The X-Files

The Erlenmeyer Flask

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 13, 1994 on FOX

• When you walk into that room, nothing sacred will hold.

A five-tool episode: Action, conspiracy, acting, science and suspense. A perfect way to end season 1 and build mythological hype for upcoming seasons. Deep Throat's death was one of the most memorable scenes of the entire series.
  • in my opinion

One of the best tv episodes ever. We get to learn so much aboutthe truth, about Experiments done on humans without Our knowledge and so on a dnso on, wish this was fiction. But this is scarily real, even today. We say good bye to one of the greatest characters in tv history. And finally Mulder is so Close that they shut him Down . And we get to see what they really are hiding in Pentagon.
  • groups within groups...

welcome to the mythos.
  • Alien DNA being put in human test subjects

The first X file season finale was a fantastic end to the season and it starts when a fugitive escapes the police and already you could tell that he wasn't normal after he was shot and hit with a stun gun.Then deep throat contacts Mulder and tells him about what has happened and that he is onto something big but Mulder can't quite figure out what it is.The answers they was looking for is the doctor who owned the car that the fugitive was driving.The doctor had something called purity control to create alien/human hybrids.When Mulder found the subjects the government was using they would try to cover it up when they destroy the subjects and kill the fugitive and the blood did something to Mulder and the government kidnapped Mulder.This then caused an exchange that caused Deep Throat to be shot and killed by a member of the government who had been seen throughout the episode.When Deep Throat died this meant that Mulder's best help to uncover the truth was gone as he has helped them so much throughout the season.Even worse after that the X files had been shut down.The alien used to trade Mulder was put into the pentagon by the mysterious smoking man.This was also the first episode not to say the truth is out there in the opening credits because it said Trust no one which was Deep Throats last words.This has left lots of questions for season 2 and I just can't wait for it.
  • The Erlenmeyer Flask

PERFECT! Finally came the long awaited "season finale" of the first season of one of television's most brilliant of all time, and came full of scientific theories, conspiracy and a lot of sci-fi thriller to chew nails and thinking brain. The villainy this time is on account of the secret forces of government, able to kill anyone or distort any facts so that your interests are kept secure. There are quotes about the famous "Human Genome Project," one of the most coveted project of mapping human genes, there are unexplained disappearances and deaths "accidental," is the best that the series can provide in all its magnitude. Theories are built very well placed here, revealing the government experiment in cells of a tissue to catch alien (do not know how or when it was obtained), with two new nitrogenous bases beyond the four unique in nature and yet possessing chloroplasts and other organelles and deploy in humans, genes whose change and mutate into something so unknown and evolved than current technology would not be able to handle. Mulder and Scully, in complete vulnerability, are highly monitored and controlled indirectly, making them the proof and evidence, and letting loose more questions in the air handling. This does not mean that Scully had his first contact with the alien race and Deep Throat, who before being killed by an undercover agent, whispers the famous phrase "trust no one." All the characters are great, the plot expands in a conspiracy and frightening pace, finally everything is so clean, so that ended up being the best episode since the beginning of the season.
  • The Erlenmeyer Flask

The Erlenmeyer Flask was a perfect episode and season one finale of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of character and plot development significant to the entire series. It was awesome seeing the episode begin with a high speed chase and a little mystery. I loved how all the best elements of the show were pulled together to create a very entertaining story. I loved watching Scully find the fetus. This was definitely the best episode so far and I certainly look forward to watching what happens next season!!!!!!!!!
  • "Mulder, I'm warning you. If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.". An immortal line from Scully in this season 1 finale. At last we have Chris Carter's personal philosophy spelled out for us literally in the tagline: it's a cold world out there, one where enemies wear a friendly face and even a friend can be suspect.

"The Erlenmeyer Flask" opens with a car chase straight out of "Bullitt", follows with police beating a suspect a la Rodney King, and includes such ripped-from-the-headlines story elements as the Human Genome project, and toxic blood overpowering a paramedical team. Chris Carter mixes elements from "Bladerunner", " The Fugitive", and "Apocalypse Now" to draw a dark and forbidding picture as the first season of The X-Files comes to an end. Unfortunately, the end result is sometimes as confusing as it is delicious.

