The X-Files

The Rain King

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 10, 1999 on FOX

7.9
  • The Rain King

The Rain King was a really great episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the characters were phenomenal, the story was intriguing and the weather was a little crazy. It was fun to watch Mulder and Scully investigate. I liked how the Rain King leased office space and had a whole business. I liked the way every thing played out and found the unfolding story to be entertaining and interesting to watch. I liked the ending and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!
  • Underrated

Frankly, I was disappointed with some of the recent episodes. I thought Dreamland had a lot of potential but ultimately failed to be funny or suspenseful.

This episode was a bit different, but I thought it was legitimately funny. Our rain king introduction (that was great acting BTW), scully's long silence after Mulder says he's giving dating advice, and even small lines like "unless you want to get hamburger all over you, I reckon you should step outside".

Yes, the plot is cheesy. But it works because the episode is supposed to be cheesy, and everything is consistent with that. They also do a great job of teasing our appetite for Mulder and Scully getting together.
  • Mulder and Scully meet The Rain King.

6.8
    From the beginning, this episode was somewhat doomed. I thought Season 6 started off promising, with a trio of unique and compelling episodes and a two-parter that was somewhat lame but different enough to keep me interested. However, the last few episodes have just been strange, sub-par installments.

Here, we get Mulder and Scully visiting a town where a guy claims he can predict the weather. He has a little spiel that he does, and soon enough, rain follows. He uses it to make a profit, and Mulder is intrigued. The best X-Files episodes usually indicate that there's some sort of danger awaiting our lead actors, but from the very beginning, it's clear that there's no danger in sight. We have a guy who can make it rain, a woman who ends up falling in love with Mulder at first sight and a weatherman who, as it turns out, is the actual person controlling the weather. Except it follows his emotions.. if he gets mad, it'll thunderstorm, and if he's happy, the weather will be fantastic.

Even when the weatherman, who happens to be in love with the woman who's in love with Mulder, finds out that the woman actually loves Mulder instead of him, there's still no sense that any drama will occur.. instead, we get half-hearted hints at the fact that Mulder and Scully may like each other and Mulder trying to give dating advice to people.. I like it when the show tries new things, but man, this was just plain dumb.
  • This eppy is so great because it goes deeper then the case itself. It's about love.

At first it seems like a normal case, later a "normal" x-file. What I loved about this episode is that it was mostly about love. It also implicates the love between Mulder and Scully, and more then once.

When Scully is saying that the best relationships start from friendship, it's like she's analysing her relationship with Mulder. They have a great friendship, so...

I also loved the phone scene were Mulder tells Scully that he has to give dating advice. Her reaction tells it all.

It was not a typical x-files episode, but it contained other great parts.

Could it be a hint for the future?
  • Rain and Love and then some...

6.6
    What is going on with this series? The third boring episode in a row! After such a great start into the season - even harder to endure.

Sure the plot was original and the acting was supposed to be goofy. One might want to argue its merits but I was more disappointed with the whole Scully/Mulder storyline (if you can call it that)

Scully and Mulder are Partners. They trust each other, they risk and save their lives in numerous episodes. He is insanity, she is reason. A match made in Heaven. At the beginning of the series I was like: They are made for eachother! But then I realised that there are NO long term relationships between characters. Not a single one. It seems to bore people. And the writers made the right decision to keep them platonical. So why bother with hints and clues and stuff if you don't follow through? There will be no Scully/Mulder relationship, I am sure of it. That makes this just boring and painful to watch really. I love Scully and Mulder and above all I love that they are just Friends. Keep it that way and stop the nonsense!

Besides: Since when are Scully and Mulder back on the X-Files? Who gave them this assignment? Where was Spender? No explanation whatsoever as to why they are not questioned by Kersh...
  • Mulder and Scully investigate a man who claims he can make it rain.

This episode starts off on Valentines Day, with the lady waiting for her man dressed seductively for a romantic night in. There is red satin and presents and a heart shaped box of chocolates (half eaten by her). He says " and you wonder why you're that size?"

She wants to tell every body about their engagement, and has even taken out an ad in the personals of the local paper much to his annoyance. He is so enraged that he goes out for a drive (drinking as well) and crashes his car in a hailstorm. Heart shaped hail!

