The X-Files

Tunguska (1)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 24, 1996 on FOX

• Mulder and Scully find a rock.

Okay, perhaps my summary of the episode was an awful description of what the episode is about, but that will make it all the more surprising when you see it. I didn't read the summary and was surprised at where the episode went.. and the fact that it's a two part episode with a cliffhanger is awesome.

I like that Krycek came back, but I'm not 100% sure I understand how he escaped that missile silo. I'm sure they mentioned it.. or maybe they didn't. Either way, I didn't catch the reasoning, but I was willing to overlook it because his presence in the episode made everything more interesting. Also, Laurie Holden guest starred again as Mulder's mysterious friend in the government and Skinner continues to prove to be a close ally. There was a time when Skinner would be an enemy to Mulder, but over time, he's become a great supporting character.

We're left, once again, with two parallel plots: Mulder in one area and Scully in another. Mulder is captured in Russia while investigating possible alien bacteria with Krycek and is subjected to torture via the black liquid that overtakes your body, while Scully is being questioned in front of a Senate who wants Mulder to be brought to justice for what he's done. It's a crazy way to end a two part episode, but boy, I'm excited to see where they go next. I didn't like the last two part episode they did, which was the season 3 finale/season 4 premiere, but this is a much better direction to go in.