A waterfront car chase ends with a suspect being shot right before he leaps off a pier into the harbor, leaving traces of green blood behind. Mulder is awakened that night by Deep Throat (Jerry Hardin), who tells him only that Mulder should look into it. Mulder and Scully are left to bumble around awhile trying to figure out what, if anything, they are supposed to be searching for. The murder of a research scientist finally lands them a real clue when Mulder stumbles across an Erlenmeyer flask labeled Purity Control. She and the research microbiologist whose help she enlists are stunned to find themselves looking at cloned viruses containing what appear to be DNA sequences which include a fifth and sixth base pair. The microbiologist tells Scully that such material, "by definition, would have to be extraterrestrial." At last, Dana Scully holds concrete evidence for the existence of extraterrestrial life in her hands.

At this point, one would expect Mulder to be more than a little interested in this discovery, but instead he is tracking down the fugitive Dr. Secare from the first act. Why Mulder would be pursuing a human being when Scully has the proof in her hands he's been looking for escapes me, but he doggedly pursues the human fugitive, on a trail which leads him to a warehouse full of DNA research tanks and their human occupants. We discover that the fugitive used to be in one of these tanks when Deep Throat finally appears to Explain It All To Mulder and Scully and urge them to put together the evidence which will expose this experiment in alien/human hybridization. Of course, he waits until the tanks are taken away by the secret "black ops" organization he has somehow failed to warn Mulder about: thus Mulder must endanger his life by searching further for Dr. Secare, and Scully must go back to the lab to secure evidence she didn't know was in jeopardy.

If it seems I am a little down on Deep Throat, there's a reason. There are some wonderful story elements in this episode, important pieces of the puzzle Mulder has been working on for years. This episode is clearly intended to be a seminal story, one from which many other storylines will branch. All the elements are here, the images are right, and there is a certain (erratic) flow to the story line. Some of the elements are too pat, too convenient: Mulder's discovery of the most crucial clue, the Purity Control flask, being the most obvious. But ultimately, everything lurches along because Deep Throat is playing puppet master not only with Mulder and Scully, but with us. I was ready to shoot Deep Throat myself by the second act. His cryptic clues and elusive hints were clearly designed to mislead and tease the audience, not to inform Mulder. There is no reason for him to be so ambiguous, so mysterious. Scully's anger at Deep Throat "yanking your chain", as she tells Mulder, started echoes in my own head. At some point the man has to step forward and speak plainly, but when he finally gets around to it, it is too late. The evidence is gone and the fugitive is in hiding. By now matters are so far deteriorated that Mulder is taken hostage and Scully must acquire and then give away the only solid evidence she has ever held--an actual alien fetus.

We get a strong, exceptionally well done Dana Scully in this episode, one who works as hard as Mulder, in her own field, to solve the mystery. Her growing fear and astonishment as her research uncovers the grotesque beauties of alien-DNA hybrid cells reflects the challenge to her world view that Dana Scully is undergoing, a challenge she meets with proper humility. One wonders if Mulder would ever tell Scully that his stubborn adherence to a particular tenet of faith may possibly have been flawed, as she does in Act Three. As it is, I was hoping to see more of her reaction to the discovery of the alien fetus; even after she had to trade it for Mulder's life, she would remember having found it, seen it, held it in her hands. What would her reaction be to this tremendous discovery? Surely she would be shaken to her core, but we get no hint of her response. Her subsequent behavior would seem to indicate a substantial memory loss on her part. Still, her concern for Mulder, her forthright courage in infiltrating a top secret installation to steal his ransom, and her outspoken distrust of Deep Throat give Dana Scully more depth and power in this episode than we will see again for a while. It is a wonderful characterization, as it usually is when Carter writes the script.

