The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

Princeton, February 1916

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 20, 1993 on ABC

• Indy must stop plans for a top-secret invention from falling into enemy hands!

Is it really this much trouble trying to go on a date? Originally airing as part of Season 2 this episode was later re-edited to form the first part of TV movie 'Spring Break Adventure'.

Worried that he might not have a car to take his girlfriend Nancy Stratemeyer to the high school prom a now teenage Indy tries to get help from entrepreneur inventor Thomas Edison. But when plans for a top secret motor are stolen Indy and Nancy find themselves contending with double crossing businessmen as well as German spies who as Indy fears may be about to start a war…

Well I guess Indy's travelling around the world with his parents has come to an end. He's now grown into a teenager played by Sean Patrick Flanery, his mother has sadly died of an illness, Miss Seymour has obviously moved on and Indy's relationship with his father is still just as estranged as it always was. Our young hero is back in his hometown of Princeton but he seems unsure of his place in the world. He has a girlfriend Nancy Statemeyer, the daughter of mystery novelist Edward Statemeyer. He's the creator of the Nancy Drew stories so we can thank him for creating a character who would appear in about a hundred (oh please no more) Nancy Drew PC games. Thanks Ed! Don't worry I like Nancy Drew really. Be rest assured it's all positive criticism. It's a great, nostalgic episode. It's not the location work or cinematography here that stands out, it's more the recreation of old Princeton. There's a dusty and gold brown feel in this story that I thoroughly enjoyed. Watching this show in chronological order is interesting. The first thing I noticed is that this episode in a way represents the calm before the storm. It's all light-hearted and while Indy's life is threatened there can be no doubt he's more than capable of surviving the odds. It's after this story that our young hero joins the army and then things become dangerous for him. This leads to my next point. Watching everything in order allows the viewer to see Indiana Jones as a character evolve and grow. Something I've noticed, which of course was a conscious decision by the writers was that an eight year old Indy for example couldn't deal with the violence of war so stories revolving around Carrier's Indy are more logical, more straightforward. There is very little threat in his stories while teenage Indy played by Flanery is always in mortal danger and the lessons he learns are aimed more for those reaching adulthood. It doesn't in any way take away the terrific stories presented in the Carrier episodes but you don't need to guess why Flanery's episodes were more appealing when they originally aired. As Carrier did Sean Patrick Flanery also does an amazing interpretation of the character we all know and love. He brings just the right amount of naivety that Carrier had but also infuses Indy with more experience, which is what you'd expect from someone slightly older. Seeing the show in order allows for more continuity. Everything fits together in no small part thanks to George Lucas who shows he's an expert at outlining a history for a whole universe in his head. In retrospect Indy losing his mother makes Corey Carrier's last story 'Peking, March 1910' all the more sad considering it's his mother that helps bring her son back to health. As for the story there isn't anything to complain about. It's a solid story that has Indy jumping through some very large hoops to get his girlfriend Nancy to the high school prom. It's enjoyable watching the two spying on German operatives and trying to recover secret plans for a new invention. The guest stars put in decent performances with Robyn Lively and Lee Lively (no relation) doing a reasonable job as daughter/father. Also of note is Mark L. Taylor who I always enjoy watching. Time and time again Joe Johnston has proven himself as an exciting director who is capable of recreating the past successfully. As a result the car chases work really well. There's a great sense of speed and authenticity to how they move. There's also some nice foreshadowing of the war. Indy thinks that if the Germans send the plans back to their country America (as well as Thomas Edison) will be at a disadvantage, finding itself in World War One. By the end it becomes clear that things are much more business orientated. Edison wants his plans back but it'd be interesting to see what would happen if the situation was reversed. At the end of the day it's all about business opportunities… It's not the best episode to feature Flanery in the role of Indy. He does seem rather uncomfortable with the slapstick (something Carrier didn't have a problem with) but it's still a good episode filled with action, adventure and many laughs set in a nicely recreated 1916 America.