The X-Files

The Red and the Black (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 08, 1998 on FOX

• Part 2

Finally, we get the return of the Mulder we've come to know and love, the Mulder who's willing to put everything on the line simply to reveal the truth or at least get a little closer to finding it. We get more conspiracies, more government interaction, more Krycek, but for the most part, the best parts of the episode came from Mulder and Scully.

Scully survives the atrocities of last episode's cliffhanger, but she has memory issues. As a result, she goes under hypnosis and realizes that she was attacked by faceless men, men who began setting all of the former abductees on fire. She also learns she has many more implants in her, a scary thing to hear indeed. Meanwhile, Mulder finds it harder and harder to turn a blind eye to the whole conspiracy, especially after Krycek shows up and tells Mulder that the faceless men are aliens who are part of a rebel group.

It's a bit difficult to explain the episode to somebody who hasn't watched all of the myth arc episodes that come before. I somewhat understand what's going on, but even then, it's hard to say. I know that there is a government group, I believe a "syndicate" of sorts, who are experimenting with alien/human DNA, as if they're preparing for colonization. Meanwhile, there are alien shapeshifters that appear who seem to want to kill these faceless men, who are also aliens. Honestly, it gives me a headache just thinking about the whole thing. It's a bit absurd, but it does make the show that much more interesting, especially if the writers can pull off explaining to us how it all works.

By the time the episode ends, we get another twist, something that simply adds on to the level of ridiculousness that plagued this myth-arc two-parter. It turns out that Jeffrey Spender's father appears to be the Cigarette Smoking Man. If this is true, and Spender is still getting letters from his father, then does that mean the C.S.M is still alive? IF he is, then this season got even weirder.