The visual beauty of this episode, due to cinematographer John Bartley's magical use of muted color and shadow, makes this a dark feast for the eyes. The indelible image of the men at the clandestine lab at 1616 Pandora Street, sleeping in their green amniotic fluid like grown fetuses awaiting rebirth, is worth the rest of the entire episode. But the gritty realism of the opening car chase, the darkness that makes Mulder's own front yard a menace as he speaks with Deep Throat, and the exotic beauty of the alien DNA cells on the computer screen, take the viewer into a world of surreal if serene imagery that plays with our heads far more effectively than the sometimes contradictory dialogue. And Mark Snow's music is given even more of a role than usual: there are two minutes in Act Four, when Scully discovers the alien fetus, where there is no dialogue at all, only Snow's evocative and compelling score to give an otherwise mundane discovery scene suspense and terror. I must mention the wonderful scene at the end of the episode, where Mulder calls Scully and tells her the X-Files are closed. His voice choked with unshed tears and anger, Duchovny gives us a Mulder who has been shocked out of his customary cool by this blow. It was totally human and believable.

There are some marvelous minor touches here. We finally get to hear the voice of the elusive Danny, Mulder's inside informant in the Bureau. The number 1056 crops up once again on a key, reminding us of Chris Carter's birthday (October, 1956). Mulder dials up Danny by punching out "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the telephone. Of course, classical mythology students will recognize references to the myth of Pandora's box and the Promethean myth (Zeus Storage) as Scully finds concrete proof not only of extraterrestrial life but of a research project tampering with the stuff of life itself.

The death of Deep Throat was a surprise, but doesn't compare with the closing of The X-Files, a truly risky move on Carter's part. The constituent parts of this episode are stunning in many ways, advancing the mythos of the X-Files significantly. The imagery is classic X-Files, setting new standards for a show already miles beyond standard TV fare. Intelligent, well-written, and thoughtful, it nevertheless has too many seams showing and too weak a beginning to warrant a perfect score.

• Season finale

The Erlenmeyer Flask:

*Note:
    I have seen this episode about six times.

High-speed chase! Woo!
    Green blood?
    Oh, "Trust No One" in the opening.

Animal testing bites.
    Scully's doubt of Deep Throat is rubbing off on Mulder.
    Obi-Wan-Kinobe!

"Working late tonight, doctor?" Is it just me, or did that dude sound like he was trying to be sexy?
    *shrug*
    Guess not.

Green blood dude not dead! Ah! How titillating!
    "...bungee jumping with medical gauze wrapped around his neck." [[laugh]]
    "If this is monkey pee, you're on your own."
    Danny!

It burns! It burns!
    *reached new level of tired*

Naked people. Looks uncomfortable.

Scully admitting she's wrong, wow, admirable.

Nice job protecting him, Mulder.
    "I'm a popular guy."

Always loved the scene with Scully going in to see the baby alien.

Scully looks scared. The exchange between her and Deep Throat is great.

Deepy is shot! No!! NO!!!

"Trust no one."

11:21
    Mulder is calling late.

Old smokey in that Pentagon chamber. Love the shot!
    He's a veddy bad man!

10/10
  • The cusp between trust no one and deny everything.

When Deep Throat points out a news story about a fugitive who apparently drowned, Mulder and Scully cannot see what makes the case special but they follow it up anyway. With Deep Throat's insistence, they discover evidence of secret government project code-named Purity Control, which uses human test subjects and infects them with extraterrestrial DNA. However, the evidence and everyone who has seen it is quickly being eliminated.
    This is the epp with the little frozen alien (man/ woman)when we first learn how dangerous alien blood is. Mulder finds out thattrust no one may include deep throat when he is lied to.
  • Trust no one...(except Deep Throat)

This episode changed many things about the X-files (in a good way) - we finally see a real alien body, proof is shown to Scully and now she must believe. I'm also very sad about Deep Throat - I was hoping that he will survive, but he sacrificed himself to save Mulder and let their work continue. The ending was shocking - they are shutting down the X-files! I wonder how that turns out... Now when many of the doubts are gone I'm looking forward to at least some victories of Mulder and Scully, because the government and Cigarette Smoking Man are really starting to annoy me.
  • The best way to end a season

