The X-Files

X-COPS

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 20, 2000 on FOX

• "Cops" clashes with "X-Files"

Maybe it's because "The X-Files" has so few classic episodes anymore throughout the sixth and seventh season, or maybe because it's just a good hour of TV.. I'm not sure, all I know is that this episode was one of the better installments I've seen of the show. It was creative and a precursor to the way that certain TV shows would resort to documentary formats for their own shows.

I loved the way we got a creative new way to follow Scully and Mulder on one of their cases.. it was hilarious to see the way that the cops all were excited to have possible armed suspects, only for us to learn that it was just the two FBI agents. Meanwhile, the thing that they were chasing reminded me of something that Supernatural would do nowadays, which is a good thing.. it kept us on our toes as we tried figuring out where the show was going and who the bad guy would be.

I also thought Vince Gilligan, Chris Carter and the rest of the crew did a great job of capturing that "Cops" feel without losing the feel for "The X-Files." You still had all the typical push/pull between Mulder and Scully, just in a different format. It was a clever episode, one that's much needed in the show at this point in time.