The X-Files

Trust No 1

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 06, 2002 on FOX

• Trust No 1

Trust No 1 was a superb episode of The X-Files and I really enjoyed watching. The story was intriguing and very engaging as Scully was approached with information that could help save Mulder. It was fun watching her wrestle with her emotions for Mulder while Doggett and Reyes did what they could to help. The mystery man was interesting and it was fun watching Scully be led around in order to meet him. I liked how every thing played out and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!
  • Post Mulder World

A solid "B" effort that showcases Anderson's acting abilities and advances the anemic Super Soldiers storyline somewhat with the revelation that they can be destroyed.

What brings this episode down is subpar writing. The plot is silly and the attempt to create suspense as to whether or not Mulder will reappear is utterly contrived as we all know that he ain't coming back, or at least we should know this given that his name doesn't appear in the credits.

Not that the writers don't try valiantly to evoke the ghost of Mulder by showing us a montage of Mulder shots, creating an exchange of emails between him and Scully and teasing us with his supposed return on a train that (of course) does not stop to let him off. As with most of the episodes in Seasons Eight and Nine, there are a lot of plot holes and inconsistencies in this episode. If the NSA guy can manage to track down Scully's every move, down to her night of sweet, sweet love with Mulder, why can't he locate Mulder? And why would he make Scully go through such an elaborate process to meet him when in the end he simply shows up alone on a public train platform surrounded by FBI agents? How does our short-legged Scully outrun a Super Soldier at the end? And finally, what is up with Reyes' new Farrah Fawcett hairdo?

• The super soldier stuff is interesting but why are we listening to Scully writing nauseatingly mushy emails to Mulder?

Why are we subjected to Scully waxing lyrical about Mulder? Talk about romanticizing, absence must make the heart go fonder because to listen to Scully's painful voiceover, she and Mulder were the greatest lovers since Anthony and Cleopatra. Where Mulder's email is touching, Scully's is nauseating saccharine.

I always thought Scully was a good parent until now – she sits for several minutes staring at the computer without once looking down at William. As a FBI agent, she should know how many young children are abducted in public places. Even better, she lets a complete stranger stay in her house (remember what happened the last time?) when she should have been very suspicious at seeing the same couple twice in one day in a situation designed to make Scully intervene. When did Scully become this selfish? Her priority should be Mulder's safety, not that she misses him – she nearly got him killed because she pulled him out of hiding.

What is this Romeo and Juliet stuff? Disguised as an episode about the super soldiers but that accomplishes nothing and provides only one useful fact: that the super soldiers can be killed by the stuff at the quarry.
  • One of, if not the best, episode of season 9. And, FINALLY, someone gives credence to Scully and Mulder sharing a bed together (as seen in the opener to season seven's "All Things"). It seemed like they were trying to make like it never happened

I had alot of early reservations about a season of my favorite tv show without it's core character. However, I found that the writing for this season picked up kind of a "renewed" vibe with stories that wouldn't have made much sense with Mulder and even different ways of shooting the episodes that gave season 9 an almost "indy film" feel. But this episode showed that it had all the elements that made people watch during the show's "glory days". Gillian Anderson stood out as a truly magnificent actress by showing her character's strength and vulnerability without having her partner there to draw from, that she did for so many years before. REMARKABLE!!!!!!!
  • The X Files at its best.

I really do believe that, i think this episode is fantastic. The writing for this episode is fantastic i really don't know why it doesn't have a higher score. Finally we learn more about where Mulder is and how Scully is in contact with him through email. 'trustno1' hense the name. Anyway Scully finds out that it is still dangerous for Mulder to retuen so she tells him to keep away. I was really nice beliving that Mulder was going to turn up but he never did. Doggett played a good part in this episode and we also see more of the super soldiers. This is definatly one of the best episodes of seaosn 9. Seriously not to be missed.
  • Yawn or not?

7.2
    Good things first: This is a Scully centered episode which in itself is already a garant for a +5 rating because of GA's acting.

Sadly the episode doesn't offer much more than a couple of opportunities for GA to show what an amazing actress she is. The first twenty minutes of this episode are tedious at best. The suspense of wether we get to see Mulder again is actually non-existent (need not even read the news - just read the credits) and therefor painful in it's perseverance.

