The X-Files

The Host

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 1994 on FOX

• A Classic

This is a "stinkiing episode", within the sewers of the USA, a creature living in the water. We get lots of classic humor, and signs that Mulder has friends in the FBI working to get the x-files reopened. This is a cult classic episode With a strange creature. Simply Incredible.
  • The fluke man

Another great X-File episode when Mulder has to investigate a body in a sewer which he thinks is a punishment but actually leads to something quite big.A genetic freak that bites people to reproduce and it infects people with some kind of tape worm.Then Mulder gets interested in the case and tracks down the fluke man supposedly killing it until you see it open its eyes at the end.In the middle of the episode Mulder finds he has a friend in the FBI when he is contacted by him and he seems to want the X-Files open.This may be the last chance of the X Files reopening.
  • The Host

It seems customary in the business of a series that, for an excellent episode, is allowed to do half-assed. In virtually all of this fact is repeated, and "X-Files", after the vibrant "2x01", suffered the same problem contagious. Not that the episode is not good, but is full of oddities that distort a little subtlety that present opportunities to the most diverse subjects, from which the series is a master at producing. The monster of the week here is completely exaggerated, even if it is interesting and very well done with the makeup. A creature with characteristics of parasite and physiology of primate, which is the result of radioactive material from a Russian freighter, at the time of the nuclear accident at Chernobyl. The exaggerations ensure all the hassle, since the creature's own physiology, both in fact survive long periods in the terrestrial environment (heck balls, if so, why she lives in water?). Skinner begins to gain more prominence and even recognizes the importance of the X files, but fears for the basic rule for which he applies to all persons at work or in any social environment, that everyone receives orders from superiors, that must be met. Mulder also discovers (or rather, being discovered) by a "friend" of the FBI, the newest "Deep Throat", which provides the necessary information and does not go directly into the game. Unfortunately, you can not see the face of this "friend" because he only speaks by phone, but his words by saying that if more cases like this are solved, the x files will be opened again, are enough to make any fan excited. Is not as suspenseful as it should and exaggeration in some parts of the comic edge, but it is a curious episode, full of details about the creature (it seems to biology class) and the existence of new species, ripe for discovery ... or produced.
  • The Host

The Host was a perfect episode of The X-Files and I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome, there was significant character and plot development and the ending was great. It was interesting to see AD Skinner put Mulder on a case like this and even more so to learn that some other higher up is a friend to Mulder. I liked how the story played out and how Scully participated. The ending was a little scary thinking about that thing in the sewers. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Great classic episode!

Never has toxic waste seemed so dangerous as when the big slimy white fellow slithers onto the screen and starts attacking people in the sewers. Even more grossness ensues when an infected victim hacks up a big worm. Flukeman, was one creepy monster!
  • The "X-Files" has built its reputation on being cool, hip and just a little bit twisted. Viewers have come to expect something more sophisticated than a gore-filled remake of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon"

3.5

When we settle down with Scully and Mulder for an hour of thrills and chills, we expect to be spooked, titillated, and challenged. We do not expect a cheapo latex monster straight out of Tokyo, circa 1968. We do not expect the Tobe Hooper approach to horror: throw a bucket of guts (or in this case, worms) at the audience and watch 'em squirm. As always when Chris Carter writes one of the episodes, the interaction between the main characters was excellent. Give Anderson or Duchovny half a chance and they can make these rather two-dimensional TV roles come alive. Mulder's reaction, when he bullies his way into his superior's office only to find himself interrupting a high-level meeting, is wonderfully understated. Scully's distress over her partner's possible resignation is suitably restrained while showing us her concern. Mulder's anger at Skinner and the "meaningless assignments" he has been given are very well brought out; once again it is brought home to us that while he is pretty much an introspective, thoughtful man, even Mulder can be pushed too far. And the scene in Scully's office, where the two regain the camaraderie of "old times" for a moment, is priceless.

But not even these pleasures can counteract the aggressively ugly scenes such as the fluke vomited forth by the unfortunate sewer worker, the graphic autopsy scene, or the intimately detailed explorations of various toilets, sewers, etc. This is the Stephen King approach to horror: if he can't give us that elegant frisson of fear he will give us the heave of nausea. It doesn't work in King and it doesn't work here. In fact, it undercuts everything the show has built up so far.

