The X-Files

Squeeze

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 24, 1993 on FOX

• This is the episode

This is the episode where the scene in the intro were Scully and Mulder enters a room. It also show a man that is 100 years old.
  • Creeeeeepy stuff!!!!

First off my apologies but I must scoff at the fans on here moaning about the relism of the ep, or lack of. Hello have you ever watched this show before????? For me this is classic X Files with a truly terrifying monster. Well paced episode that was played well by all :)
  • Parawacky!

Just when we might think that we have a show about UFO cover-ups, we get this episode that might well have been at home in a season of "Tales From the Crypt". I assume this falls in the "paranormal" category that the opening credits has been warning us about, but it's more like a cheesy horror episode from "Kolchak: The Night Stalker".

It's not enough that we have a human who can squeeze himself through small openings, but the writers add to the fluff by making him immortal (through hibernation) and a harvester of livers (couldn't he just to a meat market and buy all the beef livers he wanted? What a picky diet!). Of course, Mukder is right on top of so familiar with every file in his cabinets (going back at least 100 years) that he immediately knows where to look for the fingerprints at the crime scene and knows how to match them to the culprit with an amazing DOS program. And yes, the perp could easily have slipped out of the handcuffs when Spooky nabbed him.

THIS EPISODE WANTS US TO BELIEVE IN: Extreme contortionism; human hibernation.

BELIEVABILTY RATING: 2/10

Not a terrible a bit of fun to watch, but the believabilty of the show really suffers with a plot like this.
  • Please explain!

Am I the only one who realizes that this thing can squeeze through an air-vent but cant get its hands out of a pair of measly handcuffs? (that's how Mulder stops him) A major inconsistency like this really ruins the episode, which makes me sad :(. Can someone make sense of this please?!
  • Squeeze

A very interesting serial killer who can squeeze through any gap which proves nobody is safe even Scully who is attacked in her own home but Mulder came to her rescue There was a nice cliffhanger at the end but the question is will Tooms just escape and continue killing.
  • dont get this sight

just created acct still cant watch the xfiles whats up
  • Mulder and Scully investigate a serial killer who has been killing since 1903

This episode Squeeze is a phenomenal episode with a serial killer called Tooms who can fit through just about anything and used it to his advantage to kill.Mulder and Scully try to stop the serial killer but the more they investigate the more their lives are in danger when Scully is attacked at her own home but Mulder rescues her but that might not be it even with Tooms in jail he gets brought food through a food slot and he looks at it knowing he could maybe fit through it.I think Tooms will be back.
  • Squeeze

Squeeze was another perfect and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome, well written and the actors were phenomenal, the directing and editing were awesome and the over all production was superb. I like the dynamic developing between Mulder and Scully. I liked the paranormal aspect explored in the story which was very well portrayed. I like how the episode played out and ended. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • This episode is truly scary...

Just had a chance to watch this, and it was frightening to say the least. Mulder and Scully were brought in to help the Baltimore P.D. solve an a murder and they end up finding out that there's more to the case than meets the eye.

The acting in this episode was pretty good for the most part, with Doug Hutchinson doing a great jobs as Eugene Tooms. He's one of the more frightening monsters from the first season. Hiding out in the darkness... sometimes it pays to have a baddie do that... instead of being right out in the open.

The atmosphere in this episode was just chilling and dark, and it worked with feeling of the episode as well. You truly felt as if the said monster was going to go after you too.

As for moose and squirrel themselves, they ended up doing a FAR better job in terms of finding out the truth than the cops themselves did. All the cops did was be inept, and make fun of Mulder. On a side note, wanted to knock them upside the head for that XD. Scully's friend Tom Colton (who's an FBI agent himself), did the same in terms of not taking Mulder seriously. Pretty much they all treated him like he was some kind of nut case.

Overall though, this is one episode that is worth the watch and the special effects hold up pretty well after all these years.
  • A new definition of 'creepy'

Coloquially speaking, Squeeze was one hell of an episode. Its structure acutely depicted the invincible terrors lurking inside that janitor called Tooms, with his animal instincts cleverly shown in a slow-motioned sequences of him staring at his potential victims. And though his very true animalistic nature were to be shown later in 'Tooms', I still thought this was worth it, particularly promising since this was the first 'Monster of the Week' episode in the series' history. What a superb premise it was!
  • Bendy boy!

