The X-Files

The Walk

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 10, 1995 on FOX

7.7
  • The Walk

The Walk was a great episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing and the gust cast was amazing. It was fun watching Mulder and Scully investigate this case involving veterans. There was a lot of character development and great scenes helped set the tone of the story. I liked how every thing played out and it was neat to see astral projection in play. There were some slow parts and it wasn't the best episode but still worth watching. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!
  • The eerie atmosphere of the episode overtakes mostly everything else

If there's one thing that The X-Files does extremely well, it's taking a plot that could be seen as sub-par or cliche and adding their own eerie, twisted sense to it. Some of the scenes here are horrifying and bone-chilling, and Chris Carter has always done a great job of not using over-the-top special effects as a way to shock the audience.. instead, we get lower budget effects that do twice the job in scaring us.

I thought the plot unfolded pretty slow for an episode of X-Files; usually, things are firing on all cylinders, but that let the camera do a great job in showing us awful situations. The scene where the lieutenant colonial tries to burn himself alive in the therapy tub was awful to watch and left me wincing for some minutes afterwards, and the idea of an amputee not only having phantom limb syndrome but a phantom BODY experience, or an out-of-body experience, was pretty cool.

Unfortunately, these episodes always feel rushed and it feels as if we never fully understand the motives for any villain or bad guy in the show except for when it comes to aliens or government conspiracies. But for a stand-alone episode of X-Files, one could do a lot worse.
  • Could've been better

I think this episode lacks among other things, a strong interaction between Mulder and Scully. Looks like their partnership was in the background the whole time and the very far-fetched plot was more important.

Astral projection is quite interesting, however, I didn't find it that way in this episode. Maybe if they had moved the whole plot outside the fort into the city could've been better. I guess the only one who deserved to die there was the General because he is the one being responsible for putting Roach into that situation. Revenge was a strong motive, but still this just looked like a filler episode.
  • Walks a good line

Everyone's always quick to cite John Shiban as being the perpetrator of some of the show's most stultifying episodes. And certainly, when you have to sit through such lacklustre efforts as "Teso dos Bichos" and "El Mundo Gira", they have a point. But consider this. "The Walk" is not only Shiban's very first X Files episode, but it's also one of the great overlooked episodes of Season 3 that not only tells a good story but also has some deeply critical statements to make about the US involvement in the Gulf War. It begins with a particularly gruesome exercise in how to devise the nastiest way for someone to cause damage to themselves. The soldier's self-immersion in boiling water is bad enough but the subsequent glee with which the camera feeds off his horrific injuries makes this uncomfortable viewing. But I think that actually is the point. Especially when we meet the character of Rappo, raging against the iniquities of his own injuries. Truth is, we don't like to be reminded of people with severe disabilities – that is why they are usually housed in special care facilities, out of view – and this episode is very cogniscent of that fact. And very cleverly, Shiban is able to come up with the concept of one such angry man being able to channel his anger into destructive ways. It's quite simply one step beyond the now generally recognised pattern of blind or deaf people heightening their other senses to compensate their loss. One of the big questions here is how long will it be before Mulder posits his theory of astral projection? And surprisingly, he holds off on that until he is absolutely certain that that is what they are dealing with. Naturally Scully is incredulous of his theory, but she knows better than to dismiss it entirely out of hand. And on the subject of withholding things, it's at least halfway through the episode before Rappo is clearly revealed to be the villain of the piece. Nice to see Scully's completely unflappable attitude in the face of army intimidation. Presumably this stems from her naval family background, but she certainly won't be thrown off an investigation like this by some army personnel. This episode also demonstrates the show's complete lack of compunction about killing off subsidiary characters. While other programmes might shy away from killing off children, the general's son is one of the first victims to be buried alive in one of the largest sandpits in Christendom. And the female officer fares no better, in a scene which is a direct steal from the 1940s horror classic, "Cat People". What is easily distinguished in both those scenes is the high calibre of the special effects. Indeed Rob Bowman's direction is confident and stylish throughout, aided immeasurably by another outstanding contribution from cinematographer John Bartley. Just look at the way Gillian Anderson is lit throughout the episode (and Duchovny to a slightly lesser extent) – it screams "movie star"!

But when you come right down to it, "The Walk" is a highly political episode. Scully comments that the government has completely disavowed any instance of Gulf War syndrome, so how then do we explain what's going on with Rappo? And his very rage stems precisely from him being subjected to God knows what whilst in combat. It's a theme very redolent of Oliver Stone's "Born on the Fourth of July", which in turn must count as one of the most sharply critical anti-government films of recent years. It begs the question as to whether such themes would be tackled in the very different world we find ourselves post September 11th. One would imagine not in the wake of patriotism that followed that cataclysmic event. But it's these very questions that help elevate "The Walk" into one of the more involving episodes of this season.

