The X-Files

Teliko

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 18, 1996 on FOX

7.3
  • Teliko

Teliko was a superb episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing and it was cool that it dealt with African Folklore. The cast was great and played their roles very well. It was interesting to learn how Samuel Aboah survived along with the physiological motivations. There were some great character moments and scary scenes. I liked how every thing played out. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • I Was A Teenage African Albino Witchdoctor

Uh oh, Season Four takes a dump on only its third episode. This one is essentially a rewrite of "2Shy" from Season Three, only with black men instead of fat women, and with a synthetic world-music score. It's also a rehash of "Tooms," "Squeeze" and every other monster-eats-people-to-supplement-his-diet episode that Chris Carter seems to really, really like.

Yeah, I really didn't care for this episode.

Anyway, it appears that with Season Four, the dorky trenchcoats may have been ditched for good. Let's hope. Scully has lost her too-poofy, too-red hair in favor of a more sexy, streamlined look. She looks absolutely stunning. Production values, cinematography and direction are all top notch by now. Looking forward to a good ride in Season Four!
  • Mulder and Scully look for an African American man who is apparently stealing pigment.

Whoever said this episode was similar to the "Tooms" episode is right on the money. Both episodes have strange eerie men who can fit into tight places and kill their victims to get something from them. The difference between this episode and the one from Season 1 is that the original episode was actually interesting. This one felt like a re-hash with only a semi-interesting Mulder/Scully relationship going on.

After a man dies on a plane with all the pigment sucked from his body, Mulder and Scully figure out (after about thirty minutes of questioning and chasing after dead people) that it seems the man is the result of some African folk tale where they visit you at night and steal the pigment from your skin. There's some other supposedly shocking information, like the fact he doesn't have a pituitary gland, but I feel like the episode doesn't make us care enough about the outcome or the victims. We get the same bureaucratic men and women who get in the way of Mulder and Scully until they die. Every single time.

Definitely not one of the best episodes of X-Files.. usually, I'm intrigued by the stand-alone plots, but the last couple have been disappointing.
  • Mulder and Scully find themselves chasing after a "Tooms"-like monster, who is loosely taken from an African folktale. The Teliko is attacking African American men and stealing their pigmentation in order to survive.

In many respects this feels like a monster-of-the-week 'filler' episode that is trying to be taken seriously. It has no real ties to the show's vast government-military-industrial complex conspiracy and does not offer much in the way of character development for the show's stars. The monster itself is not terribly too creative and seems to harken back to previous monsters-of-the-week such as Tooms. Yes, the episode does make some feeble attempts to deal with the experience of West African immigrants and Scully, typing up her report, does end the episode with a bland criticism of ignorance and prejudice. Their is certainly nothing wrong with the series tackling such social issues, but in this case they seem to be treated as a last minute after thought or the remains of an earlier draft of the script. The X-Files series was certainly capable of dealing with ethical questions, social issues and injustices within the context of speculative fiction, but this episode's efforts to deal with prejudice and immigration are too bland and superficial to raise the overall quality of this episode.
  • A bit dull

7.6
    This episode's storyline could be great, but it just fails to get there. The biological anomaly perspective is always interesting, and even in this episode it is. The paranormal abilities of Samuel Aboah, though, take this interesting point away and suck the life out of it. Also the albino makeovers look a bit weird, chalk over the actor's skin, blah. Couldn't they find real albino actors?

Mulder asking for Marita Covarrubias's help was a delight, and it would have been nice to see Mulder working with her more, maybe go overseas or something with her help, though the help she gave with the burkina fasoan embassy was almost enough.
  • Old idea and flawed execution, but it still has a few redeeming points.

Both times I've sat down to watch this episode, I've fallen asleep. Of course, both times there were extenuating circumstances (trans-atlantic flights really get you down), but I think if I had really wanted to, I would have been able to keep myself awake. But I didn't really want to.

Teliko is a rather meh episode. It has its moments, of course (the scene between Mulder and Pendrell is quite funny), but overall it isn't a standout. It probably would have been a lot more interesting if Squeeze and Tooms hadn't already been made. Maybe if Squeeze and Tooms hadn't been better.

Carter and his cronies seem to be pretty hooked on the idea of genetic abnormalities that create monsters who must kill to survive, actually. But Squeeze was better done, and a lot scarier. Samuel Aboah, in all his silence, somehow inspires more sympathy in me than Tooms did, but not enough that he seems worthy of the lives he's taking. But it is the idea of bringing in an African folk tale is actually what makes this episode interesting to me. I think the scene where Mulder hears the story of the African official is actually one of the better scenes in the episode.

Whatever they could have done to improve it, they had already done it. Poor Teliko was rather destined to be sub-par.
  • Tooms but Black

“Telinko” is a strange one. Basically, its “Squeeze” and “Tooms” all over again with a black dude. There’s this black dude going round killing other black guys by shooting them with a dart. The dart is poisoned and turns them albino. There’s no reason for him to kill other black people but for some reason that’s how the episode goes. There’s a lot of guess work here to. But anyhow this is a good interesting episode and it deserves to be seen. 8 out of 10 . I also though this episode was funny as it reminded me of Michael Jackson. But apart from that Yeah.
  • The one with the Micheal Jackson effect

'Teliko’ was another big success that turned out to be terrifying and (to me) much more effective than ‘Squeeze’ which seemed to have the same creep factor.

It’s always nice when The X-files focused on a cloture, this time it was the Africans where a man is being transport on the airplane but is attacked and killed, when the stewardess finds him she sees a guy terrified and completely white.

The guy who did the murders was really creepy, the way he talked and moved. Sadly we never really got to know what the hell it was about and why he killed and why he turned white.

So a guy is killing African men and leaving them all bleached (Michael Jackson’s style) where he makes his victims all asleep and then puts something into them.

It must be horrible to be one of his victims, the poor guy who was taken to his house suffered specially because he almost got saved.

When the killer tried to kill his lawyer after escaping from the FBI he’s followed by Mulder and Scully, he does the same to Muldr but Scully saves Mulder and shoots the Teliko guy.

It was a very interesting episode that went into the African cloture, it was also very well acted and just creepafying and had me on the edge of the seat.

Very successful episode and extremely underrated.