Squeeze is not one of my favorite epps because tooms kinda freaks me out. Whats with his yellow eyes. Ewww. In squeeze murder victims are found in places with locked windows and doors- with no known point of entry. Mulder finds a finger print in one of the more recent crime scenes. The only problem is the guy would have to have ten inch long fingers. Mulder has a different idea... He has xfiles with similarities. He thinks they were all commited by the same person and that that person needs five livers to live an extra thirty years in hibernation. He also thinks that tooms is over one hundred years old. It's one of the creepier ones.
  • Squeeze

'Squeeze''' is a great episode with Thriller, Action, Horror, Black Comedy, where we have The First Episode style, Monster of the Week X-Files style and Term Monster of the Week, which was virtually created by the X-Files and used by several other series such as Supernatural, Buffy - The Vampire Slayer and Smallville, beyond this episode out of the main subject or mythological space invader 'X-Files and American government conspiracies and other countries showed that X-Files are not going to talk about his Mythological subjects and that along the X-Files they had isolated cases, besides presenting the Mutant Killer Immortal Eugene Tooms who is considered the best Monster of the Week X-Files, Eugene Tooms must kill people to feed on the livers of them to live well Always, so he can be to get through the entire stretch smaller holes and thus able to attack their victims, Mulder and Scully still face Eugene Tooms once again in great episode titled'''Tooms''' that same season .
  • Eugene victor Tooms the name says it all

- Together with "Ice" , "Beyond the sea" and "Tooms" this is the best episode of the first half of Season 1: damn scary, with an original, fascinating / disgusting mixture of human and monster. A very high benchmark for all other MOTW episodes to come.
    - It's also a hint towards how diverse the X-Files universe will be, and that the series will be able to surprise us with "fresh" stories again and again.
    - A lot depends on Doug Hutchinson as the guest star. His stare, yellow eyes and facial expression are extremely irritating. His role as Tooms is an unforgettable TV classic IMO.
    - Tooms is also one of the very few characters the agents sometimes refer to in later episodes. An extremely rare case of continuity.
    - Again we have a shift in the POV, Scully was central in the Pilot, then Mulder in "Deep Throat", now it's Scully again, mainly because of her connection to a**hole Colton. The negative tension between them adds even more "drama" to the story. Strange to see Scully's connections to the world outside in the early episodes (like in "Jersey Devil", too). Later on she doesn't seem to have such acquaintances anymore. But it's also nice that she again confirms her loyalty to Mulder at such an early stage.
    - There's this special type of music in the score here for the first time, I don't know how to describe it. It is typical for creepy or weird moments on the show, and sounds like a lot of pizzicato strings getting faster and higher. I think it's in the scene where Tooms disappears in the air shaft and turns the screw from inside. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? Anyway, it's great. :)
  • The only episode of "The X-Files" to make Channel 4's "100 Scariest Film and TV moments" countdown.... (it came 13th, between "Se7en" and "The Evil Dead")!

Probably the most important of all the early episodes of the X-Files. Yes, even more than "Ice" (although thats a slightly better show, for me personally). Firsty, it establishes that the show is not just going to be about aliens and conspiracys. And what a way to show it!!! I read that they had a really hard time making this episode because of problems with the director, but it really doesnt show at all. "Tooms" is a scary character, mainly because of the way in which he gets to his victims. No one is safe, no matter how secure you are locked away. Its certainly not perfect. Scullys Mulder hating former colleagues are very annoying, although they are really only potrayed this way to make Scully's decision to side with Mulder easier to believe. But everything else is just great. The lie detector scene, the ending with Tooms in his cell.... scary.
    The best thing is that he's brought back later in the season. Probably the best compliment you could pay this episode is by finding a random casual viewer and asking them to name an Xfiles villian.. and the chances are Tooms's name is the one that will come up
  • Right on the mark

The first real stand alone episode, or Monster of the Week depending on what you care to call it, sees Mulder and Scully dealing with a hibernatory mutant killer who feeds on human livers every 30 years. Oh, and he can squeeze through the tiniest of apertures. How ridiculous a premise does that sound on paper? No matter, this is handled in a tight and streamlined manner so we instantly bypass all our prejudices about a premise like that and tap into the underlying context of the piece. Namely that’s it’s very scary, and that we’re not safe in our own homes.

