The X-Files

Syzygy

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 26, 1996 on FOX

• Not a bad episode, but definitely suffered from a few obvious flaws

Okay, I liked the plot for this episode. Sure, it's not horribly original, but it was a fine idea for a filler episode nonetheless. I think it could have been done better. Every person in the town was being affected by the positions of the stars, their behavior becoming erratic and even aggressive--sure, fine, whatever (no pun intended); people behave bizarrely; Mulder and Scully fight constantly...a decent concept, but why were those two teenage girls the ONLY ones with powers, and why were those powers almost identical with the power often associated with witchcraft? I mean, X files could easily have pulled off any number of witch-based episodes, so couldn't they have done something a little more unique with the girls' powers, at least? Finally, my biggest pet peeve with this episode has got to be the two teenagers. I KNOW from experience no high school student talks the way they did...in fact, I think anyone who talked and behaved the way they around the other students would have been social outcasts, no matter how pretty they were. Finally, I really wish Scully and Mulder's bickering could have been resolved somehow. It would have been a little more satisfying for me if they had made up or at least confronted each other about their constant fighting.
    All this said, the episode was funny, and I certainly didn't hate it.