This is a fine example of what a season finale should be. It leaves you wondering about the future of the agents, of their quest for the truth and about the mysterious conspiracy that is being created around Mulder and Scully.
    Mulder and Scully are given clues to a case that may be the biggest case in Mulder's career in which he may find that evidence he's always wanted to show, to make everyone, if not the world, believe. But I think both Mulder and Deep Throat made mistakes that had the consequences we all know. Mulder got too greedy and it was understandable but he wasn't careful. Scully is as always, skeptical and reluctant to help Mulder at the beginning and she was right, they had nothing, but Mulder's excellent investigating skills lead them to more evidence. How shocked was Scully, when she was given the results on the so-called "monkey pee". And she changes her mind and lets Mulder know. And when Mulder is taken, she is shown probably the best piece of evidence of extraterrestrial life, even though it was for a short time, because she has to use it to get her partner back. And she finally got to meet the mysterious informant.
    I liked the whole plot and how many things were addressed in the end. I don't think the writers were very convinced in the beginning with Gillian's pregnancy but I'm sure they were surprised with the results later on in Season 2, with Scully's abduction and the birth of the alien mythology.
    Mulder's hunch came true: the X-files are closed and he's separated from Scully. And it just gets better than this.
  • great season finale

The teaser of this episode was awesome.But what followed was even better. Mulder and Scully get deeper than ever into the conspiracy surrounding them. We get to see some tests involving alien DNA on human subjects and an alien baby frozen on liquid nitrogen. The episode was really good and one of my personal favorites from season one. I love the final scene, its mystical...pure X-Files. We see Deep Throat get killed, shame, he was such a good character. For the first time we hear " Trust no one" which became a catchphrase later on.

Overall a great final, The second season opener "Little Green Men" was just as good
  • The season 1 final...

What a great episode this was. I really enjoyed most of the story too it. Deep Throat gives Mulder and Scully a pointless lead to follow, but they become fustrated when they do not get anywhere fast. Before long Deep Throat reveals to Mulder and Scully that the government have been playing around with human and alien DNA. Anyway Mulder finds five bodies under water that are breaving, but when he gets Sully to come and see them they are gone. Mulder gets kidnapped and Deep Throat suggests a traid. It goes ahead and Deep Throat is killed but Mulder gets returned safely. Nearly two weeks pass and Mulder rings Scully's phone and tells her they are shutting down the X Files for good... Wow this episode was really well written by Chris Carter this really is the first episode where we are introdcued to the green blooded aliens. From here on in X Files becomes unmisable. I loved this final. Season 1 overall was very good.
  • A jaw-dropper

Wow, this episode has got it all. If we had been building up to such an epic unveiling of the finale of the first season, then the previous 2 episodes certainly gave no indication of it, such was their mundanity. But with “The Erlenmeyer Flask” everything about “The X Files” comes fizzing back into life, and some new precedents are set. One of these is finding a new dynamic for the agents to work in. By separating them. Up to now, mostly, the agents were mainly inseparable, and if they did go off and do something individually, it was usually only to accompany a suspect to a hospital, or for Mulder to pull one of his disappearing stunts and leave Scully stewing somewhere. Here though each is pursuing a different tack to the case, each one proving to be deeply relevant. So while Mulder makes his discovery of the suspended bodies in the Zeus warehouse, Scully is uncovering information of almost cataclysmic importance in the research lab. Dramatically it ups the ante for both characters, whilst giving the audience twice as much to chew on. Which is where another new precedent emerges – that of the season ender shock revelations. “The X Files” garners most of its success from springing surprises on its viewers. Just think of the first time you saw the maggot crawling under someone’s skin in “Ice”, or Eugene Victor Tooms bursting out of his bile nest. But with a season ender obviously there’s more to play for. The need for a cliffhanger is much more imperative, but Carter goes a lot further than that. This episode is littered with bolts out of the blue that quite literally make you gasp. I’m not just thinking here of Mulder’s encounter in the Zeus warehouse or Scully’s discovery of 2 brand new branches of DNA that can only be extra-terrestrial in origin. There are others too. What about the revelation in itself that a human-alien hybrid exists in the first place, never mind the fact that he can breathe underwater and that his green blood is highly toxic? Then there’s Mulder being exposed to that poisonous emission. And the fact that virtually all of the subsidiary characters are systematically wiped out. Which leads me to the biggie – the murder of Deep Throat. That such an important secondary character should be gunned down and killed sends shockwaves throughout the entire episode, and indeed the ones that are to follow. Unreliable as Deep Throat has slowly but surely proven himself to be, he nevertheless is an engaging presence. That Carter should have him killed belies a level of ruthlessness that’s on a par with that shown by the mysterious black ops government agents at work here too. It proves that all bets are off, no one is safe, not even our 2 leads, and that ultimately we should trust no one. Particularly Chris Carter. The importance of Deep Throat’s demise is telegraphed though, if you care to read the signs. The opening mantra “The truth is out there” has been replaced for the first time with his dying words, and it causes a ripple of excitement and curiosity when we see that one of our sacred cows (the opening credits) has been subtly messed with. And what of our intrepid agents themselves? Mulder is on one of his driven quests and is actually quite churlish and more than a little patronising to his partner. At one point she is delivering some groundbreaking information to him about the bacteria results, and he dismisses it with “Keep up the good work, Scully”. But that’s typical of Mulder. He’s a selfishly driven man. The fact that Scully was relaying the information to him just at the point that he knew he was going to be making a groundbreaking discovery of his own meant that his interest was focussed on what he was doing, not her work. Having said that, we do have proof that he does occasionally listen to Scully when he berates Deep Throat about giving him so little information to work with, something she had previously and angrily pointed out. Scully throughout all this is facing some big stuff that fundamentally rock her foundations. The whole revelation of what was in the Purity Control flask runs counter to all that she holds dear, and she’s big enough to admit as such. When she tells Mulder that he was right and that her whole belief system has been called into question, this is quite a confession from such a buttoned-up, sensible individual. But Scully is probably the most honest character in the X Files universe, and if something is troubling her, or changing her, she’s big enough to acknowledge that.