Then the show takes a turn with again more plotholes than I would have thought a single writer could come up with. Not going to bore you with the details because then it would be really painful to watch. The soundtrack is good though and the actors really give it their best shot.

Also you shouldn't miss this because of the information that is revealed at the end.
  • Superb

I know your blood type, your resting heart rate your childhood fear of clowns. I know the name of your college boyfriend your true hair color, your ATM pin number favorite charities, pet peeves. I know you spend too much time alone. And I know ... that on one lonely night you invited Mulder to your bed.

wow!!!!
  • Love it!

I love this episode so much, because you can sense and see how much Mulder and Scully love each other. The messages they send to each other... love it!!!
    The words are so well choosen in this e-mail messages, great work writers!

Gillian Anderson is such a great actress, she really puts her soul in to Scully, when she cries, I crie too.

I was actually convinced that I also would see Mulder again in this episode. Gosh, was I disappointed! But Scully can do it alone, great work Gill!

For me, this episode belongs with my favourits...

It\'s a pity the series has ended!

Kate

• Wow!

I was so impressed by this installment! Although I definately prefer the episodes where Mulder is present, in the 9th season the crew is obviously working over-time to help make up for the loss. This episode is fast paced and intriguing and leaves the audience stunned at every twist and turn. The cinematography was amazing too and I loved the fact that they showed parts from the end during the opening sequence so that they viewer can't wait to find out what was going on. The audience is also let in on a very juicy secret: Scully is not a natural redhead! One of the best episodes of the season.
  • Weird and wonderful - and Gillian Anderson's acting is extraordinary

This is top notch X Files - a final season episode that puts everyone in danger and moves the story along well.

Scully's feelings are portrayed brilliantly - everything from distrust to belief and whatever in between. The thought of seeing Mulder again, and then nearly getting him killed.

Although the cast list shows 'Terry O'Quinn' as the Shadow Man, for some reason he chose to be listed as Terrance Quinn in the titles. Always a good actor and it's a bit bizarre seeing him in this episode of the X Files without thinking of him in Millennium, where 'Shadow Man' could just as easily have summed up his character.

It's frightening to think that every minute of our lives could be being watched and manipulated - maybe there's a conspiracy theory brewing there too!

Good to see the Super Soldier storyline moved on to a possible way of killing them.
  • A classic example of Gillian Anderson's amazing acting abilties.

I loved this episode. It was an emotional rollercoaster for characters and viewers. The opening sequence was fantastic. I loved the clips from previous episodes show as viewed by another and Scully's voice over was beautiful. Gillian Anderson did a wonderful job of protraying the extreams of emotion Scully was feeling in this episode - sadness, loneliness, anger, resentment, frustration, compassion the list in endless.
    This episode was in my opinion well written and perfectly pitched in the season. I liked the fact that it brought yet another layer to the conspiracy but at the same answered some questions about scully's personal life.
    What was lacking in this episode in terms of spooks was certainly made up for in drama.
  • Finally! A top notch Season 9 episode!

This is really great. From the sad e-mail exchange scene, to the overall cloak-and-dagger conspiracy element, this is exactly what X-Files at it's best should be like. Scully comes so close to seeing Mulder again, and yet so close to getting him whacked. And we learn that super-soldiers may be killable after all. The mythology installment that the opening two-parter should have been.
  • I Love this episode!

(Fade In.)

(During SCULLY's opening voiceover we see a montage of images and scenes from previous seasons and classic MSR (Mulder Scully Romance) episodes. The whole opening teaser is in slow-motion. The classical music playing during this montage of clips is Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky's "The Seasons: Barcarolle", arranged and performed by Richard Grayson. The teaser gives the impression that MULDER and SCULY have been under surveillance for a long time.)

(Black and white image of SCULLY looking at herself in a mirror.)
    (From "WITHIN" 8X01)

(It dissolves into a colourful image of two cars passing each other on a city street at night.)

(Black-and-white image of SCULLY looking down in front of a mirror takes place up-front on screen.)
    (From "WITHIN" 8X01)

(It dissolves into another colourful city street shot, with moving cars and the Capitol Building in the background, well-lit and clearly visible at night. The scene freezes and turns black and white.)

