The X-Files

Within (1)

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 05, 2000 on FOX

• Season 8 kicks off strong

Well, so far, so good. People refer to Seasons 8 and 9 as "horrific" or "the terrible seasons," mostly because, I'm assuming, Duchovny is simply a recurring actor on the show here. However, people need to remember that as long as the writing of a show is solid, the show can carry on. Although I agree that there were a few times the show could've ended in the previous seasons, I'm looking forward to how Chris Carter and the rest of the crew and cast can carry the story on for another two seasons.

I'm watching this season at a time when Steve Carrell just recently left "The Office," and while the shadow of his presence still hangs heavy over that show, Duchovny's background appearances in the opening episodes of Season 8 (and the awesome reveal at the end of the first episode) don't remind us of what we're missing so much as act as a way to ease us into a Mulder-less show.

The episode picks up a day after where we were left during Season 7: Scully, pregnant and worried about Mulder, teams up with Skinner in attempting to figure out where in the world Mulder could've disappeared to. As it turns out, Deputy Kersh, that horrible human being from Season 6, has placed a new agent in charge of tracking down Mulder. He's a man named John Doggett (played by Robert Patrick, the man who is to replace Mulder in these final seasons), a quiet man who is good at his job and tries his darndest to find a logical way to find Mulder.

The episode is interesting in the way that it immediately makes us believe that Mulder may still be alive right off the bat and that he's escaped from the UFO and is going around sneaking into Scully's house and into the FBI after they've closed. I'm cursed with outside knowledge, mostly because this show has been done for almost ten years now and I've grown up with people who have loved this show when I was still watching Nickelodian. However, that doesn't mean I'm still in the dark a bit. Chris Carter actually does a great job in misleading us multiple times. By the time we get to the end, where we learn that the chess prodigy Gibson from Seasons 5 and 6 may be what Mulder is after, I was surprised at how well the episode flowed from plot point to plot point.

One thing I didn't enjoy was how Carter tried to make us believe that Mulder has been planning this escape for a long time. I mean, it's clear cut from "Requiem" that Mulder didn't know what he was doing here. He randomly learned about the UFO in the Season seven finale and then when he found out, he walked past the energy field and into the light. It's not as if he was planning his death, and the idea that he was dying is all new to us, the audience, so to learn that he was dying when he's not even on screen for us to hear him respond is a bit of weird storytelling. But putting that aside, we still had a pretty good premiere and a great final moment that I won't spoil.