She’s also quite a fearless gal. When answers are required, and once she gets past her initial problem with breaking the law, Scully will really stick herself out on a limb to get to the truth. The whole nailbiting sequence as she makes her way through the chemical labs to the Erlenmeyer flask itself shows her tenacity. This then is our introduction to the show’s mythology. Government subterfuge is a subject that is frequently covered in Season One, though with less ruthlessness. In this episode the building blocks of a bigger picture are being laid. Whether it was intentional or not is debatable. I’m inclined to think not as there was some question over whether the show would be renewed, and it would take Gillian Anderson’s just starting to burgeon pregnancy to push the show into some new and startlingly dramatic directions. Regardless, it’s a seam that lends itself to some exciting work, and creates a degree of urgency and danger that is missing in some of the more laborious standalone episodes.

Oh, and then there’s the small matter of the X Files being shut down. Of course historically this proves not to be the case, but coming at the end of a season which has been relatively bumpy, the closing of the X Files (and the reiterating of the last shot with the Cigarette Smoking Man logging some crucial evidence in a Pentagon vault where it can be forgotten) has a deep resonance. We’ve come far enough now to care what happens to our 2 protagonists. And Carter ends the season by showing that they’re really up against it now. It’s a tantalising prospect.

10/10
  • So... Flipping... Good...

Oh the Conspiracy, where would be we without you? This installment, closing out season one of the X-Files concerns the government's use of alien tissue and DNA and their project of making alien-human hybrids. The information gained in this episode drives the conspiracy until its resolution. This is also where Agent Scully first begins to believe fully in all the things that Mulder has been spouot off concerning alien abductions. Deep Throat, played by Jerry Hardin and on of my personal favorite characters meets and unfortunate end, as the closing scene of the season which establishes the precident that all allies of Mulder and Scully will meet with similar circumstances. Considering the early season as a whole, and what it tried to establish, this is a good episode which serves to 'kick it up a notch' and set up the conspiracy for the overreaching scheme that it is.
  • So... Flipping... Good...

• Green Blood and Scully (briefly) Believes

First of all, (of course) character development. Mulder seems to actually hear Scully this time, when she tells him he can't trust Deep Throat. He goes home and when he's confronted by the mysterious man, confronts him about jerking him around. Good for you, Mulder! Still, as we will see in upcoming episodes, Mulder is way too willing to believe anyone who feeds him a few lines about believing in the paranormal. *sigh* This episode is significant for Scully as well, because she finally OFFICIALLY announces to the world (and Mulder, in particular) that she was wrong for disbelieving him.

