The X-Files

The Walk

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 10, 1995 on FOX

7.7
  • The eerie atmosphere of the episode overtakes mostly everything else

If there's one thing that The X-Files does extremely well, it's taking a plot that could be seen as sub-par or cliche and adding their own eerie, twisted sense to it. Some of the scenes here are horrifying and bone-chilling, and Chris Carter has always done a great job of not using over-the-top special effects as a way to shock the audience.. instead, we get lower budget effects that do twice the job in scaring us.

I thought the plot unfolded pretty slow for an episode of X-Files; usually, things are firing on all cylinders, but that let the camera do a great job in showing us awful situations. The scene where the lieutenant colonial tries to burn himself alive in the therapy tub was awful to watch and left me wincing for some minutes afterwards, and the idea of an amputee not only having phantom limb syndrome but a phantom BODY experience, or an out-of-body experience, was pretty cool.

Unfortunately, these episodes always feel rushed and it feels as if we never fully understand the motives for any villain or bad guy in the show except for when it comes to aliens or government conspiracies. But for a stand-alone episode of X-Files, one could do a lot worse.