The interesting thing about this X File is that it is treated as a proper police procedural. The teaser shows us Tooms at work (although we never see him properly). The second killing is the first time we physically see for ourselves what a monster Tooms actually is, and ironically it’s a much less violent murder than the first. But in the meantime we have Mulder and Scully doing some solid detective work, particularly Mulder with his knowledge of 90 year old murder cases. The Tom Colton character is there to show us the conventional side of police investigating, the addition of the X Files team to show us that on a case like this, when all the proper angles have been exhausted, it’s time to look to the paranormal. Mulder’s belief system being borne out there to the letter.

Here we see a much more confident Scully, both as an agent (not bothered in the slightest about stepping on Colton’s toes) and as an actress (Anderson’s whole vocal pitch and body language shows that’s she’s relaxing into her role). The climax of the piece sees her in the midst of some action too, and although Mulder has to break the door down to rescue the damsel in distress, she at least has the presence of mind to cuff the murderer. And Duchovny too is already in the place where we want him to be. His initial encounter with Colton in which he basically takes the piss out of this straight-back agent is done with just the right amount of casualness. His comeback to Scully (“Do you think I’m spooky?”) also lets us see the first real glimpses of Duchovny’s greatest acting ability – his ease with humour.

“Squeeze” also gives us the chance to appreciate the capabilities of composer Mark Snow, largely for the first time. In “Pilot” and “Deep Throat” the underlying score was just that – underlying – but here it is more prominent and highly effective. Whether it’s the slither effect that Snow uses when Tooms is squeezing himself into some aperture, or the chilling repeated one note he employs at the end of the episode as the incarcerated killer starts building another nest in his cell, both of these show us that Snow too has found his feet with regards to the show in a relatively short period of time.

And of course we love the line about the bile, don’t we? Is there any other show other than “The X Files” which would incorporate bile as a prop? Probably not, and that’s why we love it.
  • X-Files proves, they are more then UFO's and aliens. If them ETs knew what lives on earth... they wouldnt want to colonize us!

This is an absolute classic... it has a lot of memorable dialogs and a unique, x-files-exclusive monster! Tooms... the name alone gives me the creeps... but this episode wasnt really about the paranormal... it was about Mulder and Scully, their relationchip, their loyality for each other, it was about Mulder being the geeky freek at the FBI. It was those elements that, combined, made the first season of the X-files that great!
    I think it was a great decision to make the first "monster of the week" a exclusive monster, espesially if it was that great like Tooms, and not a vampire, ghost or werewolf! This is not only a X-Files classic... but a classic in the whole horror-genre!
  • One of the best

This is the first episode I ever saw, and also one of the best. I really enjoyed it and it made me want to immediately add X-files to my Netflix queue in the morning, because it is entertaining, comprehensive, and exciting even to someone who has never seen the show. Scully is absolutely gorgeous in this episode for some reason. She's always gorgeous, but in this episode, she was abnormally stunning. But this is besides the point, because this is just another atribute in a nearly flawless episode. There is not a dull moment, and the story line flows smoothly. Plus, it makes sure to creep you out and look at vents every once in a while.
  • The X-Files second pilot . . .

The X-Files had the mytharc and the monsters of the week, two distinct episode types, and so it's almost like it had two pilots. This is the first MOTW, and it's amazing; I was actually afraid of the dark the night after I watched this, and that didn't happen with very many episodes. Chris Carter always says that the X-Files is as scary as it is real, and this episode is a perfect example because, while mutants may or may not exist, we all have ventilation shafts, and what may be coming through them in the dark is all left to the imagination . . . Also, Scully may get saved in this episode, but she puts up not only a good fight but a nearly successful fight before she does so. Hear that sound behind you? Its the sound of the screw turning on your vent. Better get out.
  • Is this what it takes to climb the ladder, Colton? Then I can't wait till you fall off and land on your ass.

One of Scully's friends from the Academy asks for her help on a series of murders that involve no clear point of entry and Scully and Mulder discover similar cases in the X-Files since 1903. Eventually, Scully's profile leads the FBI to a suspect named Eugene Victor Tooms. Eugene Tooms is a liver-eating mutant with the ability to squeeze himself into the smallest places and now is after Scully. Squeeze is a fascinating episode that blends horror with the procedural police drama and Doug Hutchison creates one of the most recognisable and scary villains of the series. It was the episode that hooked me to the show and remains one of my favorites.
  • A very scary episode!