We cut to six months later where Mulder and Scully have been sent to investigate and they look at the weather history and where this man was during these periods. They turn to the local T.V. weatherman for assistance and they find out a lot more about this towns residents and there interactions since leaving high school. There is a high school reunion with references to the film the Wizard of Oz. behind the D.J. there is a huge balloon like the one in the film.
  • This episode is my guilty pleasure.

I realise this episode is not widely loved by fans of the X files, I know its not the greatest storyline ever, but I just adore it, in all its cheesy glory! It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a shipper and this episode was packed with all these little shippy goodies which I may point out were blatent, not just the usual subtle clues thrown in to make us um and ar as to wether or not Mulder and Scully have feelings for each other. I mean Scully's solioquy to Shelia in one of the final scenes of the episodes was telling, very telling that she does in fact have feelings for Mulder. She didn't have to mention names for us to know who she's talking about.

As for the story no its not the best as M/S investigate the strange weather going on in this small town, but the episode had a very nice season 1/2/3 feel to it, which I have been missing in season 6 as they have been v.standaloneish episodes to date, (except for Terms of Endearment maybe - but I didn't much care for that.) This episode though, I knew where it was leading to, the conclusion was obvious and I didn't mind it one bit. It wasn't left open ended and it had a happy ending which wasn't stupid or unbelieveable. Of course it didn't harm the episode to have a very strong theme of love running all the way through as I'm a sucker when it comes to romance. It also included some great Mulder/Scully banter and the fantastic moment of the two swaying together at the reunion party. Which I admit I played back a few times! All in all I highly enjoyed it and dare I say it.... after Triangle this has been my favourite episode of the season so far. It really is my guilty pleasure!
  • Junk Food

6.6
    Further confirmation that the X-Files has lost its way in Season Six. This episode is the equivalent of junk food - looks good, tastes good, but ultimately empty and even harmful in large doses.

The gimmicky guest star trend continues, this time with Victoria Jackson, whose vapid goofballness instantly dooms this episode. Mulder and Scully are relegated to the role of bemused spectators as Ms. Jackson and her goofy costars engage in cornball antics that belong in a show like "Mama's Family" instead of the X-Files.

The constant riffs on Mulder and Scully's platonic relationship are supposed to be funny and insightful, I guess, but they quickly get old and tired. I laughed out loud when I saw the airplane land amidst the mountains of "northeastern Kansas." Ever been there? It's flat as a pancake from the Waffle House. And the people there aren't nearly like the "country bumpkins" that are played for laughs in this episode.

There are some funny moments in this episode and the producers do succeed in creating an entertaining hour of television. It's just too bad that they decided to give us an episode of "Mama's Family" instead of an X-Files episode.
  • Mulder and Scully investigate a "Rain King" and drought in the Mid West.

Mulder brings Scully along to investigate a "Rain King" charging people for rain storms to provide for their crops. At first Scully is shocked that Mulder dragged her all they way out there to check on someone "controlling" the weather. Mulder is intrigued to find out what is the center to the mysterious weather in this small town. Over the years it has had several tornados, droughts, thunderstorms, hailstorms, and other strange weather patterns. At first Mulder tries to find out who is at the center of the weather. A woman from the town thinks she is causing all of this trouble for her small town. But it turns out that the weatherman of the town and his emotions help control the weather. Especially when his emotions are related to his highschool sweetheart, whom he cant seem to tell her his feelings. In this episode we see Mulder and Scully swaying together at a highschool reunion. And each is questioned on wether or not they have feelings for the other. Scully replies that she would be with someone she really considers as her friend, someone she can trust, this seems to me that unknowingly she shows us that she has feelings for Mulder.
  • The one with the guy who controls the weather.

‘The Rain King’ is a very underrated and simply fun, feel good episode. It’s about a man controlling the weather

The episode begins with a woman having a fight with a man she wants to marry, he leaves her upset because he didn’t want her to tell anyone, outside it suddenly starts to rain very hard and when he opens the door it hits him, those are big ice hearts.

Mulder and Scully are called on the case, where a man goes it rains, Scully doesn’t believe it at first until the guy does some sort of ritual and then it begins to rain and she finally shuts it.

The funniest thing about this episode was that everyone thought that Scully and Mulder were partners, while they tried to make sure they weren’t. At night Mulder almost gets killed by a cow, the woman that was inlove with the so called Rain king believes she was responsible and tells Mulder about her life with rain, that it has haunt her for her whole life. A colleague of hers that is hers best friend keeps following her around, Mulder begins to suspect that maybe he might have something to do with it all.

