The X-Files

The Rain King

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 10, 1999 on FOX

7.9
  • Mulder and Scully meet The Rain King.

6.8
    From the beginning, this episode was somewhat doomed. I thought Season 6 started off promising, with a trio of unique and compelling episodes and a two-parter that was somewhat lame but different enough to keep me interested. However, the last few episodes have just been strange, sub-par installments.

Here, we get Mulder and Scully visiting a town where a guy claims he can predict the weather. He has a little spiel that he does, and soon enough, rain follows. He uses it to make a profit, and Mulder is intrigued. The best X-Files episodes usually indicate that there's some sort of danger awaiting our lead actors, but from the very beginning, it's clear that there's no danger in sight. We have a guy who can make it rain, a woman who ends up falling in love with Mulder at first sight and a weatherman who, as it turns out, is the actual person controlling the weather. Except it follows his emotions.. if he gets mad, it'll thunderstorm, and if he's happy, the weather will be fantastic.

Even when the weatherman, who happens to be in love with the woman who's in love with Mulder, finds out that the woman actually loves Mulder instead of him, there's still no sense that any drama will occur.. instead, we get half-hearted hints at the fact that Mulder and Scully may like each other and Mulder trying to give dating advice to people.. I like it when the show tries new things, but man, this was just plain dumb.