The X-Files

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jan 26, 1996 on FOX

• A rare planetary alignment leads to some shenanigans.

Whereas I found some of Darin Morgan's episodes to be hilarious and dark at the same time, I found this episode to be strange, confusing and too heavy on the funny. I can't deny, however, that the lines between Mulder and Scully remained awesome and gave the episode some level of heart. In a way, it reminded me of the episode "3" from Season 2, easily the worst episode of the show to date. Both of these episodes had Mulder acting in a way he normally wouldn't, and it made me both times realize that the writers sometimes lose track of what makes him such a compelling character.

But enough nitpicking from me: the episode was pretty fun. It was mostly about a planetary alignment that left everybody in the town acting differently than they normally would. People were irrational and were acting weird, especially Mulder and Scully, who seemed to be arguing about every little thing. Every time that Scully said "Sure. Fine. Whatever," I cracked up. And Mulder saying that he wanted to solve the mystery of the horny beast was just as funny as any sitcom on TV right now.

I suppose overall, it wasn't as bad as some previous episodes, but I was just bothered by the lack of explanation of things and the way the plot seemed to have more plot holes than any other movie or TV show I've seen recently. What in the world was that movie about? The one that kept playing on every channel? Beats me.