That guy has been inlove with Sheila all his life, that’s why he makes it rain, because he loves her but can’t get her. When she tells him that she is inlove with Mulder, he gets very upset. Meanwhile Mulder figured it all out and tries to tell the guy to confess his love but he is like a blind man leading a blind man, he hasn’t been on a date for a very long while either. Sheila then comes to confess her love and kisses Mulder on his mouth and everyone sees her, the so called rain king who didn’t control the weather comes in, he lost his leg that night all that ice fell on him. He now wants Sheila back but she isn’t interested in him anymore.

When the school party starts, Mulder tells the guy to confess her love but she doesn’t want him, she only sees him as a friend. The guy can’t control his mood and makes it storm, but when Sheila discovers the truth about it all and that everything that has happened is because of him, she thinks it’s romantic and falls inlove with him.

Even though this episode is beyond cheesy, it’s also hilarious, possibly one of the funniest episodes of the show. The end is also great, like a fairy tale. A very nice and enjoyable episode.
  • Overall, this episode is often considered one of the worst of the series, and on a number of levels, there are specific reasons for that reputation.

As noted in many of the previous sixth season episodes, there was mandate from Chris Carter and the network to push the series into lighter territory, given the success of the humorous efforts from earlier seasons and the likelihood of new viewers after “Fight the Future”. The first third of the sixth season is replete with what would become known as “XF Lite”; episodes that were largely self-contained, treated Mulder and Scully as characters with only the most basic history and context, and attempted to mix the unusual with humor.

Episodes like “Triangle” and “Terms of Endearment” fell into the trap of the first two categories, exploring different ground but losing much in the process. Other episodes, like “Dreamland”, allowed for character and context, but focused too strongly on humor at the expense of the potential for more. In each case, the writers managed to give the audience something more than just vaguely recognizable characters stumbling into the unknown.

For many fans, this was the unfortunate example of all three flaws. While some fans with an emphasis on romantic elements of the show were pleased by the constant references to the underlying emotions between the two agents, many were left wondering whether or not the writers were even paying attention. New writer Jeff Bell took a lot of the heat for the episode, but ultimately, this was the end result of the changes mandated from the front office.

Almost immediately, the audience is left to wonder where this episode is supposed to fit into the overall continuity. Two episodes earlier, the setting was Christmas; now, for the second episode in a row, the setting is more appropriate to late fall. That was partially the effect of the decision to shift when the episodes would air, thanks to Major League Baseball. But even without that mess, there’s the small problem of context.

Even the previous episode made it clear that Mulder and Scully were still on a tight leash, and many threats had been leveled against them for exploring X-Files and related sundry. So how does this episode fit into that “big picture”? Not one moment in the episode is the current crisis for the agents incorporated. On the basis of this episode, that “big picture” might as well not exist. After all, how did Mulder get a phone call from the mayor, if any such calls would go directly to Spender?

Thus this episode is completely self-contained from the point of view of the ongoing story arcs. Overall, it’s not entirely clear how the events fit into the series’ mythology. One could suspect some form of poltergeist activity, the subconscious application of psycho-kinesis to affect one’s environment, usually centering against the individual with the psychological stress in question. Loosen the rules a little bit, center that subconscious outlet of energy into the weather, add in the possibility that Holman has the genetic markers for some kind of “sentinel” ability (see the review for “Fight the Future” for more on that, specifically the mythology section), and it might make a kind of sense. Just never mind the problems created by the prospect of a drought covering half a state for months, supposedly unnoticed by anyone else in the world.

So the concept at the heart of the episode has a tenuous connection to the spiritual and psychic universe of the X-Files, but the more immediate aspects of the conspiracy and the effect of it on the agents is completely missing. Another source of continuity, however, could be easily accomplished if character development and the relationship between Mulder and Scully is given proper context.

Oddly, this episode focuses entirely upon the possibility of romantic feelings held by Mulder and Scully for each other, despite the fact that such an obvious expression of such emotions had been a long-standing prohibition. In this case, nearly everyone else involved in the episode notes how obvious the love and affection must be, referring to them as a couple whenever it remotely makes sense in the context of a scene. In other words, while many of those emotions have been part of the complex nature of their relationship, in this episode, it’s far more open than it has been in earlier seasons.

