The X-Files

The Post-Modern Prometheus

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 30, 1997 on FOX

• If it were up to me, this episode would have been saved for the series finale.

I'm not going to get into a complicated analysis of this episode. I'll just simply say that I loved every minute of it. The black and white. The music. And the slowdance at the end is my favorite X-Files moment of all time.

I've always felt this would have been a perfect episode to end the series on. The series eventually concluded with the end of the conspiracy mytharch. But I feel a series finale should be one that stands apart from the rest of the series. To enjoy any mytharc episode you would almost have to have followed the series from the beginning. But an episode like this can be enjoyed by hardcore and casual fans alike. I would have opted to end the series on a monster of the week episode. Specifically this one.

To close the show out with Mulder and Scully having one last dance and to have The End appear on screen would be the perfect ending for me. Why not wrap up the conspiracy mytharc in the second to last episode and save the last dance for the end.

What a way to go out that would have been.