The X-Files

Trust No 1

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 06, 2002 on FOX

• Post Mulder World

A solid "B" effort that showcases Anderson's acting abilities and advances the anemic Super Soldiers storyline somewhat with the revelation that they can be destroyed.

What brings this episode down is subpar writing. The plot is silly and the attempt to create suspense as to whether or not Mulder will reappear is utterly contrived as we all know that he ain't coming back, or at least we should know this given that his name doesn't appear in the credits.

Not that the writers don't try valiantly to evoke the ghost of Mulder by showing us a montage of Mulder shots, creating an exchange of emails between him and Scully and teasing us with his supposed return on a train that (of course) does not stop to let him off. As with most of the episodes in Seasons Eight and Nine, there are a lot of plot holes and inconsistencies in this episode. If the NSA guy can manage to track down Scully's every move, down to her night of sweet, sweet love with Mulder, why can't he locate Mulder? And why would he make Scully go through such an elaborate process to meet him when in the end he simply shows up alone on a public train platform surrounded by FBI agents? How does our short-legged Scully outrun a Super Soldier at the end? And finally, what is up with Reyes' new Farrah Fawcett hairdo?