This plays less upon the established character histories and more upon the “iconic” versions of the characters. The “iconic” Mulder and Scully show up in many of the stand-alone episodes of the sixth and seventh seasons, designed to allow new viewers to recognize them in very general terms. Mulder is the believer, leaping to the paranormal on any shred of evidence, and Scully is the skeptic, even in the face of a situation that cannot be explained by science. (Never mind that earlier seasons typically left the nature of a phenomenon to question, rather than providing an exact cause.) The “iconic” Mulder and Scully secretly love each other, and that’s all there is to it.

Looking at the series from the long view, Mulder and Scully would be coming to terms with certain personal realizations. At his point, Mulder is still unsure about his sister’s fate and where the conspiracy is going. While he clearly has feelings for Scully, to the point of placing her on equal footing with Samantha in his life, Scully is still not the center of his universe. Resolving the mystery of Samantha’s fate still comes first.

Scully, on the other hand, is dealing with a more complex set of emotions. Mulder already fills a psychological void for Scully, playing the role of the authoritative figure that she finds utterly desirable. Yet that same psychology typically leaves her with a means of escape, whether it be family or otherwise. Being with Mulder has cost her in many ways: her health, her career, her family. Scully was ready to walk away, and that should be something dealt with in the sixth season.

Instead of these complex characters with warring desires and fears, the writers offer the “X-Files” version of a romantic comedy. While Mulder and Scully would ultimately choose each other by the end of the seventh season, each must have a moment of epiphany before that time comes, allowing them to overcome the internal barriers to such a relationship. They also must come to the point where any other option, based on their shared psychological issues, would be impossible to imagine. At the end of the seventh season, that point is reached, but early in the sixth season, it was premature.

Many point to Scully’s conversation with Shiela as an admission of love for Mulder, and perhaps to some degree, that’s what it is. But given how ridiculous the situation is, why would Scully air such feelings to a stranger, especially since her character would not be willing to admit such things to herself at this point in the series? While it was cause for celebration for those yearning for overt signs of a Mulder/Scully romance, it was another sign of writing issues for those looking for character consistency.

Having effectively failed to give these events a context within the conspiracy, with slight connection to the series’ mythology, the writers also failed to place these events in a consistent context for the characters themselves, except in the most general sense. The final and most lethal element of the episode, however, was the horrible brand of “humor” employed.

Many of the gags fall completely flat, especially the guest characters themselves. Instead of offering a compelling set of individuals, the writers chose to populate Kroner with wacky characters that don’t seem like they act in any rational manner at all. It’s the inclusion of the bizarre for no other purpose than to be weird, and it’s fairly transparent. The audience is given very little reason to care about the residents of Kroner.

Given that this was effectively the fifth episode in a row with cute or humorous elements, it should be no surprise why the audience was tired of the new direction chosen for the sixth season. It certainly doesn’t help that the episode was written to appeal to a subset of the audience, effectively to the exclusion of anyone with other interests and preferences. Given all of that, it’s not hard to see why this is often cited as one of the worst episodes of the series.
  • It wasn't as good as the previous episodes.

Very weird & interesting, even a little funny, but it could have been better.

There was not much action, except for the cow falling into Mulder's motel room, which I found to be pretty funny, especially because he had to be stck with Scully in the same room and she wasn't too happy about it.

Lots of hints going around that Mulder & Scully are in love. And the end was ok. First the episode starts on Valentines day then 6 months later Mulder & Scully come in to investigate and it ends a year later.

• Cheesy and ordinary, but still enjoyable.

“The Rain King” is dripping with cheese. Indeed, it is probably the cheesiest episode in the entire history of The X-Files. Were it present in an earlier season, it might be welcome. However, the sixth season is hardly serious, and “The Rain King” seems to be just another bland episode where there is little action and a lot of stupid romances and hints of Mulder and Scully being in love. The story is fine, the music selections are good (I especially like the “Rainy Days and Mondays” bit), and the acting is great. When everything boils down, “The Rain King” turns out to be just an okay episode; wholly enjoyable but nothing fantastic.
  • Men whose emotions change the weather and the women who love them.

7.1
    The light-hearted tone continues for the sixth straight episode and finally hits the wall. There's a semi-interesting twist in here, but overall it's silly in a way somewhere between the audacious badness of Syzygy and the sublime perfection of Bad Blood or War Of The Caprophages. Sadly, it's closer to the former.