The X-Files

Terma (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 01, 1996 on FOX

• Terma

Terma was a superbly entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of action, drama and intrigue. The story was well written, it played out nicely and the characters had some great development. It was awesome watching Mulder uncover more of the Truth as Scully and Skinner defended him to the best of their ability. Krycek played an interesting role in the events of this episode. I liked how every thing played out. I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!
  • "These guys, they make it all up as they go along."--Alex Krycek. (I'm beginning to think so too Ratboy)

After the intense setup of "Tunguska", "Terma" was a bit of a letdown. Following a fast-paced first act in which Indiana Mulder escapes from a Russian gulag, hijacks a truck, and wrecks it, he miraculously smuggles himself back to Washington. I actually wondered if we'd dropped a reel of film somewhere when Mulder walked into the courtroom. The last act of "Terma" felt rushed: the dizzying travel from Florida to New York City to North Dakota to Canada and back to DC in the space of a few minutes gave me motion sickness. And how is one old Russian man in black able to go wherever he wishes, even into the heart of the Well- Manicured Man's stronghold?

The now-revealed background of Ratboy, and his fate, are the most shocking revelations I've seen all year on The X-Files. I've seen some comments on the "violence" of the first half of this story, where everyone short of Dana Scully takes a punch at Alex Krycek. I thought it was a hilarious self-parody, and closer to the "violence" of the Three Stooges than to Clint Eastwood. Unfortunately, Krycek's ultimate fate at the hands of the one-armed men turned this comic relief on its head. I was horrified at Ratboy's impromptu. Applause to Nic Lea for a fine and harrowing performance that had me wondering from moment to moment just how deep Krycek's plans were laid. Right now I would be more afraid of Krycek than the Cigarette-Smoking Man, if I were Mulder.

The scenes with Mulder and Krycek in the gulag were as stark and bleak as anything out of Solzhenitsyn, and the scene where Mulder is reduced to one of a long gray line of men was rendered almost in black and white, a high-contrast take on a twentieth century hell. The show is always a study in stark opposites: the contrast between Scully's clean, brightly lit cell and Mulder's medieval dungeon, the gritty realism of Mulder digging under a fence with his fingernails versus the ultra-sterile environment of the exobiology lab.

The first half-hour of "Tunguska" was tense, well- paced, and pretty conventional. But the last half hour of "Terma" was an expressionistic montage of quick cuts, circling cameras, allusion and self-reference. No one who missed "Piper Maru" or "Apocrypha" will understand the significance of an oilwell head or a refinery. So much of what the audience understands must come from a special language developed over seventy episodes, that newcomers, and many long-time viewers, will be left bewildered.

• Pretty intense episode

Poor Mulder. What happened to him in this episode will finally make him realize that Krycek is definitely not to be trusted? I hope so. He sure was lucky to get away alive... after what he had done.

In the meantime, Scully is struggling to buy more time. I just loved it when she is held in contempt for not telling where Mulder was. And one of the best scenes in the season is when Mulder appears like a hero and then hugs Scully with such desperation and eagerness that states the wonderful relationship that was in its early stages and became a very important part in the development of the show.

Black cancer storyline is still there, not solved; Cancer Man is doing what he does best and there are more questions than answers.
  • meah!

i have to say this hasnt been my favorite story line of the series, so the second part of it was gonna get on my nevres a bit. so anyways, old russian men, one arm bandits, mulders amazing escape, and a whole load more of stuff goes on. this episode has lots of arm-less fun- sorry bout that i was in a cheesy mood.but anyhow.. it picks up from last episode - tungunska. and yeah.. i thought it was a just another above average episode, and i know lots of fans will probably disagree, but this just want the episode for me.
  • Mulder escapes the prison camp while Scully tries to defend her friend

I agree with a couple of the people below me who said in their reviews that the second part of these two part episodes are lackluster compared to the first part. I suppose, in some cases, it's inevitable that the second part won't live up to the part before it.. there are plenty of exceptions, but this isn't one of them. For one, we're given a lot of questions but not a whole lot of answers, a problem that plagues a lot of the myth episodes of X-Files. I find that type of story the most interesting yet they're the most problematic at the same time. If there was a way to give us some answers without revealing the whole thing, it would be great.

However, I did love everything involving Mulder escaping. This "black cancer" stuff, the alien bacteria (I'm assuming), has been around since Season 3, so we already know how bad it is.. and the fact that the Russians and American scientists are testing innocents with it is crazy. I'm interested to see how the Cancer Man, along with his little friend that has a farm, connects to all of this. So far, we've only been given the most vague of explanations, and it's quite obvious that Mulder's dad, Cancer Man and the other government officials are all involved much deeper than has been explained so far.

