad :(. Can someone make sense of this please?!
  • This is the episode

This is the episode where the scene in the intro were Scully and Mulder enters a room. It also show a man that is 100 years old.
  • Liver Let Die

One of the creepiest, most original X-Files episodes, Squeeze was the series' first foray into monster-of-the-week territory, successfully steering away from the UFO/alien-type storylines and creating imaginative, memorable bad guys.

The episode sees Mulder and Scully investigating a series of seemingly random murders in which each victim had their liver removed. Mulder believes the killer is a centuries-old mutant who awakens from hibernation every 30 years to kill five people and eat their bile, in order to sustain himself. The mutant, Eugene Tooms, has the ability to squeeze his body through tiny spaces and sets his sights on Scully...

The best thing about this episode is undoubtedly the chilling performance from Doug Hutchison as Tooms. He has hardly any lines but is truly unsettling throughout. From his mannerisms to his eyes to his silent glares, Hutchison brings to life what could have been a slightly unspectacular opponent for Mulder and Scully and gives such a good performance that the writers ended up asking him back later in the season.

The investigation moves along at a steady pace and there's a genuine sense of urgency as the leads have to capture him before he kills his fifth victim. The only annoyance is the direction by Harry Longstreet. The constant swishes of the camera look cheap and tacky and the scene where Tooms attacks his fourth victim look extremely corny. But those are just tiny complaints in an episode which is mostly perfect.

Featuring a classic bad guy, an intriguing M.O. and some excellent performances, Squeeze is one of the finest hours of The X-Files. An episode every X-Files fan needs to watch.

Director: Harry Longstreet
    Writers: Glen Morgan, James Wong
    Rating: A+
  • the best episoode is not a tight squeeze

This has got to be one of the best episodes ever of the X-files. The 2 parter is maghic on so many levels. Also, in the pre alien hunt section of the X-files, there was a lot that was just fun and unknown. Tooms fits this part like a glove.

The way the facts go, the way the 'evidence' is found is a delight from the beginning, until the unforseen end. So my hat is of to the writer on this one, and let us see more of this.

So without any further ado: Fox mulder and the raider of the lost Tooms.

Liver sandwich anyone?

• the creepyness...

when i first watched this episode, i loved it! i mean comeon, scully gets rescued my mulder! and the bile scene was disgusting but nicely shot. the actor who played eugene tooms was great! he acted as if he was really tooms! when mulder sees scully\'s necklace, he\'s face turns into a stone, and rushes out. at scully\'s house, she doesnt kno that tooms is there and is totally unawered, until a yellow stuff drops from her ceiling! then tooms burst out of a vent a scared the heck out of the veiwers!(it that to me atleast)but mulder get there in time and rescuses scully(loved the scene)
  • The first monster of the week and one of all time creepiest

Squeeze was the first X-Files episode I ever saw and I was immediately hooked in the show. It scared the hell out of me but for some strange reason I couldn't change the channel. Needless to say that I didn't miss an episode since then. Eugene Tooms is one of the creepiest and scariest creatures/villains in The X-Files universe. He has the ability to squeeze into the smallest of spaces and he appears every thirty years to feed on human livers in order to survive for eternity. The episode is very well-written and directed, the actor who plays Tooms is absolutely amazing and Mulder and Scully's dynamic is strong even this early on the series.
    Squeeze is the perfect episode to get someone introduced to the beautiful world of The X-Files beside the Pilot. It captures the magic of the show perfectly.
  • A muntant killer who can squeeze through almost anything kills 5 people a year and hibernates and uses his vitims livers as food comes after Scully for his last victim

This is such a classic X-Files Episode. The First one not on Aliens. This episode shows that people do make fun of Mulder and how he copes with it. I'm so glad that they made Tooms (squeeze 2) such a classic monster. This episode has Mulders best quote "Is there any way I can get this of without ruinning my cool extirior". Oh I love that. One of the famous bathrooms scenes had me griping to my chair in fright and wonder why Toom's didn't squeeze out of those handcuffs. This episode is just one of those classic monster shows.
  • The first X-Files episode to deviate from the alien abduction standard does so with a unique and frightening flare.

Squeeze is the first official "monster of the week" story of The X-Files, meant to establish early on that this is not just a show about a bunch of different alien abductions. The idea of a serial killer for whom no point of entry is too small is a chilling idea that is carried off well inside a clever script, and will undoubtedly leave the viewer nervously checking their vents before they go to bed each night. The character of Tooms is also memorable, his primal rage so searing that his every word becomes terrifying. Squeeze also begins a lovely X-Files tradition of Scully being targeted by insane whackos, and fans will love nothing more than seeing this woman put up a fight. Squeeze is a first-rate episode that showcases what television can really be when it puts its mind to it.
  • A classic example of why The X-Files went from cult favorite to mass hit, Squeeze is the first non alien episode and showed that the series wasn't just a one trick pony.

Squeeze is from Morgan and Wong, my personal two favorite writers of the show. Aside from a single later episode they wrote, the duo produced some of the absolute finest hours of the show that were non mythology. It is also of note that under this duo's pen Mulder, although not specifically seen here, is amongst his wittiest and funniest.

The episode, featuring truly horrific character Eugene Toomes, showed that the show wasn't just about aliens and government conspiracies, but about a whole host of other things. This was the first other thing Mulder and Scully faced. While it almost pales in comparison to some of the later stand alone episodes that were to come, it rates so well to me as being the first of its kind for the series.
  • Squeeze me pleeeze me

What a good episode. I remember this from when I first started to watch the X Files, and it frightened the life out of me. Tooms is so ordinary, but completely whacked. The idea of someone coming inside your house through the tiniest of spaces is chilling. The elongated fingerprints and the way this guy can get into the smallest places is both ridiculous and very eerie. This is definitely one of the early classics in the X Files and showed how the programme could go places that were not comfortable and not always explicable. The whole liver harvesting is a bit daft, but it's why the X Files was and is so compelling
< 1 2