8/10
  • Fixed astral body kills SO's

This episode is one of those episodes barely making it watchable. A low-rank military has lost his arms and legs in combat and commit homocides by letting his astral body take out whole familys belonging to his superior officers. When the superior officers don't want to continue their lifes they decide to commit suicide but are on and on in various ways hindered in their action to do so.

Mulder is, as usual, quick to come the right conclusion and has already a hunch what is going on. The conclusion finally he withdraws from x-ray plates (the ones dentists uses) he has been carying around the whole time while staying in the military hospital where the episode mainly takes place.
  • Boring

Another shallow standalone episode. There is this claustrophobic style with the X-Files, as if all the action is played out in a snow globe with the characters having no outside contacts with the world at large. Oftentimes, this style helps to create tension or a sense of paranoia, but here it makes for some boring viewing. I wasn't able to "buy in" to the premise of this episode because it all seemed so insular.

I didn't believe in the premise of a house for paraplegics being run by the military. It just seemed too "set up" for me. I didn't understand the whole business of the officers not being allowed to die, how could Rappo have affected their ability to die? I didn't understand Rappo's motivation in killing off his fellow soldiers. Sure, he was angry and bitter, but killing the wife and son of his commanding officer? Seemed a stretch to me. I did like Mulder's "gallows" sense of humor in this epsiode, especially the "No sleepwalking line." That was classic.
  • "No Sleepwalking."

This was an excellent episode! It kept me on the edge of my seat, and the premise was one that I could really get into. Astral projection and other dream phenomena are instances of paranormal activity that sometimes I could almost believe in. So to have an episode that dealt with that type of subject matter was very interesting for me. I thought the guest cast was very talented in this episode, except for the guy who played the Mailman, just because he reminded me of Sex and the City... But I suppose he was good too. I just kept expecting him to pick up a martini and make some witty banter at the two agents.
  • "I told you, he won't let me die!"

"The Walk" pretty much starts with these words. A man in a hospital has tried to commit suicide multiple times but failed. The attempts are diagnosed as "cries for help", but apparantly they aren't able to die.

The man behind this, somehow is Leonard "Rappo" Trimble. A handicap who's lost both his arms ánd legs in the gulf war. Obviously it's awkward that this person can be behind it all, but this isn't an X-File for nothing and soon Mulder believes it has something do do with astral-projection. He goes out of his body killing his target's families to make them suffer the way he suffers.

The best thing about this episode is that it's very tense and creepy. There is a scene when a woman is alone in a swimming pool at night. She is swimming on her back, looking at her own shadow on the ceiling when a second shadow moves towards her fast. Moments like this are very well done, and really add to the atmosphere of the episode.

It's a real exciting episode that I recommend everyone to see.
  • Another Episode where the benefit man should have been informed

Mulder and Skully investigate a series of failed scuicide attempts in some army base thingy. And in the end we've got ourselves another episode about benefit fraud. Only Joking. Well anyway a guy with no arms and no legs (poor get) turns out to be doing the asteral projection thingy and killing peoples familys off. Overall its a good episode with a great concept.Its a bit hard to work out whats going on at first but when you do get your head around it you'll be fine. Its a case of, "He cant do it, hes disabled!" Imagine if Rambo could do this- it would be bloody good. 8 ot of 10
  • The one with the astral-projection

‘The Walk’ was a brilliant and highly underrated episode.

It was about a soldier, he lost both of his arms and legs and now he wants to blame others, because they don’t understand what he’s going through. Instead of killing them, he makes them suffer, he kills their family and when they want to kill themselves he stops them and keeps them from dying, But ofcourse he can’t do that without any help, he astral-projects and makes a mail guy (who send him to the place where he died) to grab something (like mail) from his victim’s house and in that way he can astral-project to that place and kill his victim’s family.

It all begins with a guy who tells doctors that someone won’t let him die, when he jumps into a burning tub and tries to end his mystery he still doesn’t die.

The boss of the place, when he arrives in his office a shadow says to him ‘It’s your time’. Then soon someone who worked for him who was close to his family is attacked in the swimming pool and drowned.

When the mail guy gets caught after having stolen some mail, he is put in a dark place where the shadow kills him.

Meanwhile, the man begins to kill the sheriff’s family, first his kid under the sand and then his wife.

The man goes then to the guy in the water and he tries to kill himself with a gun but is unable, the other guy tells him who the killer is. The killer is begs the sheriff to kill him but instead he walks away and almost lost his life but instead the burned guy suffocates the killer with a pillow.

The episode was great, I didn’t feel any sadness for the soldier. Sure he had pain and there was no way he could have been helped, no way. But he did a wrong thing, by killing innocents just to make men suffer who didn’t even intent to hurt him.
DPO