(We cut seamlessly onto SCULLY exiting the hospital, lost in her thoughts, holding a bouquet of flowers in her right hand. Black-and-white footage.)
    (From "all things" 7X17)

(Black and white shot of SCULLY seated in a car behind a steering-wheel in a parking garage. Very sad. Its format is that of a surveillance footage.)
    (From "THE END" 5X20)

(Another black and white shot of SCULLY looking at herself in a mirror.)
    (From "WITHIN" 8X01)

(Black and white image of SCULLY holding an umbrella. As the scene begins playing the screen turns colourful and SCULLY comes up to join MULDER at a crime scene. Then the scene freezes and turns into a black and white surveillance photograph.)
    (From "LEONARD BETTS" 4X14)

(Fade to white)

(The white light melts into a black and white image of MULDER running towards a phone booth, SCULLY close behind him. It is a surveillance photograph, then other black and white surveillance photographs appear, all fast-forwarded until we see a close-up of MULDER holding a phone receiver to his ear. It is also a black and white surveillance photograph.)
    (From "PUSHER" 3X17)

(Fade to black)

(Colourful image of MULDER and SCULLY appears, both sitting in The X Files office. MULDER sitting in his chair behind his table, SCULLY sitting in a chair in front of the table. Very awkward atmosphere, yet *very* memorable moment. The scene freezes and turns black and white.)
    (From Final images of "NEVER AGAIN" 4X13)

(Black and white scene of SCULLY following MULDER through the street. Police officers can be seen in the background.)
    (From "PAPER HEARTS" 4X08)

(Black and white scene of MULDER and SCULLY kneeling over a dead body lying on a floor at the Metro Diner.)
    (From "KILL SWITCH" 5X11)

(MULDER and SCULLY sitting on a couch at MULDER's apartment. The camera angle is from the airvent.)
    (From "MILAGRO" 6X18)

(Black and white surveillance image of MULDER staring ahead of himself, contemplating the next move. The shot freezes, then begins playing as SCULLY leans closer to MULDER to speak to him privately. Very lovely image.)
    (From "THE FIELD WHERE I DIED" 4X05)

(Hallway hug at the hospital. MULDER and SCULLY holding each other. MULDER has his chin on the top of SCULLY's head. He then stokes her hair.)
    (From "MEMENTO MORI" 4X15)

(MULDER smiles at SCULLY, then leans down to her and they kiss.)
    (From "MILLENNIUM" 7X05)

(MULDER embraced SCULLY after her failed attempt at IVF pregnancy. We see her face over his shoulder. Her eyes are filled with tears.)
    (From ("PER MANUM" 8X08)

(MULDER sitting on bed in his motel room, SCULLY examining him.)
    (From "DEMONS" 4X23)

(Standing at SCULLY's apartment close to each other.)
    (From "PER MANUM" 8X08)

(Night. SCULLY approaching MULDER in a desert before their touching "Good-bye" conversation.)
    (From "DREAMLAND II" 6X05)

SCULLY: (Voiceover) One day, you'll ask me to speak of a truth - of the miracle of your birth. To explain what is unexplained. And if I falter or fail on this day, know there is an answer, my child, a sacred imperishable truth, but one you may never hope to find alone. Chance meeting your perfect other, your perfect opposite - your protector and endangeror. Chance embarking with this other on the greatest of journeys - - a search for truths fugitive and imponderable. If one day this chance may befall you, my son, do not fail or falter to seize it. The truths are out there. And if one day you should behold a miracle, as I have in you, you will learn the truth is not found in science, or on some unseen plane, but by looking into your own heart. And in that moment you will be blessed - and stricken. For the truest truths are what hold us together, or keep us painfully, desperately apart.

(We see a new image of SCULLY's devastated face. She is leaning over a lifeless male body laying on a train platform. The green surveillance footage changes into a real- life colourful image.)

WOW its so beautiful i love the beg. i know alot of people did i really loves that like what ilovexfiles said it was good to recap all of the moments like this, all the people who did this episode, directors, writers, evryone did a good job of bring in the people into the world of the x-files... i love this episode!..oh and mulder *cough*
  • i love this episode

i love this episode especially the theme song- just beautiful and i also really liked the black and white recapping of the mulder/scully relationship in the beginning of the episode...really a great start...if only mulder came back then...that would have been just really perfect...this is my favorite episode of this season!
Eve