The X-Files

The Calusari

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 14, 1995 on FOX

7.9
  • Mulder and Scully investigate the mysterious death of a little child

For many, this might be an enjoyable enough episode of X-Files, but for me, it was just another one of the same old cases. Maybe I'm just watching the show ten years too late, but I feel as if I see these sort of cases and episodes everywhere, so it felt a little stale for me.

Basically, a little boy is killed after chasing a balloon in front of an amusement park ride, but Mulder notices that there seemed to be a force pulling the balloon and luring the child in, a force that can't be seen on the camera. They look into the family and learn that the grandmother of the family is into some strange voodoo-type stuff, a part of the group (I believe) called the Calusari. I can't presume to know a single thing about the group, but it seemed to be more of the same strange cult stuff we've seen in other better episodes of the show.

There were still some good jumpy moments, and the idea of the child doing this (even if it was simply the twin brother who had died) reminded me of other shows and movies that involve children who are insane. It was an effective enough episode, but nothing to write home about.