Of course, many fans will now expect her to be open to all the paranormal. It's still unrealistic to expect Scully to accept things that Mulder does. Her first instinct is always to go to the more believable explanation. She concedes that extraterrestrials exist, but I'm sure she'll still resist thinking that every instance of abnormal activity is evidence of extraterrestrials. If nothing else, looking at the episode E.B.E. just shows how far the government will go to throw them off the track.

Is it any wonder that Scully maintains her skeptical attitude? I don't think so. But this episode is really good in allowing her that little bit of progress, but still maintaining her firm ground in science -- the thing that eventually forces her to accept the existence of extraterrestrial life is actual hard, scientific proof right in front of her face - two DNA nucelotides that do not exist in nature. Very appropriate and well-done.

As for the Conspiracy storyline - I think it's incredibly teasing of them to show us the green blooded clone man and then nothing else. It hints at future storylines (that go on for ages!). It answers the question, "What is the government hiding from Mulder and Scully?" But the answer only leads to a more profound question - "What the hell was that?"
  • a Deep throat farewell

“The Erlenmeyer Flask” is the Finale to The X-Files first season. And it’s a great episode, with everything you could want in it, including green blood, a man who can hold his breath longer than David Blane, Mulder gets kidnapped, Skully sees and Alien embryo (this should put end to her being sceptic ( but it doesn’t) , a few bullets, a Deep throat farewell and the closing of the X-files. And that about sums up the episode. Great, with a goof old Cliff hanger than made people wait a year till the next season was aired, but lucky for us (people of the future) we got em all on DVD, so we don’t have to wait that long. Pivotal.
  • unsettling the truth may be.

It is to many clear what happens here, and even more of them are aware what comes of it. When i saw this one for the first time, i was overwhelmed and speechless. To do that requires a lot more then you think.
    This is also the part where several lines converge and a new story within a story is born.
    The result becoming fatal for more then one person.

The way that this is treate is done in the finest way and you cannot do less then be amazed as to how the plotline unfolds. This would be the start for many episodes linked to this event.

All played in the best way, and all denied in even better fashion.
  • The one where Deep Throat dies

I haven't been a huge fan of the Mythology so far. But this one was pretty strong, many things happen but it's far from being a perfect season final.

It all begins with a man running from the police, one shoots him but he is able to jump into the water and an officer finds green blood on the floor.

I didn't care so much about the 'underwater' thing. Mulder finds a room with some bodies in tanks who are living under water or something. And they were all sick and apparently this can cure them but they weren't supposed to live through it and The government killed them all plus the professor who was making the tests.

Mulder and Scully discover that the government doesn't care about killing people as long as they can do experiments. They also kill a doctor who had exanimate the green stuff and who told Scully that it was extraterrestrial and she finally believes.

An important fact about this episode is that Deep Throat returns for the last time, he tells Scully to change an Erlenmeyer for Mulder who was taken away when they killed the last fish man.

Scully gives Deep Throat the Erlenmeyer but when they return Mulder they shoot Deep Throat, their only link and he dies.

Eventually Mulder calls Scully and he says that Skinner is shutting them off, they are shutting down the X-files but he won't give up. The CSM ends up with the Erlenmeyer who puts it in a box filled with more of those.

Mulder: They're shutting us down, Scully.
    Scully: What?
    Mulder: They called me in tonight...and they said they're going to reassign us to other sections.
    Scully: Who said that?
    Mulder: Skinner. He said word came down from the top...of the executive branch.
    Scully: Mulder...
    Mulder: It's over, Scully.
    Scully: Well, you have to lodge a protest. They can't...
    Mulder: Yes, they can.
    Scully: What are you going to do?
    Mulder: I'm... not going to give up. I can't give up. Not as long as the truth is out there.
  • Season 1 Finale.

"The Erlenmeyer Flask" ends season 1 fabulously. It puts all the characters that the fan spent getting to know amd love in jeopardy. Mulder, Scully, and Deep Throat eventually all become targeted by the secret, shadowy government who's job is hiding the truth. Leaving Mulder and Scully without the X-Files and without a key information source who had also became a friend to the FBI agents.