Everything with Scully was less interesting though. We already know that this Senate hearing wants Mulder and showing that same scene two times in two episodes was pointless and a waste of space. In fact, nothing really of note happens when she's by herself. I do like how Krycek is becoming that villain in a TV show that never dies, regardless of what happens to him/her.

I'm looking forward to the next myth episode and hoping it concludes better than this one.
  • I respectfully decline to answer that question

The second of these two-part mytharc episodes finds Mulder imprisoned in Tunguska, Siberia where he becomes a test subject for the experiments the Russians perform in order to develop a vaccine to the black cancer. There he learns that Krycek is working with the men responsible and that everything has been a setup from the beginning. Meanwhile Scully is called to a Senate hearing and she's put in custody after she declines to give any answers about Mulder's whereabouts.

Despite some plot holes – such as why the injections with the vaccine can only be done in the left arm – Terma is an important part to the mythology of the show as it provides us with few pieces of the puzzle which are crucial later in the series like for instance that Americans scientists are also trying to find a cure to the black oil virus.
    But what I love the most in this episode is how Scully stands by Mulder's side and refuses to reveal her partner's location – it sums up their relationship perfectly: Mulder is always willing to go anywhere to find the truth and Scully is always there to cover him up.
  • The Return Of The One-Armed Man

As is often the case with the two-parters in this series, this episode doesn't quite live up to the promise of its predecessor, "Tunguska." There is more action and fewer revelations in this episode. The big revelation here is that American scientists are conducting their own experiments with the Black Cancer, just as the Russians are doing in Tunguska. Only the Americans are using folks in a nursing home as their test subjects! Poor grandma.

The Senate hearing sequences were cheesy, undramatic and woodenly performed. They always seem to kill whatever dramatic tension has developed to that point.

It was utterly and completely laughable that a group of rebels outside the Tunguska prison would all go "Bruce Campbell," cutting their left arms off in an effort to avoid being used as test subjects. Couldn't the Russians use their right arms for the injections? Or a leg or any other fleshy area of the body? Ridiculous, but I guess the writers needed some reason to make Krycek more like Darth Vader.

Anyway, despite some silliness, this is still an important part of the Myth arc and a worthy episode.
  • The one where Mulder escapes

The second part of this fantastic arc.
    Though ‘Terma’ isn’t as good as ‘Tunguska’ it’s still pretty amazing.

The episode continues Mulder being poisoned. The man who’s next to him tells him more about what’s going on and then gives Mulder a knife who’s so desperately waiting to kill Krycek.

SO Mulder grabs his chance, knocks Krycek out and goes away in a truck. The creepy men follow them and then Mulder lets the truck fall out of somewhere after Krycek already jumping out. Mulder escapes that way and hides under the plants.

Meanwhile Scully has to answer to the court about Mulder’s whereabouts, she doesn’t want to say anything and doesn’t believe they only want to know that. She is put into jail for custody.

Meanwhile there is a murderer going around killing people, he kills a woman who was sleeping with the WMM and the scientist by putting an injection into him.

Anyway, when Mulder is caught by a Russian man who brings him to a house, they want to help him escape while Krycek is caught by others and then they cut something off of his.

The entire episode was a little confusing because the audience didn’t really get answers, only questions. Krycek appears without an arm at the end of the episode and nobody knows why?

Anyway, eventually Mulder goes to a place and makes the oil explode, Scully is grabbed by the man who has been murdering people who were experimented on with the oil and leaves Scully free because he doesn’t have any interest in her.

This episode was very cool, but I disliked the fact that nothing got answered and it wasn’t as good as ’Tunguska’ either. I was glad to see Krycek getting stabbed, even though I like him. He deserved some pain for now.

• The end of the two parter which in the end answers nothing to the conspiracy.

Mulder's stuck in a russian death camp with the treacherous Alex Krychek and Scullys left to explain the whereabouts of Mulder.A mysterious man has been asked to do a favour for the Russians and he exposes the tests done by the Americans to find a vaccine for the black cancer. You are led to believe that Krychek has been caught in this setup yet he was the one who set it up after finding about the inaculation and telling the russians.

Apart from the return of the excellent Krychek this episode is pretty predictable and further confuses the whole syndicate/black oil story line.When you look back at all the black oil episodes this one seems the most irrelevant and pointless of them all as Piper Maru/Apocrophya was the beginning of the oil and the fifth season episodes Patient X/The Red and the Black showed the race for the vaccine and how everyone was wanting it.

Still this episode is worth at least a viewing as it is 40 minutes of action but dont suspect to learn anything new or extrodinary from it.