The X-Files

Squeeze

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 24, 1993 on FOX

• Eugene victor Tooms the name says it all

- Together with "Ice" , "Beyond the sea" and "Tooms" this is the best episode of the first half of Season 1: damn scary, with an original, fascinating / disgusting mixture of human and monster. A very high benchmark for all other MOTW episodes to come.
    - It's also a hint towards how diverse the X-Files universe will be, and that the series will be able to surprise us with "fresh" stories again and again.
    - A lot depends on Doug Hutchinson as the guest star. His stare, yellow eyes and facial expression are extremely irritating. His role as Tooms is an unforgettable TV classic IMO.
    - Tooms is also one of the very few characters the agents sometimes refer to in later episodes. An extremely rare case of continuity.
    - Again we have a shift in the POV, Scully was central in the Pilot, then Mulder in "Deep Throat", now it's Scully again, mainly because of her connection to a**hole Colton. The negative tension between them adds even more "drama" to the story. Strange to see Scully's connections to the world outside in the early episodes (like in "Jersey Devil", too). Later on she doesn't seem to have such acquaintances anymore. But it's also nice that she again confirms her loyalty to Mulder at such an early stage.
    - There's this special type of music in the score here for the first time, I don't know how to describe it. It is typical for creepy or weird moments on the show, and sounds like a lot of pizzicato strings getting faster and higher. I think it's in the scene where Tooms disappears in the air shaft and turns the screw from inside. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? Anyway, it's great. :)