Nor do I welcome the intrusion of yet another mysterious informant to feed Mulder's paranoia as he smuggles out tantalizing tidbits from some secret power base. Since Deep Throat is dead and Carter has not named this new source, I christen him for what he is: Plot Device. I can understand why Carter might think he could get away with this kind of storyline; last year's "Ice" had a pretty high rating. The problem lies in his misinterpretation of the audience's reasons for watching "The X-Files". I liked "Ice" in spite of the graphic worm sequences; I liked it for the marvelous (if flawed) interaction between the characters. Later, Glen Morgan and Jim Wong managed to give us a thoroughly enjoyable dose of the creeps when they gave us the liver-eating Eugene Tooms without ever crossing the line between good horror and good taste.

• This episode, though starting off with a classic sewer inhabiting boogy man straight from the Night Stalker, eventually winds up smelling like its scenery.

I love the Files man, but this one should have stayed in the sewer. (Spoilers ahead.) I mean, ok, we find this radioactive mutant new life form, but what do we do with it? We charge it for murder and send it down town. What the heck is that about??? Well, you know it actually might interest some pretty important scientists this new life form, but it did kill two people, so...Book him Dano! (Little did they know that the creature would get out on a technicality as no-one read it its miranda rights!) I just loved the scene where they brought out the creature to the back of an ambulance to be transported to jail and there's just the one guy driving it. Now how did that guy get that detail? Man that was just not his day. BOSS: Oh hey Tom, we've got a prisoner to transport, and it turns out its this slimey monster we don't know anything about, what do you think, you ok with that?

TOM:
    Oh yeah, what the heck, just load him up in the back. I'll keep my eye on him. No need to assign an extra guard to come along. No no no, forget about the armed military escort. Just put him in the back, I got him. Its only a giant humanoid tape worm, after all. BOSS: Oh and Tom, you know this thing slides through sewer pipes for a living, so it might just be able to get through those restraints. So if it somehow manages to slip on through, you know, just grab the shotgun and jump back there after it. It won't give you no trouble.

TOM: Sure boss. Thanks. I wouldn't have thought to just jump back in there after it. You know, if you hadn't told me that I probably would wait for oh I don't know, a hazardous response team equipped to handle escaped radioactive mutant spills, but now that you mention it, why bother with the red tape, huh? I'll just shoo the ugly little guy right back into the restraints. Thanks for the tip.

(end of dialogue)
    But hey, if the little feller didn't escape we wouldn't have had the exciting climax of Fox sucking up some raw sewage. Yumm!
  • Creepy Monster-Of-The-Week

AD Skinner sends Mulder to investigate a body which washed into the New Jersey sewer from the ocean. Mulder believes that the basic blue-collar assignment is punishment, but on Skinner's own admission what he discovers is a true X-File. Mulder seems to think that he is being punished when he is sent to investigate the death of a guy found in a sewer. It turns out taht the guy was killeed be a giant parasite. Aka a worm man. A really weird monster of the week eppisode that wasn't that bad, but wasn't the best. An okay eppisode, that gets better with time
  • Another creepy monster of the week

I think this is the most disgusting monster of the week. This is the time when Mulder feels that everything is lost and begins to think about his future in the FBI. He's so frustrated and somewhat depressed that he doesn't know where he stands. Scully has a good idea: they work so well together that he might come to Quantico but, that's not possible. They don't want them working together.
    The flukeman in the end, was a terrible consequence of radiation and had been travelling in a Russian cargo ship. But the damage is done. There was Mulder's evidence. He was right when he told Skinner he had two great agents who could've solve the case in a different way but, even when Skinner knows they made a mistake closing the X-files, he only gets orders and so far, there's nothing he can do.
    All the Mulder and Scully scenes were great. They miss each other, is logical, and they find their way to see each other, to share ideas, to talk about what's happening to them.
    And we meet Mulder's new informant.
    My favorite moment has to be that scene in the lab when Scully and Mulder are talking. It did feel like old times.
  • Awesome