I remember this episode well, the first time I ever watched The X-Files I snuck downstairs when it was past my bedtime and watched this episode. It gave me nightmares for weeks! Even watching it now it sends a chill down my spine, I think it's those eyes that creeps me out the most. The episode as a whole was very captivating and that scene at the end in Scully's apartment had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Overall I think that this was a very strong episode with a bad guy that could frighten even the hardest of people.
  • Very well done.

This episode seemed very well written and put together. The clues were presented in a well organazied fashion. This particular episode also had a plethera of people, other than Mulder and Scully so the viewer got to see other people's views on Mulder. This episode also featured an old detective that was pretty much on the same page as Mulder; I thought this was brillant as well because it helps to substatiate Mulders theory with something other than the fact that it can not be proven by science. Seeing how Scully works with other people other than Mulder, such as old Accademy acquatiences, was also a key componet in this episode. It was wonderful to see the diffrence between her and Mulder and her and others. In short, this was a well written episode, that contained character development, a good plot line, and exciting events. It was well worth watching.
  • Ooh, that Eugene Tooms! He'll come to no good!

First, let's get the nit-picky annoyance out of the way. I was always happy to take Eugene Tooms as a monster. He needs livers to survive, and morality doesn't come into it. That's a description that works for me. So why does he take trophies? He lives in a cocoon so why does he need pretty things? This may fit with the serial killer profile, but Mulder acknowledges this doesn't work as it's not about the thrill of breaking security? I felt this was the weak link of the plot, especially as it was necessary to draw attention to Scully's temporary necklace. But moving on...

Squeeze is a great episode. This is where the music and sound effects really come into gear. The sound of his joints lengthening is really sickening. And Toom's theme? Brilliant!

There's some wonderful moments of suspense. Like when we know Tooms is coming down the chimney but - phew - the fire is lit. Too late, he's behind you. Eek! On the other hand, it's quite clear Scully will be the next victim. This is a woman who should NEVER run a bath as it always leads to trouble. It's almost a shame Tooms didn't make more effort to escape from the handcuffs, which logically would only slow him down for a moment.

Tooms is so scary because he's generally under played. He seems to mild mannered and unassuming. But there's always an air of menace. X Files has taught me that if anyone gives you the creeps, you should run away very quickly. I lose a lot of friends that way, but I keep my liver intact.
  • The first monster of the week and one of all time creepiest

Squeeze was the first X-Files episode I ever saw and I was immediately hooked in the show. It scared the hell out of me but for some strange reason I couldn't change the channel. Needless to say that I didn't miss an episode since then. Eugene Tooms is one of the creepiest and scariest creatures/villains in The X-Files universe. He has the ability to squeeze into the smallest of spaces and he appears every thirty years to feed on human livers in order to survive for eternity. The episode is very well-written and directed, the actor who plays Tooms is absolutely amazing and Mulder and Scully's dynamic is strong even this early on the series.
    Squeeze is the perfect episode to get someone introduced to the beautiful world of The X-Files beside the Pilot. It captures the magic of the show perfectly.
  • The first MOTW

Probably one of the best episodes of this season, this is the first one about a mutant, the famous monster of the week. It's good to see Scully outside her work with Mulder. It's also good to see how she has to stand all her friends and her comments about her "Spooky" partner. What I like is that even when she's just getting to know Mulder, she seems to be upset and angry about it. But she's a professional and accepts to work with them, only to realize that Mulder may be right about his theories than her own friends.
    Eugene Tooms is creepy. His quiet and innocent personality makes you think he wouldn't hurt a fly, but it takes a profiler to uncover what lies beneath that look. The whole case is interesting. Can you imagine a serial killer that can hibernate for 30 years only to wake up, kill and hibernate again? I like how Mulder is very territorial this time and he focus all his energy in finding something to put Tooms in jail. We see for the first time a Mulder trying to save Scully from being killed and at some point this brings them a little bit more close.
    In the end, Tooms is caught and they find all his abnormalities. But who knows if the case is really closed.
    LG
  • Attack of the stretching monster!

