The X-Files

The Calusari

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 14, 1995 on FOX

7.9
  • Mulder and Scully investigate when a poltergeist appears to have been involved in the death of a two-year-old boy. As the investigation continues, it is revealed that the poltergeist may be the deceased twin of the two-year-old's older brother.

Okay, there are two big problems with this episode for me: First, the lore behind it is mostly made up and manipulated, called "Romanian" but obviously little more than an amalgam of American fears and stereotypes. Second--Mulder and Scully have seen a lot of weir supernatural stuff by this time. They've seen miracles, they've seen the work of Satan, they've seen voodoo, they've seen reincarnation, they've seen ghosts, they've seen physic/spiritual connections between twins or family members (Roland, Aubrey). How is they never, ever stop to *think* about all this? About the nature of their universe? This episode was just the straw that broke the camels back for me. Another supernatural excursion, another wrinkle in the nature of their very reality revealed, and all they can do is write case files and stare off into space. You'd think it was a bigger deal. Obviously at this point in the series the producers were merely exploiting sensationalist moments from various religions, with no regard for what kind of universe they made for their show and their characters, and with no regard for the religions themselves. I hate admitting that my favorite show has an episode that deserves such a low score, but it's the truth.