Coming as it does as only the second instalment of the second series, this bodes extremely well for the long-term future of the show. It’s ironic too that one of the main plot thrusts of the tail end of Season 1 was the imminent disbanding of the X Files unit. Now that that has been achieved, it hasn’t really affected Mulder and Scully that much. He still embroils her in his cases, she’s only too happy to don the surgicals, and it’s their sharing of information derived from their own professional backgrounds that leads to the resolution of the case. Indeed Scully does even remark at one point that it feels like old times, the way they’ve been sharing notes, a wistful touch that neatly acknowledges the fact that the two are out of favour with the powers that be. However, we know this is only going to be a temporary state of affairs. And the mysterious phone calls from Mulder’s new contact in the corridors of power who tells us that reinstatement of the X Files must be undeniable leads us to conclude that it’s only a matter of time before these two are back together, busting government ass. Actually this unseen introduction of the character later to be known as X is the one contrivance in the plot that is the hardest to deal with. Coming so soon after the murder of Deep Throat, a lightly sketched but still many shaded character, this reeks a little of “Same character, different person”. And the reason why reinstatement of the X Files should be undeniable is certainly not even touched upon. It seems like a vaguely redundant addition to a tightly spun episode, though in retrospect it does provide Mulder with the impetus he seems to be currently lacking. Mulder begins the episode in the same hollowed out form that we saw him at the end of “Little Green Men”, the previous episode. This is understandable given the man’s intuitive detective and profiling skills, so you’d think that he would jump at the chance to investigate a murder. But no, Mulder regards it as yet another ticking off assignment from Skinner and makes his displeasure openly known. It is Scully who realigns him and gets him back on the re-invested track by stepping out on a limb and offering to do the autopsy on the John Doe. To be honest, Mulder comes across as being a little bit ungrateful here. It’s Scully’s discovery of the fluke worm inside the sailor that really starts the ball rolling in this case, and the implication is that Skinner fed this case directly to Mulder, knowing that it contained all the right ingredients to be an X File (only it’s not allowed to be referred to as such). Skinner is open enough to agree with Mulder that yes, it is an X File; sadly Mulder doesn’t have the good grace to acknowledge this, his eye too busy being set on the big prize now – reinstatement. But what this episode does have in spades is good old gross-out magic. One of the tricks of this programme is that it quite happily takes us to places we don’t necessarily want to go. So down in the sewers we are led, in such a well-made episode that we can practically smell it, complete with intense flashing torchlights piercing the gloom. And it’s to meet a monster that is so repellent and one that confirms one of our own childhood fears – that there are things in the sewer that are going to come and get us through one of our most vulnerable areas, the toilet. And speaking of gross-out moments, the scene where Scully is surprised by something nasty lurking in a young Russian sailor’s body cavity is classic stuff. (The sound designers obviously had great fun too in this scene, providing us with some deliciously squelchy noises as Scully ferrets around in the man’s intestines.) One of the hallmarks of quality of this show is that although it’s dealing with gross stuff in terms of autopsies, we actually see remarkably little of it as it’s neatly reflected in Scully’s glasses. Of course the other well-remembered gross-out scene that lingers in the mind is when the sewage worker pukes up a fluke worm in the shower. It’s not especially big, it’s not especially clever, but it has you squirming in your seat. And that’s precisely what “The X Files” is all about. So, although “The Host” fits into the easily-labelled category of Monster of the Week episode, it actually has some much greater wide-reaching implications in the scheme of the series. That the monster we’re dealing with here happens to be a particularly good one, makes “The Host” even more of a deliciously guilty pleasure. 10/10
  • Worm Man.

This episode was about a giant worm creature which is infesting the sewers. Skinner puts Mulder on the case to investigate. With Scully's help they are able to identify the species of worm. Scully believes that this creature was created in a septic tank of a ship which carried radioactive material. Anyway Mulder fins out that he has a friend at the FBI and eventually they capture the worm creature. It gets away and eventually Mulder tracks it down and has the final showdown with the creature and kills it. Mulder than asks Scully the question 'three species everyday disapear from the earth, i wonder how many new species are being created'. And on that not we see that another worm man is alive inb the sewer...

Really liked this episode. Finally Skinner realises that it was a mistake to close the X Files down. Really liked this one a lot. Great episode.
  • "It was born in a primordial soup of radioactive sewage"

6.8
    Not this episode, but that disgusting creature. Yikes. The episode was solid, just nothing to really make it stick out in my mind. I do appreciate the open ending, but only because that's what makes the X-Files so x-filey. Darin Morgan in that suit. What a trooper. The only thing that made this episode really difficult to watch was the poor pacing. It seems like elementary film-making class 101 to keep the pace of the show going strong until the climax. But this episode allows a conclusion in the middle, and then forces the viewer to re-up their level of suspense for what feels like a do-over. Uh-oh, it escaped - let's go get it. Where'd it go? Oh, it went right back to where we last had it. What was the point of that circular trip? To get Mulder into the water with the creature? That part was creepy, mostly because I really cannot imagine wanting to wade through gross sewer water waiting for a thing with a scolex to chomp down on you. Still, they could've managed that some other way than how they did it.