This episode and a couple of others from the first season are the reason why I love this series. Although the whole plot is very bizarre and unreal, the way it is shown and portrayed makes you actually believe that this could have happenned. And that's what I love the most about this show. It makes mythological beings come to life in a real and possible way. This episode's mutant called Tooms is one of those monsters I'd like to just flush down the toilet. it is my personal opinion, but he is just disgusting.

Mulder is spot on, as usual.
    Scully is not such a downer this time. She actually helps Mulder get on the crime scenes.
  • The intro of Tooms

This episode kind of appalled me, Tooms was a creepy villian. Kind of makes you think twice, the guy can squeeze to fit into anything, and he's been alive for decades. That is just plain creepy to think about. It's an interesting addition to the series because it certainly is paranormal. Mulder is like fascinated with this suspect. He knows he's right but no one will believe him. And those longer finger prints...Whoa. And Tooms eyes when he sets his sights on a victim, that was creepy as well. This was a creepy episode to the series, but it is still one of the best of the series, I actually read the book they made about this episode before I actually watched the episode, and to me the book is pretty good, but when you see it as an episode it completely blows your mind.
  • If this doesnt get your heart pumping, what will?

This episode features Special Agent Fox Mulder and Dana Skully investigating bizarre murders that are committed without an entering being broken. Fox Mulder continues to be made fun of for his belief, and when he turned out to be right, I believe Skully believed more in the paranormal than she ever has before.

On the other hand, this episode featured one of Skullys old friends, who was trying to get Skully to quit the X-Files department and come to Violent Crimes. Skully considers this at first, but when she is surprised by what Mulder finds out, she decides to stay in the X-Files. Overall, this episode was very special and a great edition to the first season of The X-Files.
  • “So what is this, the Anti-Walton's?”

Squeeze is the first “monster of the week” episode. It is also the first time we see classic Scully, conflicted, yet, willing to defend her partner to the bitter end, no matter how crazy his ideas may be. This episodes also marks the beginning of Scully’s slow journey towards believing in extraordinary possibilities as well as the beginning of her eventual isolation from the rest of the Bureau and society. When this episode takes place Scully still has friends outside of Mulder with whom she can interact. Squeeze marks the beginning of Scully's journey from respected doctor/scientist to outsider or Mrs. Spooky. Her eventual isolation has begun, although it has not yet reached the point where Mulder is the center of her universe. The “monster” in this episode is terrifying in that he is, essentially, human--it is the human monsters we tend to fear the most. While the impression is given that Toom’s is something more than human, he still wears humanities skin and as such it is easy for him to live and work among us. Knowing that the monster could be anyone is very frightening. At this point in time, the directors had not quite mastered the iconic darkness of The X-Files, and as such the tone of the episode varies throughout and a sense of dread is not really achieved until the end of the episode. Squeeze is a solid X-Files episode and manages to be quite entertaining despite the continuing logistical working involving the formation of the two main characters.
  • The first non-UFO episode, and a memorably creepy hour of television.

The third episode of the series presents a good example of the "Night Stalker" model that Chris Carter wanted his show to be: a Friday night spookshow with a creepy monster and a fascinating mystery. Appropriately, this is also the episode that originated the opening credits shot of Mulder and Scully breaking into an apartment with their flashlights out: a classic, representative image of the series. The villain here is Eugene Tooms, who contorts his body to squeeze through tight spaces, consumes the livers of his victims, and builds nests to hibernate for decades until his next crime wave. Writers Glen Morgan and James Wong built their reputations on this episode, and soon became the go-to team for creepy X-Files stand-alone episodes. Typical of their style, the episode is witty and taut, and the villain was quickly brought back for "Tooms."
  • Bring on the monsters!!!

After the first two episodes concerning alien abductions comes this creepy monster-of-the-week story that concerns a liver-eating mutant named Eugene Tooms. I know this is highly regarded by many as classic X-Files, but I found this quite slow in places, and not as exciting as Deep Throat. Nevertheless, there are some creepy bits here, such as the opening shot of Tooms under the pavement, and there's also some great humour from Mulder and Scully.

Scully: Is this what it takes to climb the ladder, Colton?
    Colton: All the way to the top.
    Scully: Then I can't wait till you fall off and land on your ass.
CHILL