The X-Files

Triangle

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 22, 1998 on FOX

• Mulder enters the Bermuda Triangle and fights against Nazi's

Season 6, according to my friend, found the X-Files doing a lot more experimental stuff with their stories and the way they filmed episodes, and I can certainly see what he means by the last three episodes. The first three episodes have been great episodes overall, but there was just something incredibly fun and ridiculous about this episode, the same type of fun that episodes like "Small Potatoes" and "Bad Blood" gave us.. while I don't think that they're as good as those, "Triangle" gives us one of the show's finest hours and sort of gives us a Mulder/Scully kiss... but not really.

In fact, my only real problem with the episode is that we never exactly figure out how Mulder goes missing and then enters back into our world. The episode doesn't seem too intent on focusing on the logistics or science of the episode.. instead, it's all about style, as Chris Carter lets the camera stretch on for what feels like ten or fifteen minute long takes (even though they're likely split and expertly edited). I think that, despite how clever Carter was with Mulder and the 1939 plot, I liked Scully's attempts to try and figure out how to help Mulder. The use of C.S.M here wasn't even conspiracy related.. instead, he seemed to exist just to make it even funnier watching Scully get more and more frustrated as she tries to help Mulder.

In fact, I'd be hard-pressed, despite how unbelievably dark some of the moments of the episode are, to call this a straight-up comedy. Scully kissing Skinner in happiness for helping her, Mulder kissing the old Scully in 1939 and then getting punched, and the awkward "I love you" he says to the real Scully at the end that just gets an exasperated sarcastic head nod.. it was just a funny episode that found a way to use every single supporting character the show has used in the last five or six years.

Season 6 is definitely off to a great start. I look forward to seeing where else they go from here.