I really enjoyed Mulder's various interactions with Asst. Director Skinner. When he's being an uppity little troublemaker, it's a side of Mulder you don't get to see much -- the rebel, yes. The believer, yes. But the whiny malcontent who raises his voice? Hah. I enjoyed it. I love all shades of Mulder. And for someone who rarely loses his cool, he certainly does it a lot toward Skinner.
  • An absolute classic episode!

What can you say about a classic episode like this one? Who knew that such a disgusting charcter/monster like "flukey" would become one of the most beloved and discussed characters in the history of the X-Files. Even coming back to be mentioned in another episode or two.
    The story wasn't that great and I think a lot of the gross out scenes were just to push the censorship of the show because that's what The X-Files was about, pushing new limits.
    This episode was indeed a great one though once all was said and done and has become a fovorite in the X-Files marathons.
  • a good episode, and it was also good for a laugh

“The Host” is an interesting episode, with an overgrown parasite (which quite clearly is a man in a suit – I also thing the people who made monsters for Buffy the Vampire Slayer watched this.) Mulder is put on a murder case and not everything is as it seems. Eventually he catches an overgrown parasite, and transports it in a van. The parasite escapes and goes for a run, Mulder kills the parasite. End of episode. Oh, and just before the credits roll it comes back to life and swims free. Well anyway, I thought it was a good episode, and it was also good for a laugh
  • Classic Monster of the Week

This is a classic X-Files \"monster\" episode. Maybe the facts weren\'t perfect, and maybe it bordered on ridiculous and disgusting now and again, but it was still a classic.

The only thing that seemed extraordinarily strange about the episode was the fact that nearly everyone was treating the Flukeman like a person, an actual, viable suspect. Sure, in the end the creature was dubbed a \"hybrid,\" and had human DNA, but let\'s face it, no one in their right mind was going to look at that thing and say, \"Cuff him.\"

Overall, the episode was good and worth watching, even if it had its weak points. It embodied what the show is all about: Mulder and Scully chasing mutants to the ends of the earth, and into the darkest, most detestable places imaginable, all for the sake of hopefully locating the ever illusive \"Truth\".
  • The one where it smells

This episode is the most definitely grossest of the show so far.

It all began with a guy in a ship who has to do a crappy job, he opens like a door and he has to clean the water or whatever but it stinks and suddeny something pulls him right in, into the water and some buddies of him try to save him but the thing is too strong and it takes the body away.

Mulder goes to a sewer where someone found a body who’s rotting and Mulder sends it to Scully. When Scully begins to investigate the body she opens it up and finds a weird worm creature right there by the bodies intestines.

Also Mulder is having some secret phone calls about a guy who says it’s his friend and also helps Scully by giving her a paper where she figures out that the body was of a Russian marine guy.

Another guy in the sewers is attacked but he’s saved by his buddy, in the hospital they find a huge wound but they don’t know what it is and he keeps saying that he has a weird taste in his mouth. When they guy comes home, he brushes his teeth but there is blood coming out of his mouth. The guy takes a shower but then a weird worm guy comes out and goes in the sink and the guy dies.

Another guy is able to find the weird worm monster and they make a man take the worm to someplace (which was really stupid) and then the man steps out of the car to look at the monster and ofcourse it kills him, my god that guy was a nimrod.

The worm soon goes into a nearby toilet and wait until a sewer-truck swallows it in and takes it right back to the sewers where Mulder and this guy go to. The guy goes in the water (he has to be the dumbest person ever!) and ofcourse, gets attacked but Mulder jumps right in there to save the dumbass and when the worm tries to escape, Mulder lets a door fall on it and dismember it in two pieces.

The worm was made because of some radioactive thing, so nature didn't create it, the humans did.

What I like so much about the episode is that it's creepy and gross. It has a great storyline and gives ˜Skinner" a more interesting look.
  • Mulder investigates his first case without Scully by his side, which find him looking for a human-like parasite that escaped a Russian ship and is now preying on victims in the sewers of New Jersey. Although he's flying solo, both Scully and X put him on

As with many episodes of this show, I remember them being far superior than they really are. That is probably a combination of me being more mature now and the fact that my expections are much higher, but that is not too say an episode like 'The Host' isn't good, because it was interesting enough. The strongest points for me was seeing how Mulder and Scully begin to work together without even being together in the field. Plus, the parasite was pretty freaking cool looking. I think that character alone is what makes this otherwise bland episode stand out in the minds of many, as it looked so downright vile and disgusting.